We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

Is there a way to make unRAID forget a disk?

For example, to make it think the disk is new and attempt to rebuild it?

I had some cabling issues (now fixed) that resulted in 2 drives being marked as "Faulty" drive disabled.  unRAID will no longer allow me to use them in that server, but they are fine and just completing preclear in my second server. 

Sounds like you have 2 disabled/missing at the same time and you just want to reuse them instead of possibly trying to recover their data since you say you are preclearing them. You will have to New Config, reassign all your drives, and let parity rebuild. Be careful you don't assign a data disk to the parity slot.

I have 2 parity disks so I have already rebuilt one disk with a spare and the other is nearly finished with another spare - but there is nothing wrong with the 2 disks that e server won't let me reuse until this process is complete (I have no data loss).

I try to avoid doing NewConfig wherever possible.

Still don't understand. Did you or did you not already rebuild or are rebuilding the data onto other disks? Once you successfully start the array without a particular disk unRAID has forgotten all about it. Starting the array, even with missing disks, causes unRAID to update super.dat which is how it remembers your disks.

I believe he's asking how to rebuild to the same disk, if so:

-unassign disk

-start array

-stop array

-reassign same disk to begin rebuild

Maybe that is what he is asking, but he is asking it in a very roundabout way since he has already proceeded to rebuild to spares and before supplying that information he said he was preclearing the originals. All those extraneous details had me trying to figure out what may have been a simple question.
  • 3 years later...
On 5/21/2016 at 10:45 AM, johnnie.black said:

I believe he's asking how to rebuild to the same disk, if so:

-unassign disk

-start array

-stop array

-reassign same disk to begin rebuild

Sir,

I have an issue trying to replace a disk that is really odd.

I have a disk in my MD1000 that the unit will not recognize or mount because it is too big (my own stupidity)

I tried to replace it but it just came back as Device is Missing (Disabled) contents emulated.

I fought with the system and got it to see the device, restarted the array and now it is rebuilding data on a drive that it says is not mounted.

I am LOST

1 hour ago, kysdaddy said:

I have a disk in my MD1000 that the unit will not recognize or mount because it is too big (my own stupidity)

I tried to replace it but it just came back as Device is Missing (Disabled) contents emulated.

Disk is on a controller that only supports 2.2TB max, and it appears that because of that Unraid doesn't consider it a valid partition, best bet is to connect that disk to a controller that supports the full disk capacity, but you'll need to rebuild it again.

9 hours ago, kysdaddy said:

If I change controllers, will I lose all of my data?

No, but depending on the firmware in use you might need to do a new config (or even rebuild every disk there), and that is harder with a disabled disk, so I would suggest connecting that disk directly to the main server on the newer LSI and rebuild it, then worry about upgrading the old LSI.