We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

Successful Intel IGD GPU Passthru(primary) + QEMU/KVM + Android-x86 VirtualizN

Raghavan Santhanam

Cool proof of concept, but lacking details.  Curious if this was using custom patches or stock QEMU builds.  Also curious if you could get other operating systems to work such as Windows.  Also curious if this works with desktop class CPUs and their IGD chipsets (slightly different than mobile).

IGD pass through definitely looks like it will be possible this year with Haswell and Skylake chipsets. Not sure if support will be added to go further back in the product family, but only time will tell).

Just an FYI, this isn't actually the first case of IGD pass through working on KVM from what I understand, but certainly is the first POC video I've seen demonstrating it.  In the past, there was some folks that had it working with specific hardware and with extra patches that aren't part of the default qemu package.

IGD pass through definitely looks like it will be possible this year with Haswell and Skylake chipsets.

I can't win to lose, upgraded my CPU from dual Celeron to i3 to i7 ivy. Here is hoping that iGD supports ivy! I don't think I can justify a whole new server.

Don't get your hopes up, at least not for the first iteration of IGD support. Everything we see in the mailing list seems to refer to Haswell and skylake only.

I have an Asrock H77M-ITX board that I am using with Vmware ESXi. I had to disable onboard audio and the IGPU (& some other stuff) to get it to work with the only PCIe slot. Does this mean I can re-enable the IGPU and pass it?

This for KVM not ESXI aiui....  Not sure you can extrapolate this to your use case.  And it's still early days as jonp has stated.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE :

Here are my other successful stories :

Successful Intel IGD GPU Passthru(primary) + QEMU/KVM + Windows 10 LTSB 64-bit Virtualization  =>

<

Successful Intel IGD GPU Passthru(primary) + QEMU/KVM + Ubuntu 15.10 64-bit Virtualization =>

<

NOTE:

* Yes, I have my Intel IGD as the passed-thru GPU and not Nvidia GPU though my laptop has both.

The GPU(Intel IGD) details verified inside the guest can be seen in the videos at various places.

* Yes, there have been many reports in which people have passed-thru their Intel IGD but *none*

of them have have a fully working guest like in my case(there are number of issues reported with Intel

drivers leading to display issues for the guest, etc) and thus, I have said in the demo that mine is the

*first* such "successful" end-to-end attempt  in having everything working from Intel IGD passthru to

guest's expected graphics performance.

Thanks,

Raghavan

This is indeed impressive, but without more details on how this was configured, it's not really all that useful.  The main things would be libvirt XML and QEMU version / patches.  Do you know a list of hardware that is supported/not supported?

I know there are improvements coming to QEMU for Intel Integrated Graphics pass through (i-GVTg), but curious if you're using experimental up-stream patches or if you're just using a stock build of QEMU 2.5.  Either way, good job on the successful project!

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE :

With my earlier success in Intel-IGD-passthru with QEMU/KVM running Android-x86,

here's a related update that showcases a variety of Advance HD Android games/apps

running smoothly. The best part is that the impact and usefulness of my earlier

research work on "Android Sensor Emulation" now can be seen in such a

hardware-accelerated environment.

Watch it in action : <

**== Android Sensor Emulation, fully UNLEASHED! ==**

- Fueled by GoogleNexus5

- Powered by Intel IGD

- Run on QEMU/KVM

**== Android Sensor Emulation, fully UNLEASHED!! ==**

- Turn your Android Smartphone into a JOYSTICK!

- Play. Every. Single. Motion-sensor game. On. Any. Sensor-less Android device.

- Run. Every. Single. sensor-based application. On. Any. Sensor-less Android device.

- Let your games and other applications be "unique selves". No need to alter your "favorite" game or "useful" other sensor-based application to make use of my Android Sensor Emulation support.

**== DETAILS ==**

My current work as shown by this demo emulates the below 27 sensors(all the sensors of Google Nexus 5). Watch the video for more and precise details.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Accelerometer

2. Light

3. Proximity

4. Magnetometer

5. Gyroscope

6. Gravity

7. Linear Acceleration

8. Orientation

9. Rotation Vector

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

10. Game Rotation Vector

11. Barometer

12. Step Detector

13. Step Counter

14. Significant Motion Detector

15. Tilt Detector

16. Absolute Motion Detector(AMD)

17. Relative Motion Detector(RMD)

18. Basic Gestures

19. Tap Detector

20. Facing Detector

21. (QTI) Tilt Detector

22. Pedometer

23. Pedestrian Activity Monitor

24. Geomagnetic Rotation Vector

25. (InvenSense) Game Rotation Vector

26. Magnetometer (Uncalibrated)

27. Gyroscope (Uncalibrated)

Cheers,

Raghavan

This is indeed impressive, but without more details on how this was configured, it's not really all that useful.  The main things would be libvirt XML and QEMU version / patches.  Do you know a list of hardware that is supported/not supported?

I know there are improvements coming to QEMU for Intel Integrated Graphics pass through (i-GVTg), but curious if you're using experimental up-stream patches or if you're just using a stock build of QEMU 2.5.  Either way, good job on the successful project!

Somehow I don't think he is interested in sharing info, more about promoting his "achievements" :(

Somehow I don't think he is interested in sharing info, more about promoting his "achievements" :(

Wait, you mean he's not part of the elite rock stars who is running this on unraid 6.2? I just figured what with all the youtube videos and blogs about it, it was some sort of LimeTech elite rock star. It seems so much like the Linus TechTips promotions, where there is no way for the common person to run all this goodness, yet, that I thought it was just another one of them.

Unlike some people's work with "commercial" intentions, mine is a pure independent research work driven by my passion. No one is paying for me nor I am monetizing these in any way. I wanted to share my success stories with like-minded people. So, I found this forum to be one of those who use KVM and also one old thread about Intel IGD passthru on XEN(with some primary VGA discussions). Thus, I shared the proceedings of my work here.

Having said that, thanks to all those who found my work "impressive".

Raghavan

Wait, you mean he's not part of the elite rock stars who is running this on unraid 6.2? I just figured what with all the youtube videos and blogs about it, it was some sort of LimeTech elite rock star. It seems so much like the Linus TechTips promotions, where there is no way for the common person to run all this goodness, yet, that I thought it was just another one of them.

Agreed... We should start a poll (in the lounge) with what the holdup is, certainly one of the options should be "I don't have enough YouTube hits to be considered enough of an elite rock star to use the new software"... I have some other ideas also.  :P

Edit: I'm bored, it is here http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=46810.0

Unlike some people's work with "commercial" intentions, mine is a pure independent research work driven by my passion. No one is paying for me nor I am monetizing these in any way. I wanted to share my success stories with like-minded people. So, I found this forum to be one of those who use KVM and also one old thread about Intel IGD passthru on XEN(with some primary VGA discussions). Thus, I shared the proceedings of my work here.

Having said that, thanks to all those who found my work "impressive".

Raghavan

I think what people are trying to say is that you are indeed sharing your stories.....

However people would be far more interested in how you wrote the book.

Telling everyone that you got something working is pointless unless you tell them HOW you got something working...

Archived