Dual Gigabit Ethernet LAN

evocraigst

i hoping someone has done this already , i just got 2 dual gigabit nic's  one for my pc and one for unraid server in hope to get 2gb connection , would be going via a 16 port gigabit switch but my router goes mental kicks all wifi users and no access , am i doing sumink wrong ? should i just connect 2 cat 6 cable to the switch ?

any help or suggestions will be helpful

You will need to enable some kind of port channel / trunk  (LACP / 802.3ad),  this will need to be configured on the switch and both devices.

If you don't do this then you may be creating a loop which will most likely manifest as you have described.

Due to the way LACP works don't expect to be able to copy at 2gb between two devices.... each flow will get pinned to a single nic at each end resulting in only getting up to 1gb per connection.

well i had to remover router and use my modem to sort it and no longer crashed the network , i got 115mb up and 60-70mb down , but that dont seem right , i know windows 10 and nic card aint great but wanted a better download

Linking 2 gigabit connections does not increase the rate of sending one file.

What it gives you is the ability to move two files at that same speed.

Try your transfer with 2 files and see if they are both coming in at the same rate.

I can't see much benefit of it in a home media server/nas situation.  It might be worth it in a small business with multiple computers needing to access/copy large files back and forth to the server on a constant basis. 

I have my synology 1513+ with lacp enabled to my 24 port HP Procurve and cant tell a bit of difference.

i was happy with the 100mb , witch i wana keep , but after lots of playing i found out my router was very very buggy , so did a factory reset and start from new , now i noticed lots of issues fixed , no more crashes , and i can now see all pc's on network and servers with no errors on opening to view files :) is best to keep single lan disconnected and only use dual gigabit ?

Archived