6.2 beta 21 AMD CPU KVM bug?

Just stick with 6.1.9 until they try the new Qemu in 6.3.  It sucks I know, but no one is going to try and fix this for us until then.

it does suck - this was reported in the 6.2 Beta 21 back in may - it never should have made it to production, and there should be a large warning on the 6.2 upgrade for AMD users - i would not have moved to 6.2 if i had known.

Same problem. On a X3 processor.

warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.80000001H:EDX [bit 0]
warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.80000001H:EDX [bit 1]
warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.80000001H:EDX [bit 2]
warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.80000001H:EDX [bit 3]
warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.80000001H:EDX [bit 4]
warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.80000001H:EDX [bit 5]
warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.80000001H:EDX [bit 6]
warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.80000001H:EDX [bit 7]
warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.80000001H:EDX [bit 8]
warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.80000001H:EDX [bit 9]
warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.80000001H:EDX [bit 12]
warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.80000001H:EDX [bit 13]
warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.80000001H:EDX [bit 14]
warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.80000001H:EDX [bit 15]
warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.80000001H:EDX [bit 16]
warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.80000001H:EDX [bit 17]
warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.80000001H:EDX [bit 23]
warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.80000001H:EDX [bit 24]

Limetech: when does this get fixed?!

I would like to recommend to all who have posted here, or may post in the future, to please include in your post (modify it if needed) what CPU you are using and the OS of the VM.  One suggestion so far is that this affects Windows 10 VM's on an AMD CPU, FX series.  Please also include the errors you saw, and whether they are the same as others here, so it can be determined if it is the same issue, or there are multiple issues.  Please also try Eric's (eschultz) suggestions, report anything useful you discover.

Firstly i do NOT have the problem described, i dont know if this will help but thought it worth mentioning that it doesn't affect all users running Windows 10 with AMD FX CPU's

I have an AMD FX 6300 CPU and im running a single KVM VM with OS Windows 10 Pro (Anniversary edition), host is currently running unRAID 6.2.2.

M/B: ASUSTeK Computer INC. - M5A78L-M LX V2

CPU: AMD FX™-6300 Six-Core @ 3500

HVM: Enabled

IOMMU: Disabled

Cache: 288 kB, 6144 kB, 8192 kB

Memory: 16 GB (max. installable capacity 16 GB)*

Network: eth0: 1000 Mb/s, full duplex, mtu 1500

Kernel: Linux 4.4.26-unRAID x86_64

edit - forgot to mention im not doing any fancy GPU passthrough, not sure if you guys hitting this issue are doing that or not?

I would like to recommend to all who have posted here, or may post in the future, to please include in your post (modify it if needed) what CPU you are using and the OS of the VM.  One suggestion so far is that this affects Windows 10 VM's on an AMD CPU, FX series.  Please also include the errors you saw, and whether they are the same as others here, so it can be determined if it is the same issue, or there are multiple issues.  Please also try Eric's (eschultz) suggestions, report anything useful you discover.

I have been experimenting with VMs on my various AMD machines.

I have had Windows 7, 8.1 and 10 running in a VNC VM using the "Cortex" server hardware.  They all seem to work fine, but don't support IOMMU.

M/B: ASUSTeK Computer INC. - M3A78-T

CPU: AMD Phenom™ II X6 1100T @ 3300

IOMMU: Disabled

Cache: 768 kB, 3072 kB, 6144 kB

Memory: 16 GB

To do the GPU passthrough, I ran a test using my current Windows 7 rig (newer hardware, supports IOMMU) ... so I grabbed a Trial key and an old SSD/GPU and am now running a test Windows 10 VM with GPU passthrough.  Yes, I'm posting from it.  :D

M/B: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. - F2A85-V PRO

CPU: AMD A10-5800K APU with Radeon™ HD Graphics @ 3800

IOMMU: Enabled

Cache: 192 kB, 4096 kB

Memory: 32 GB

GPU: AMD Radeon HD 3450 (01:00.0)

Audio: AMD RV620 HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 3400 Series] (01:00.1)

The GPU is an old AMD Radeon HD 3450 PCIe card that includes VGA, DVI-D and HDMI.  I'm using the last two ports in a dual-monitor setup.  DVI-D is my main at 2560x1600, and HDMI runs the secondary at 1920x1080.  Sound output goes to the HDMI monitor which is not optimal, but this is just a test run.

I found that I got the weird "host doesn't support requested feature" errors only when configuring the pass-through audio.  There were two options:

AMD FCH Azalia Controller (00:14.2)

or

AMD RV620 HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 3400 Series] (01:00.1)

The first one caused the errors, the second one worked fine and seems more obvious now to be the proper selection.

So far, the new VM is working well.  Simple tests like email, web surfing, flipping through images, and viewing video.  I mainly had a problem trying to view MOV files using the Windows 10 "Movies and TV" app ... which crashes Windows hard enough that the mouse won't move anymore.  These files view properly using VLC, though.

Otherwise I am able to print to my wifi printer, and talk to USB devices: thumb drive, BD-ROM drive and webcam.

*Note: I shared specific USB devices, I have not configured a particular USB hub ... yet.

