Unresponsive unRAiD

methanoid

I have a Win10VM (setup as per Wiki so no power management issues) on top of unRAID.

I come down this morning and screen is blank (like time out from VM) and mouse movement makes no difference. It is "dead"

But the VM hasnt passed back the control to the Console so no KB & Mouse there.

Try login to WebUI on phone (no fun on 4in screen) and no response.

No choice but to reboot. So I still have so far failed to create parity. Twice now...  And could not capture any logs either. Wondering why parity creation seems to lock the machine? Machine has been completely stable in "other products" ;)

I may have solved my own problem...

I had one disk at 98% full...

I didnt see that unRAID has ALL hard disks defaulting to

Warning disk utilization level (%): at 70%

Critical disk utilization level (%): at 90%

So presumably at 90% of parity completion it then barfs?

Why would a default setting mean you cannot use the capacity (or even close) of the drive. For a 5Tb drive that means I am expected to leave 500Gb empty? And would I want a warning at 70% of capacity (when 1.5Tb is free)?

I have changed the values on each HDD and set the Parity drive "critical" level at 1% higher than the Data drives. Fingers crossed that is the issue. Parity sync again... See what happens in 14 hours or so

The disk utilization levels have nothing to do with parity.  The levels are merely used for deciding what color coding should be used in the GUI, and also when notifications should be sent about disk usage.  They do not stop you exceeding the values set.  With the 6.1.7 release you can set a global (i.e. default) value for these settings, and also if wanted override the default at the individual drive level.

Unfortunately this means that changing those values will have no effect on your parity issue.

The disk utilization levels have nothing to do with parity.  The levels are merely used for deciding what color coding should be used in the GUI, and also when notifications should be sent about disk usage.  They do not stop you exceeding the values set.  With the 6.1.7 release you can set a global (i.e. default) value for these settings, and also if wanted override the default at the individual drive level.

Unfortunately this means that changing those values will have no effect on your parity issue.

Damn... OK.. I'm stumped then!

Still barfing.. went without ANY VM or Dockers.. barfs in around 10m of trying to do parity check. Can't grab logs cos the machine is locked completely.

Disabling parity check and running VM again. See if it locks at all or if its the creation of parity that is the problem.  Does LT do any support or do they rely completely on the Forum doing the job for them?

Still barfing.. went without ANY VM or Dockers.. barfs in around 10m of trying to do parity check. Can't grab logs cos the machine is locked completely.

Disabling parity check and running VM again. See if it locks at all or if its the creation of parity that is the problem.  Does LT do any support or do they rely completely on the Forum doing the job for them?

See http://lime-technology.com/services/

And there was me thinking a paid product (repackaging free opensource stuff like KVM, Docker) might actually mean some support...  Silly me! :(

And there was me thinking a paid product (repackaging free opensource stuff like KVM, Docker) might actually mean some support...  Silly me! :(

The normal route for support from LimeTech is via email, not via the forums (which are all about community support).  The paid services (which are a recent addition) are for those who want a higher level of interaction than email provides.

Archived