Weird drawing artifacts when started with webGUI

Hi,

I started my unraid after a break of a week or 2 and I have some weird issues with how it displays itself on my screen.

I didn't change any hardware or BIOS options (except setting up boot from unraid usb and switching to iGFX from Auto).

I took a picture of how logging screen looks like.

i9KtkRm.png

As you can see at the bottom of a screen there's an area of "pixel noise" and if you look closer at the top you will see that that bottom part is drawn there but with some kind of shift to the left (notice that green-ish vertical 'flare' starting at login editbox and where is is at the top of the screen)

When I log in bottom part becomes black and webGUI is drawing like it was early '70s not a frikking Skylake iGPU. Top of the screen continues to display bottom part but without shit to the left. And when I move mouse cursor over it it gets redrawn with what should be there: tabs of web browser that is showing webGUI. And I also don't have access to that "start menu" that allows to start Midnight Commander and terminal.

Anybody has any idea WTF? It really was working fine last time I was using it. And when I connect from my laptop there's no problems with speed or layout of webGUI so it must be something local to server. Something wrong with graphics drivers or sth?

I'm running memtest right now.

Other weird things started to happen. I restarted unRaid and when I booted up webGUI showed me registration page even though I had still 13 days of trial left. I requested another trial but when I pasted url to key it failed to download it. Also all my configuration of shares and assigned drives was gone, everything looked just like fresh installation. So I formatted my pendrive and copied unRaid files again and after that trial key was downloaded successfully. But those issues with displaying unRaid UI are still occurring.

memtest is at 55% now, running test #10[Modulo 20, Random Pattern]. No errors found yet and I really doubt there will be any.

This is exactly stuff that was keeping me from committing fully to unRaid. Weird issues with system that as all Linuxes is fking mess when it gets corrupted. And it got corrupted by god knows what. I guess I won't invest any money into license any time soon. Shame because today morning I was thinking "today is the day".

Well, if there's UI mode why wouldn't I want to use it? I can run unRaid without it but is that how it should be? It got broken in very mysterious way but that's fine because real man ssh?

Anyway, looks like now everything works again. I didn't change anything in BIOS or hardware but after few restarts new copy of unRaid booted up into webGUI without any issues. Then I just copied config files from old installation to this new one and I have everything configured as it was. Just as it messed itself up it fixed itself as well. Very frikking trustworthy.

The local GUI only exists for a single reason - If you happen to use a VM within unRaid as your Main Desktop (and don't have any other real way to access the GUI should something happen with the VM)

Thats assuming that the EmHttpd single threaded web server didnt get hung up already like its very prone to do. When thats the situation, the only thing to be done is reboot the unraid server, which works perfectly fine via text only shell mode (with powerdown installed). Theres nothing the GUI mode can do in that situation that the text console mode can't do.

The local GUI only exists for a single reason - If you happen to use a VM within unRaid as your Main Desktop (and don't have any other real way to access the GUI should something happen with the VM)

Thats assuming that the EmHttpd single threaded web server didnt get hung up already like its very prone to do. When thats the situation, the only thing to be done is reboot the unraid server, which works perfectly fine via text only shell mode (with powerdown installed). Theres nothing the GUI mode can do in that situation that the text console mode can't do.

true, but since the GUI Mode also gives you access to a terminal session(s) you can still use the text mode when the unRAID main GUI misbehaves.  I have found the GUI mode a useful addition for managing the unRAID server without the need to use a separate machine.  It also allows you to manage the unRAID server without an active network connection.

true, but since the GUI Mode also gives you access to a terminal session(s) you can still use the text mode when the unRAID main GUI misbehaves.  I have found the GUI mode a useful addition for managing the unRAID server without the need to use a separate machine.  It also allows you to manage the unRAID server without an active network connection.

That's only theoretical since right now all version of 6.2 require network connection in order to start in a licensed mode.

That's only theoretical since right now all version of 6.2 require network connection in order to start in a licensed mode.

That is true if you need to start the array.  However you can do other thing to manage the system without a network connection (e.g. alter settings, shutdown the system).    It is of particular use for troubleshooting if for some reason you think you should have a network connection and are finding it is not working.

Well, if there's UI mode why wouldn't I want to use it? I can run unRaid without it but is that how it should be? It got broken in very mysterious way but that's fine because real man ssh?

Anyway, looks like now everything works again. I didn't change anything in BIOS or hardware but after few restarts new copy of unRaid booted up into webGUI without any issues. Then I just copied config files from old installation to this new one and I have everything configured as it was. Just as it messed itself up it fixed itself as well. Very frikking trustworthy.

Bear in mind that it's beta software.