All of these tests were run on unRAID 6.2.1 and 6.2.2 ... so I don't know if this is a recent fix since I didn't try the older releases.

I also have a slightly newer GPU - ASUS EAH4350 graphics card (ATI RADEON® HD4350 GPU) that I'll test run a little later.

Why did Limetech finalize 6.2.x if they knew hardware didn't work like AMD FX CPUs?  They also broke the webui on 6.1.9 as soon as 6.2.0 came out, it got fixed.  Don't they test?

The 6.1.9 webGUI situation was a perfect storm of coincidences, of changes by independent developers, not all from Lime Technology, and I believe there's an explanation of it somewhere.  Yes, there's testing, but it could only catch this out in the field, too late, as it just happened to be the finalizing of 6.2.

And Limetech doesn't test with any machines with an AMD CPU, they didn't have any, and had no reason to think it made any difference, it never had before.  AND it wouldn't necessarily have made any difference anyway, as it's not an issue with some AMD's, not even every AMD FX CPU.  Limetech is not Microsoft, they can't carry and test on every possible CPU, disk controller, USB device, motherboard, etc.  This is going to happen from time to time, as users discover issues on their own very diverse hardware.

Limetech people have always been extremely helpful and nice, always ready to bend over backwards to find answers and fix problems.  Why not give them a chance to do so?  I've never been able to understand the negative attitudes that appear so quickly when something breaks.  Software development is hard, and ALWAYS involves issues, finding AND fixing them.  Users generally always expect new products to be perfectly tested and safe when they install them, but NO system is perfectly tested until it has been fully tested on EVERY user's system, on every users hardware and software and addons, in each user's specific environment with their particular usage patterns and quirks.

Sorry Paul, this wasn't aimed at you, but it touched a nerve!

6.3 RC3 still shows

2016-10-30T16:01:43.727126Z qemu-system-x86_64: AMD CPU doesn't support hyperthreading. Please configure -smp options properly

On a win 10 VM with GPU pass through

On an Ubuntu VM with no passthrough all error messages have gone from the logs.

6.3 RC3 still shows

2016-10-30T16:01:43.727126Z qemu-system-x86_64: AMD CPU doesn't support hyperthreading. Please configure -smp options properly

Have you tried changing:

<topology sockets='1' cores='1' threads='2'/>

to

<topology sockets='1' cores='2' threads='1'/>

This is for 2 cores.

6.3 RC3 still shows

Have you tried changing:

<topology sockets='1' cores='1' threads='2'/>

to

<topology sockets='1' cores='2' threads='1'/>

This is for 2 cores.

Thanks

That removes the errors for the W10 VM with GPU passthrough under 6.3RC3.

Now to find a solution on IOMMU groups for my USB3 card passthrough.

Hopefully the system will remain stable with this VM running now otherwise I need to go back to barebones and start again

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey guys, I had some time to play last night and I got everything working now without any errors or XML editing.  I don't know whether it was luck or just that they fixed it, but here's what I did.

I went in and shut down all my VMs (ubuntu, pfSense, Windows 7, Windows 10, OpenELEC).  Stop the array, and back everything up.  I went from 6.1.9 to 6.2.4 via the plugin page.  Just go in and click update on the unRAID plugin.  Reboot your server, delete your docker.img file and file up the array.  You'll notice all your VMs are there but you will need to go in and reselect the locations of the iso and the vdisk for some reason.  My kept saying they couldn't be found until I went back and just reselected them on the edit page.  Windows 10 worked without any issues, Windows 7 on the other hand to some toying with.  First, it would hang on the "Windows is loading files" screen.  I knew there was an issue with the video driver, so I switched that to Cirrus and it did get to the startup repair screen.  For some reason I had to reload all the virtIO drivers as Windows could not find the OS to boot, I hope to understand this a little better.  Either way, I got it to a repair window where I was able to load the drivers in the proper order as if I was instilling Windows fresh.  As soon as I installed the virtstor driver, it froze for about 5 minutes, then went into the desktop.

Now I am not sure whether QEMU was "fixed" or what, but I did not have to change anything in the XML.  This was what unRAID has based on my selections on the edit page:

<cpu mode='host-passthrough'>
    <topology sockets='1' cores='3' threads='1'/>
  </cpu>

I know it is hard to get any help from anyone on these issues, but I got sick of being stuck on 6.1.9 last night and finally had the time to let my network go down and get some things figured out.  If anyone has any questions, I would be glad to try and help.  This has been so frustrating and I am so relieved to finally have it working like it should be.

Note:  I still do have this error showing in the log, but unless something stops working, I am going to disregard it.

warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.80000001H:EDX [bit 16]
warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.80000001H:EDX [bit 17]
warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.80000001H:EDX [bit 23]
warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.80000001H:EDX [bit 24]
warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.80000001H:EDX [bit 0]
warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.80000001H:EDX [bit 1]
warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.80000001H:EDX [bit 2]
warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.80000001H:EDX [bit 3]
warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.80000001H:EDX [bit 4]
warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.80000001H:EDX [bit 5]
warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.80000001H:EDX [bit 6]
warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.80000001H:EDX [bit 7]