Fix Common Problems: Unable to write to disk1 - Disk full

sketchy

Hi all,

I'm trying to rsync data from my cache drive to my array (Movies user share), but unable to as there is not enough disk space free. Disk1 in the array is showing as having 0B free in the 'Main' page of the GUI, and sure enough Fix Common Problems shows as 'Unable to write to disk1 - Drive mounted read-only or completely full."

I guess my split levels are not set correctly? Why is the next disk not being written to, that has ~700GB free.

Movies Share settings:

Allocation method: High-water

Minimum free space: 10GB

Split level: Top level

Included disk(s): All

Question is, what do i have to do to write to the array and how do i prevent this from happening again?  ???

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers

James

tower-diagnostics-20160626-2055.zip

The films within the Movies share are each within their own folder. i.e.:

"Movies Share" - "Movie Name Folder" - "Movie Name File"

If i split at level 2 that should span the "Movie Name Folder" over any disk in the array, but force the "Movie Name File" to a single disk?

OK thanks, i'll migrate some data to free up space tonight. I guess something must be configured incorrectly in order for me to have completely filled disk1, and have disk2 with 100's GB free. Will also post up share settings.

Shame there is not a maintenance task to perform leveling of data, may be beneficial after increasing disk capacity.

OK thanks, i'll migrate some data to free up space tonight. I guess something must be configured incorrectly in order for me to have completely filled disk1, and have disk2 with 100's GB free. Will also post up share settings.

Shame there is not a maintenance task to perform leveling of data, may be beneficial after increasing disk capacity.

Something like unBALANCE?

Screenshot attached as requested. If my understanding is correct, disk1 may fill again. I've free'd up some space on it, moved data back to the Movies share and its eaten straight into disk1.

unBALANCE sounds exactly what i need! Thanks RobJ. Just initiated this following a dry run.

Screen_Shot_2016-06-27_at_21_09_30.png.7ddfb1dedbaf2e3f441b9bd3d6aa7872.png

I've been schooled, seems fairly sensible to fill a disk. Thank you.

Though this does make me think that my (10GB) minimum free space is not being adhered to. I can send data to the share fill disk1 completely and the transfer fail, rather than the 10GB minimum being left and disk2 being written to...

From what I see you have the wrong split level. You have it set to only the top level, which means that only the Movies share will go to other disks. Other folders/files under will not be split. I guess the Split experts will correct me if I'm wrong. So try changing the split level to split the top two levels automatically.

You also have to be sure that the minimum free space is set to a size larger than the largest file you will copy to the share. I see you have 10GB and if you copy a file that is 12GB you will end up with a full disk.

Thanks for your input saarg. I read into split levels a few days ago. I think I've grasped it, and agree with your suggestion to split at top two levels. I'll give it a whirl tonight. Fingers crossed.

Hmm, probably a good opportunity to bump up that minimum free space a bit. Thanks again.

• 1 year later...

Apologies for bumping an old thread, but i didn't manage to resolve this one. 

I raised the minimum free space and changed the split level to the top two, then free'd up a load of space to get by with. Now back down to 2.10GB available and a bit miffed. Also since updated to 6.5.0.

All my data drives are still running on reisserfs, that couldn't be a contributing factor at all?

Will i have an issue with the data that was written to this (Movies) share under the old top split level setting?

Appreciate any suggestions. 

Archived