APC UPS - Old Battery Data

clevoir

I am running 6.1.8 and my UPS battery has just failed, I am using a APC Back-UPS RS 800 Unit

I have put a new battery in and powered up the array, but the old battery data is stilll being reported

Online LOWBATT 100.0 Percent 2.3 Minutes 540 Watts 124 Watts 23.0 Percent

MANDATE 2009-09-26

BATTDATE 2009-09-26

I appreciate that a new battery may taken some time to charge, but it has now been charging for 5 hours and the remaing time figure has not changed

Also I have a apcupsd folder and a dynamix.apcupsd folder in the config folder, both of which have a copy of the same cfg file?

It's as if the old data stored on the UPS about the old battery needs to be deleted

I have tried disconnecting the UBS cable to the UPS, and plugging back in but this has no effect

Also I have apcupsd and dynamix.apcupsd folders in my config folder both of which have the same cfg fille?

Not sure about the not recognising the new battery properly but I can tell you that the  BATTDATE  2009-09-26 has no effect on the ups function and is a field you change manual if req using the command line tool.

Did you hot swop the battery if so you sometimes will need to do a self test for it to register the new battery

Also look at the apctest  section on this page https://help.ubuntu.com/community/apcupsdit tells you how to set battdate and recalibrate the battery etc.

In order to run apctest, you must first stop the ups stuff in unraid

Probably also a good idea to check the actual battery pack it is made up of 2 battery and may have a bad connection between them

Always good to tighten up the crimps with a pair of pliers anytime you replace spade lug type connections. Simply squeeze the connector a little flatter, so the space where the spade inserts is slightly tighter. It should be a little difficult to replace the connector.

I connected the UPS to another PC which had the APC Powerchute software on it, and reset the battery replacement date, and also carried out a self test.

Unraid now showss:-

UPS Status Battery Charge Runtime Left Nominal Power UPS Load UPS Load %

Online 100.0 Percent 109.6 Minutes 540 Watts 5 Watts 1.0 Percent

Look looks like the Nominal Power ans UPS Load are being shown incorrectly, I guess that this info is reported by the UPS rather than Unraid doing the calculation

Once the battery had failed, I did use another APC UPS that I own to power the array (Back-UPS CS 650) and this reported data correctly

In googling I have found some sites stating that the battery constant has to be reset aftetr the battery has been replaced, but this seems to be more for the RS232 serial UPS's rather than the UPS one's

This https://conetrix.com/Blog/manually-esetting-an-apc-smart-ups-battery-constant-after-new-battery-replacement is the page I have found mentioned that the battery constant must be resset after a new battery is installled. But this mentions serial cable whereas I have a USB cable instead

I have now run a number of self tests, which indicate that the new battery is OK, however the UPS is still reporting the wrong information.

I has hoped that it was simply a case of replacing the defective battery, turnign the UPS back on, and the UPS should then reset to the new batteries settings?

I have not done a full battery calibration, how is that carried out, using the APC powerchute software?

Just about all of  the sites which I can find about resettting the battery constant are for serial RS232 connections, whilst my UPS is USB?

If you look at the link in the second post of this thread it tells you how to do it basically

1/ stop the ups software in unraid 

2/ ssh into unraid

3/ run apctest  chose option 10

4/ wait :)

• Like 1

Thanks for your reply, I have now done a self calibration as described here http://forums.apc.com/spaces/4/back-ups-surge-protectors/forums/general/2386/reset-battery-replacement-date

I have run the UPS flat using a 500W floodlight, and I am now going to charge it overnight

Hopefully when I plug it back into my array, it should have the right information.

Why don't APC put this information in the sheets that they provide you with a new battery, the ones that are included simply show you how to physically change the battery?

Just to report back for anyone else in my position, after recharging the UPS overnight, it is now reporting the correct information again in UnRaid

UPS Status Battery Charge Runtime Left Nominal Power UPS Load UPS Load %

Online 100.0 Percent 21.5 Minutes 540 Watts 205 Watts 38.0 Percent

Now I  kinow what I need to do when the batteries fail in the other two APC UPS's in have ;D

Now that the UPS is sorted, I am curious why I have two config files for the UPS

In the config folder, I have an apcupsd folder containing an apcupsd.cfg file. In the same config folder I also have a dynamix.apcupsd folder containing a dynamix.apcupsd.cfg file

apcupsd.cfg

#apcupsd configuration

SERVICE="enable"

UPSCABLE="usb"

CUSTOMUPSCABLE=""

UPSTYPE="usb"

DEVICE=""

BATTERYLEVEL="10"

MINUTES="10"

TIMEOUT="0"

KILLUPS="NO"

dynamix.apcupsd.cfg

SERVICE="enable"

UPSCABLE="usb"

CUSTOMUPSCABLE=""

UPSTYPE="usb"

DEVICE=""

BATTERYLEVEL="10"

MINUTES="10"

TIMEOUT="0"

KILLUPS="no"

Should I have both, and if not which one do I delete?

Now that the UPS is sorted, I am curious why I have two config files for the UPS

In the config folder, I have an apcupsd folder containing an apcupsd.cfg file. In the same config folder I also have a dynamix.apcupsd folder containing a dynamix.apcupsd.cfg file

apcupsd.cfg

#apcupsd configuration

SERVICE="enable"

UPSCABLE="usb"

CUSTOMUPSCABLE=""

UPSTYPE="usb"

DEVICE=""

BATTERYLEVEL="10"

MINUTES="10"

TIMEOUT="0"

KILLUPS="NO"

dynamix.apcupsd.cfg

SERVICE="enable"

UPSCABLE="usb"

CUSTOMUPSCABLE=""

UPSTYPE="usb"

DEVICE=""

BATTERYLEVEL="10"

MINUTES="10"

TIMEOUT="0"

KILLUPS="no"

Should I have both, and if not which one do I delete?

Keep the dynamix.apcupsd and delete the other.