Anyone using QS/ES xeons?

I was browsing eBay for a new CPU and saw lots of qs/es cpus from China on there. I was just wondering if anyone has successively used any of those. (I understand you need certain motherboards and bios versions and all that)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends. If you can't get honest accurate information on the exact feature set you are getting, you could be in for some disappointment. Some may not have full virtualization enabled, some may not have all cores available at full speed of the retail chip, etc, etc.

If you can get a real spec sheet on what you are buying, and it's accurate and includes the features you need, then you should be ok.

Vt-d is often Not supported, Heck even on non es CPUs there are hickups (or worse)with certain steppings.

If you want to Go with Hardware passtrough for vms i would Not recomend es CPUs at all. If you do Not need that Feature you should bo fine if you do the necesary Research.

You probably also do Not want to Game on the machine, which sometimes is a Problem if only few cores Turbo up or have a lower Turbo in General. Not realy that Big of a Deal for an unraid nas Box though.

I saved a lot of Money selling all but One of my other PCs and virtualizing all the stuff from nas to gaming. The stuff i learned resulted in me taking over all the infrastructure Jobs at work aswell.

Depends. If you can't get honest accurate information on the exact feature set you are getting, you could be in for some disappointment. Some may not have full virtualization enabled, some may not have all cores available at full speed of the retail chip, etc, etc.

If you can get a real spec sheet on what you are buying, and it's accurate and includes the features you need, then you should be ok.

Luckily they provide quite a bit of info with it. Seems to be right before production. So hopefully it has most of the features. Virtualization isn't the biggest deal if I lose that.

Vt-d is often Not supported, Heck even on non es CPUs there are hickups (or worse)with certain steppings.

The current CPU I'm looking at seems to be right before production. It's at step m0 and the production was m1. At about 1/4 the price of a used (real) one on eBay it might be worth not having my vm. It's just a guest gaming vm that I set up with an old graphics card. Also you said you incorporated your gaming machine into your server, what CPU do you use?

Should make a Signature some day.

I do use two xeon 2680v1. Lots of people got 2670v1 for 50-100 Dollars. I was Just super Lucky to have gotten the 2680 for as cheap which is normal x times more expensive, barely noticeable difference though. Both CPUs got 40 lanes so it will get hard to use up the 80 pcie lanes. Also 8 cores plus Ht so a total of 32 on two CPUs.

The Mainboards might cost some, but ddr3 reg ecc Ram is dirt cheap.

I do use a gtx 770 and a USB 3.1 controller per vm which i do have two of. My girlfriend is using the pc simultanously with me, sometimes gaming on a Minecraft Server which runs on the machine on a docker aswell. I can Not See a Performance decrease in comparison to bare metal at all.

I have Set up Port forwarding to be able to conect to minecraft from outsise of the Network. And other Ports aswell for other stuff like ftp acces etc.

Tuning on the vms Works over Smartphone and wake on Lan, so i can track easily which ones are on and turn them on without accessing the Web GUI. Also easier for my non techy gf to work with.

I used a 4790k before to test if what i want Works with unraid. It did, so i went for the more powerfull Hardware. Not a good idea to have more Stuff going on then you have cores.

What Budget and Location are We talking about?

I do use two xeon 2680v1. Lots of people got 2670v1 for 50-100 Dollars. I was Just super Lucky to have gotten the 2680 for as cheap which is normal x times more expensive, barely noticeable difference though. Both CPUs got 40 lanes so it will get hard to use up the 80 pcie lanes. Also 8 cores plus Ht so a total of 32 on two CPUs.

I do use a gtx 770 and a USB 3.1 controller per vm which i do have two of. My girlfriend is using the pc simultanously with me, sometimes gaming on a Minecraft Server which runs on the machine on a docker aswell. I can Not See a Performance decrease in comparison to bare metal at all.

