why can't I get my windows VM's to work?

so, I have ready the wiki/unraid manual and it all seems like it should be simple enough... but yet, my win7 gets stuck as "windows is starting" and the win10 I tried gets stuck at the eufi shell thingy...

I would guess it is a driver issue? so for win7 I tried the older virtio/stable release, 0.1.102 ... for win10, I thought I read somewhere that you need the latest release, I would guess that is 0.1.118-1? anyway, I don't really care about win10, I was just trying it to see if I could get it to work...

any thoughts are where to look? or what to try?

I have Win 7 32 and 64 bit running on unRAID 6.2 and 6.1.9 previously.  I also have WHSv1 (Win2003 32bit) running on my VM server.  I've yet to not get Windows to work on ANY version of unRAID with VM capabilities.  BUT (and this maybe why it works for me) I'm not passing through video or audio cards.  Just TV tuners, USB and HDD controllers.  My unRAID VM box is headless.  I just access it with IPMI.  I'm using virtio drivers: virtio-win-0.1.96.iso.  Have not tried past Win7 because I don't like later windows versions. I hate 8.1 I have to use at work haven't tried 10 yet may go to that if I like it better.

I am running a win 7 vm with gpu passthrough.

I am using seabios and use virtio-win-0.1.118-1.iso without probs.

Just some things to check/try.

1. Make sure the initial and max memory are set to the same amount.

2. Try using both cpu mode passthrough and emulated

3. Install the os with only 2 logical cpus (you can raise these after its all working)

yes, only used ovmf with win10...

but I am not a fan of win 10, so other then trying to see if it just worked, I have no real wish to install it...

looking at the log thingy, I see a couple "Domain id=3 is tainted: high-privileges"

why is it tainted? whats with the high privileges?

2016-07-06 14:06:00.410+0000: starting up libvirt version: 1.3.1, qemu version: 2.5.1, hostname: TowerB
LC_ALL=C PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin HOME=/ QEMU_AUDIO_DRV=none /usr/local/sbin/qemu -name CQC-MS -S -machine pc-i440fx-2.5,accel=kvm,usb=off,mem-merge=off -cpu qemu64,hv_time,hv_relaxed,hv_vapic,hv_spinlocks=0x1fff,hv_vendor_id=none -m 3072 -realtime mlock=off -smp 2,sockets=1,cores=2,threads=1 -uuid 58952f1a-3b3a-5873-6fee-cc526a80eb7a -no-user-config -nodefaults -chardev socket,id=charmonitor,path=/var/lib/libvirt/qemu/domain-CQC-MS/monitor.sock,server,nowait -mon chardev=charmonitor,id=monitor,mode=control -rtc base=localtime -no-hpet -no-shutdown -boot strict=on -device ich9-usb-ehci1,id=usb,bus=pci.0,addr=0x7.0x7 -device ich9-usb-uhci1,masterbus=usb.0,firstport=0,bus=pci.0,multifunction=on,addr=0x7 -device ich9-usb-uhci2,masterbus=usb.0,firstport=2,bus=pci.0,addr=0x7.0x1 -device ich9-usb-uhci3,masterbus=usb.0,firstport=4,bus=pci.0,addr=0x7.0x2 -device virtio-serial-pci,id=virtio-serial0,bus=pci.0,addr=0x4 -drive file=/mnt/user/isos/windows/win7/en_windows_7_ulti.qemu.guest_agent.0 -device usb-tablet,id=input0 -vnc 0.0.0.0:0,websocket=5700,password -k en-us -device qxl-vga,id=video0,ram_size=67108864,vram_size=67108864,vgamem_mb=16,bus=pci.0,addr=0x2 -device virtio-balloon-pci,id=balloon0,bus=pci.0,addr=0x9 -msg timestamp=on
Domain id=3 is tainted: high-privileges
char device redirected to /dev/pts/0 (label charserial0)

I do only have 2 CPU's selected #6 & #7

pretty sure I have played with both cpu mode passthrough and emulated. but I will try again, just cause...

and my min & max memory match.

well, I am not sure its progress, but I now have a new error in the log...

2016-07-06 14:18:52.874+0000: starting up libvirt version: 1.3.1, qemu version: 2.5.1, hostname: TowerB
Domain id=5 is tainted: high-privileges
Domain id=5 is tainted: host-cpu

who tainted my CPU? and what did they taint it with?

well, I am not sure its progress, but I now have a new error in the log...

2016-07-06 14:18:52.874+0000: starting up libvirt version: 1.3.1, qemu version: 2.5.1, hostname: TowerB
Domain id=5 is tainted: high-privileges

who tainted my CPU? and what did they taint it with?

In this case (in VM logging), it's a normal and harmless message.  Ignore it.

Hello SomeWhatLost

on my system I needed to set the VNC video card driver to Cirrus to get Windows 7 32 bit or 64 bit to install

click to enable "advanced view"

go down to "VNC Video Driver "

select "Cirrus" from the list instead of "QXL (Best)"

Hopefully this helps,

Bobby

that fixed it... should be on the wiki or somewhere to try cirrus... thanks

Hello SomeWhatLost

on my system I needed to set the VNC video card driver to Cirrus to get Windows 7 32 bit or 64 bit to install

Hopefully this helps,

Bobby

that fixed it... should be on the wiki or somewhere to try cirrus... thanks

Thats strange as i have not had to use cirrus for win 7, i had to use it for win98 vm though. Anyway glad you got it working :)

had the exact same issues. could work-around using Cirrus VNC. - thanks for the hint.

System settings:

M/B: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. - Z97X-UD5H-BK

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz

Memory: 32 GB

VM Settings:

CPU All 8 Cores

RAM 12800 MB

HDD 120G on SSD Cache

Hello SomeWhatLost

Hopefully this helps,

Bobby

This did the trick for me as well.

System Settings:

M/B: Supermicro - X11SSV-Q

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz

HVM: Enabled

IOMMU: Enabled

Cache: 128 kB, 1024 kB, 8192 kB

Memory: 32 GB (max. installable capacity 32 GB)

• 2 months later...