IPMI and reboot

squirrellydw

Using IPMI on my Supermicro board how do I reboot if I need to and do it cleanly?  I only see power down, power up and reset?

IPMI allows you to remotely do some of the functions you otherwise would have to do locally, like power up/down, reset, etc, but like there's not a clean reboot button you your server, it's also not possible to do it by IPMI, clean reboot usually has to be done at the OS level.

You could probably use the "Graceful Shutdown" option, I never tried it but I guess it works like pressing the power button once, with the powerdown plugin that initiates a clean shutdown, then you could power up again.

I haven't used it with IPMI, that I can remember, but I have held the power switch on the cases of 2 servers, a number of times, and the powerdown plug worked just fine to shut down cleanly. So I would imagine that would work the same as the power down with IPMI.

I would try it on my backup server now to verify but I'm doing a 5 hour parity check now.

I haven't used it with IPMI, that I can remember, but I have held the power switch on the cases of 2 servers, a number of times, and the powerdown plug worked just fine to shut down cleanly. So I would imagine that would work the same as the power down with IPMI.

Holding the power switch typically forces an unclean shutdown if held for more than the set period, typically 5 seconds or so. A single press and release of the button should trigger the shutdown function.

"Graceful Shutdown", if you have that option, and your OS is healthy.  That being said, I don't see it working with unRAID unless the array is already shut down.

See here for a powerdown plugin that will do exactly that: 

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=31735.0

I would actually like to see someone test that.

I have done it (quick push of the power button) and the server shutdown gracefully (no parity check on restart).  You may not realize but the power switch is connected to the MB and the MB detects that push and sends a signal to the PS to either power up the entire PS or shut it down via the OS into its 'standby' mode.  Unless, you physically pull the plug, the PS is always providing power to the MB so that the PS can be woken-up by events such as the power button depression or a wake-up-on-LAN signal.  If the MB is completely locked up then the long depression of the power button will force the PS to go into its standby mode.  This, of course, causes an unclean shutdown of the system which many OS's will detect and on restart will usually initiate a recovery process.

"Graceful Shutdown", if you have that option, and your OS is healthy.  That being said, I don't see it working with unRAID unless the array is already shut down.

I have done it (quick push of the power button) and the server shutdown gracefully (no parity check on restart).  You may not realize but the power switch is connected to the MB and the MB detects that push and sends a signal to the PS to either power up the entire PS or shut it down via the OS into its 'standby' mode.  Unless, you physically pull the plug, the PS is always providing power to the MB so that the PS can be woken-up by events such as the power button depression or a wake-up-on-LAN signal.  If the MB is completely locked up then the long depression of the power button will force the PS to go into its standby mode.  This, of course, causes an unclean shutdown of the system which many OS's will detect and on restart will usually initiate a recovery process.

Yes, I am well aware of how it works. I, personally, had not read about anybody shutting down unraid, gracefully, from within IPMI.

It would be nice to be able to use the supermicro ipmi android app to be able to cleanly shutdown unraid. Don't see it happening though...

Just tested it and it works, "Graceful Shutdown" together with the powerdown plugin.

Works the same on the Android App.

Tested and works! Cool as hell...  Thanks Johnnie.:)

Yes, I am well aware of how it works. I, personally, had not read about anybody shutting down unraid, gracefully, from within IPMI.

My backup server is started up by my main server every day at 1am with ipmi, then rsync synchronized, then shut down gracefully with ipmi.  This is documented here on the site where I shared my full script.

My backup server is started up by my main server every day at 1am with ipmi, then rsync synchronized, then shut down gracefully with ipmi.  This is documented here on the site where I shared my full script.

I've thought of doing that but had no idea how to go about it, can you point me to that script?

I've thought of doing that but had no idea how to go about it, can you point me to that script?

I believe tr0910 was referring to this post he made a while back:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=28963.msg259351#msg259351

I'm using version 2.20 and just powered down and back up with IPMI and its doing a parity check and said unclean shut down.  Any idea?

What option did you do via ipmi?

Did you select Reset or did you select Power Cycle or did you select Turn Off?

I selected power down, I only have Power Down, Power Up and Reset

yeah, I think that's your problem. Your ipmi power down does a hard power cycle.

Once your parity check is done, you should try the following, Ipmi Reset, then after it safely shuts down to reboot and when it's booting up before it loads the OS you can Ipmi PowerDown.

Archived