I have Set up Port forwarding to be able to conect to minecraft from outsise of the Network. And other Ports aswell for other stuff like ftp acces etc.

Tuning on the vms Works over Smartphone and wake on Lan, so i can track easily which ones are on and turn them on without accessing the Web GUI. Also easier for my non techy gf to work with.

I used a 4790k before to test if what i want Works with unraid. It did, so i went for the more powerfull Hardware. Not a good idea to have more Stuff going on then you have cores.

How many cores did you give each vm? And I assume you split each vm to each CPU?

Right now I'm looking at the 2658 v3 (12 core) the es version with m0 stepping is about $250 on eBay. If not that I will probably wait a bit and get a 2630 v4 (10 core).

Edit: or maybe a v3 Xeon (pretty cheap on eBay)

Both have a pretty low clock speed (2.0 and 2.2 base) so gaming might not work the best but that's not really a big deal as it's for guests. Mostly I want to upgrade because I want to switch to HEVC to save some space. Also I'm in the US so buying parts isn't a problem.

I have set up 8 cores per vm, 4 would be well enough. I would not mind the clock speed to much, the instructions per clock, or per clock power in general is increasing aswell. You wouldn't go and buy a Pentium4 for its clock. Take passmark scores into consideration.

I would have to make some testing to figure out what CPU to put in which VMs, not only because of the CPU pairs, and what Socket such a pair would be one, but also, which PCIE Lane the GPU connected to the VM is on, and what CPU is behind that. Would not make much sense to have the GPU conected to CPU 1 while the machine is running on CPU2 with 8 cores. I do not know exactly if it will make a difference, but it might. There is lot's of stuff i haven't figured out yet. In the end I would not put one VM over several Sockets, so that there is no need to use the channel between the CPU if the decision is made to move a task from one CPU to another. The CPU I have is more then enough to host 2 windows 10 with gaming applications on. So I do have another 16 threads unraid can play with. It isn't that easy at all to put good use of all that processing power, and I already split it between multiple people.

When UHD/4K wasn't all over the media yet in my country I imported an UHD monitor and did some emulating on pcsx2 - which is a ps2 emulator. Basicaly the goal was to give (old) games the best possible light for demonstration uses. It was hard to run the game in UHD and capture it at once as the capture cards could not do UHD in 60 hz, nor were nvidia cards able to work that resolution with shadowplay. In the end I was forced to take the gaming part and storing data part and merge it into one machine as we are talking about several gigabytes per second over longer periods.

While some games will not run under a certain amount of cores, I guess you will be just fine with either of these cpus. There are some games that only work a single core, but you would not be the only one struggling with these applications if they are hungry ones too.

While it is incredible what you get per $/€ or whatever currency you use on some CPU, keep in mind what you actualy want to do with the machine, what you might want to add in the future, and how long you might want to keep the system running. I made a realy good deal on pretty much every single part of my build and came out way cheaper then I should. In the end though, I would have spend double if I would have known what stuff I might come up with in the future, and how important this one machine is to me.

What do you actualy want to do with that system?

How many vms should it run?

How many drives will be connected?

And what odd hardware, expansion cards, or other quirks does it have to be compatible with?

Lots of manufactures struggle with usefull/correct implementations of vt-d. To know if you are going to need it(want it) is a big deal in deciding what hardware you need to go for. All of these CPUs are so much more then most people actually could make use of at a time. You will most likely not keep it running for more then a couple years, as there will be more efficient ways to do so down the line.

How many cores did you give each vm? And I assume you split each vm to each CPU?

Right now I'm looking at the 2658 v3 (12 core) the es version with m0 stepping is about $250 on eBay. If not that I will probably wait a bit and get a 2630 v4 (10 core).

Edit: or maybe a v3 Xeon (pretty cheap on eBay)

Both have a pretty low clock speed (2.0 and 2.2 base) so gaming might not work the best but that's not really a big deal as it's for guests. Mostly I want to upgrade because I want to switch to HEVC to save some space. Also I'm in the US so buying parts isn't a problem.

I was looking at building something similiar -

Well it would look like this -

Motherboard: SUPERMICRO MBD-X10SRA-O

RAM: Crucial 16GB DDR4 CT16G4RFD4213 (32 GB total)

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2658 V3 ES QEYF 12Core 2.0Ghz

CPU Heatsink: Noctua NH-U9DX i4

Still undecided though

[quote author=chip

I was looking at building something similiar -

Well it would look like this -

Motherboard: SUPERMICRO MBD-X10SRA-O

RAM: Crucial 16GB DDR4 CT16G4RFD4213 (32 GB total)

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2658 V3 ES QEYF 12Core 2.0Ghz

CPU Heatsink: Noctua NH-U9DX i4

Still undecided though

Looks like those are a pretty good deal. I ended up getting a pretty good deal on a used 2683 v3 SR1XH 14C 2.0GHz (retail version) so we will see how that works out.

I bought two 2683v3 (SR1XH) for the server I set up at work. The "odd" Core count of it is bad for some tasks as it isn't 2^x

some workloads do not work well with these numbers of cores(so i have been told). I did not run a lot of stuff on these chips yet, but I have had the machine for a week or two and am pleased with the result. We ordered for about 400 € per piece comeing with atleast some short waranty.

Do you mind telling what you had to pay on the 1 CPU?

The MHZ count on them isn't high, but the Passmark score is nice, especially if you pack multiple CPUs. Can defienetly run a bunch of VMs on "56 cores". I prefer that system over the 2670v1 most have bought (including me) as the heat output and power draw is significantly lower.

Motherboard seems clean to me, but you should have gotten more Ram dims, as you can only make use of the full bandwith if you go for atleast 4 dims filling all the blue channels. You might want to reconsider the purchase, as you probably do not need 32gb, and you definetely should go for 4 dims.

IPMI would have been a nice to have feature, but probably something you can do fine without?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

intend to build a home lab based on Asrock EPC612D4I. (LGA2011-3) with Esxi 6 hypervisor
I also need video hardware acceleration for CAD software. - ATI Radeon GPU PCIe card to be passtrought to a windows VM.
I understand that ES processors don't have VT-d capabilities so it will be impossible to do the pci passtrought.
The QS processors have this ability - the VT-d capability?
Or just the OEM genuine ones?
Thanks in advance for your time to answer.

30 minutes ago, Alex Iatan said:

intend to build a home lab based on Asrock EPC612D4I. (LGA2011-3) with Esxi 6 hypervisor
I also need video hardware acceleration for CAD software. - ATI Radeon GPU PCIe card to be passtrought to a windows VM.
I understand that ES processors don't have VT-d capabilities so it will be impossible to do the pci passtrought.
Thanks in advance for your time to answer.

QS Stands for Quality Samples.  ES stands for Engineering Sample.   IE: They are Beta / Release candidate versions of the chips.  Technically, they are not supposed to be resold, but everyone ignores that.

Like any beta / release candidate, there *may* be issues with them.  Caveat Emptor  

25 minutes ago, Alex Iatan said:

1. This is a forum for unraid, not esxi

2. ES-QS-OEM are all genuine processors, but the ES QS were never supposed to be sold on the open market. The feature set they actually possess isn't documented publicly by intel, so blanket statements on what works and what doesn't isn't possible to my knowledge. Pretty sure some ES have VT-d, some don't.

Thank you both for the quick answer.

Sorry to pollute the unraid forum with Esxi but i did int find elsewhere topic like this one.

Coul you say that QS is closer from the OEM and my support VT-d.

How can i be "safe " on buying an QS V3 E5 processor from Ebay. I learned that i may be screwed up. Could you, when you have some little time, advice me in that direction. What should i be aware of...
Thank you again for your patience.

Edited by Alex Iatan