unMENU 1.5 ... now available for download.

Joe, ideally would be to have a button, similar to the one in the "Config View/Edit" page that lets us view the backup version. On clicking it, we could see the differences and then decide to apply the update or not.

Comments?

Not a bad idea, but nearly impossible on a user-scripts page.  (Note I said nearly...)

I never thought of using the same backup directory as the Config View/Edit page...  That might be an alternative, put all the backups in the same place.  You can already use the Config View/Edit to apply changes...

Let me give it some thought.

Joe L.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My first Slackware linux was somewhere around 1994.  I re-wrote the sound-card driver to be able to play Doom on it. 

It was on a very old 386 based PC, and it booted from a 5 1/4 inch floppy disk when running linux from a second disk partition hidden from windows.

If the Pentagon knew that you had a 386 PC back in 1974, they would have killed you ten times over and taken it from you!   

That 386 probably had more computing power than the whole country combined at that time.   ;D 

Oops... a typo... 1994, but I'm apparently in good company.  ;D 

I am reosting this in case Joe missed it.

Some issues I think I have noted with using an alternate package directory as experienced when I tried to set up email with your excellent how to.

I did an update first as you suggested and what surprised me was that the /boot/packages directory had all new time stamps for the files that were in it and the /mnt/scratch/packages directory did not.  I thought I could eliminate the /boot/packages directory but this indicates that I may not be ready to do that.

I believe (but may be wrong) that when you build the line to load all of the auto_install files you are not taking into account that there may be an alternate directory specified.

It appeared that ssmtp did not load properly with the alternate directory specification, but I think you mentioned something about that.

I went back to NO alternate directory and was able to get all working fine including mail notify.  I might suggest that on the section under packages in the ssmtp package setup if possible include a test button to see if mail is working so you don't have to bounce to the user scripts p[age and back again until one (me) gets it right.

On a separate topic, is there any way to modify where syslogs go so that all syslogs go to the alternate location.  Purko had posted some code which seems to work but only allows for a current and last log to be at the alternate location. I assume for it to be truly effective it would have to be done in the unraid boot portion of the system and not at go file time.

I have two thinks left I want to do besides finishing loading the array:

1) Write a TCP based notification system.  That is now done and working.  It is a modification of unraid_notify that does not do email but rather sends a TCP message.  It expects no reply.

2) See if I can get the logitech squeezebox server running on the unraid box.  There is a thread on just that subject.  I don't want the squeezebox server on one box and the files on another causing the audio streams to traverse the network twice.

I have given up on this as it appears to be way too complex and fraught with issues, at least when I try.  Perhaps someday someone will post a good howto for the current version of unRaid and unMenu as opposed to bubbaRaid which was in use at the time most investigations of squeezeboxserver were being made.

Once again thanks for all of the help.  My understandings of linux is improving each day.

I am re-posting this in case Joe missed it.

I'm sure I answered it, but perhaps it somehow got lost when I pressed the "Post" button.  Let me try again

Some issues I think I have noted with using an alternate package directory as experienced when I tried to set up email with your excellent how to.

I did an update first as you suggested and what surprised me was that the /boot/packages directory had all new time stamps for the files that were in it and the /mnt/scratch/packages directory did not.  I thought I could eliminate the /boot/packages directory but this indicates that I may not be ready to do that.

The unmenu_local.conf file is read when ummenu is initially invoked.  If you did not kill it and re-start it, the old value would still be used.  I suspect this is what happened.

I believe (but may be wrong) that when you build the line to load all of the auto_install files you are not taking into account that there may be an alternate directory specified.

I do respect the alternate PACKAGE_DIRECTORY, but the line is added to your "go" script the first time you ask for a package to be re-installed on re-boot.  It is not updated if you move the PACKAGE_DIRECTORY.  I'm afraid if you are doing that type of customization after you've already used the package-manager you have to make those changes on your own.  Sorry.. I did not think of that until you mentioned it. 

The actual line added to the "go" script is also configurable... It is in the "unmenu.conf" file too, currently defined as:

AUTO_INSTALL_COMMAND  = cd %PACKAGE_DIRECTORY% && find . -name '*.auto_install' -type f -print | sort | xargs -n1 sh -c

It appeared that ssmtp did not load properly with the alternate directory specification, but I think you mentioned something about that.

I think everything had been corrected by the time you went to use the package manager.  (Of course, if you did not get the updates after I fixed them for you, you might have had the older version with the fixed path.)

I went back to NO alternate directory and was able to get all working fine including mail notify.  I might suggest that on the section under packages in the ssmtp package setup if possible include a test button to see if mail is working so you don't have to bounce to the user scripts p[age and back again until one (me) gets it right.

I cannot.  There is no feature in the package manager to include buttons specific to given packages.

You can always just type on the command line:

echo "This is a test message" | mail -s "Testing e-mail config" root

or

echo "This is a test message" | mail -s "Testing e-mail config" you@your_server

You really don't need a button to test.

On a separate topic, is there any way to modify where syslogs go so that all syslogs go to the alternate location.  Purko had posted some code which seems to work but only allows for a current and last log to be at the alternate location. I assume for it to be truly effective it would have to be done in the unraid boot portion of the system and not at go file time.

You assume wrong.  He posted code on how to stop the syslog daemon, move the existing log, change where the log is written, and then re-start it.  It can be done at an time from anywhere.

I have two thinks left I want to do besides finishing loading the array:

1) Write a TCP based notification system.  That is now done and working.  It is a modification of unraid_notify that does not do email but rather sends a TCP message.  It expects no reply.

bash shell can senf messages across the network, "awk" can, perl can, or you can download "netcat" or the secure variant linked to in the unraid_nofity thread to send a message to your automation system.  To see how you could use netcat, look here as I use it to send a message to a "YAC" client on my network: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=140.0

2) See if I can get the logitech squeezebox server running on the unraid box.  There is a thread on just that subject.  I don't want the squeezebox server on one box and the files on another causing the audio streams to traverse the network twice.

I have given up on this as it appears to be way too complex and fraught with issues, at least when I try.  Perhaps someday someone will post a good howto for the current version of unRaid and unMenu as opposed to bubbaRaid which was in use at the time most investigations of squeezeboxserver were being made.

Once again thanks for all of the help.  My understandings of linux is improving each day.

You'll need to do your homework too... most of the users posting scripts will give guidance, but they are not likely to customize it for your different disk directory structure.  These are all just scripts... use what was developed as a guide and it will be so much easier... besides, you'll be learning your way around your server.  The whole unMENU web-server/plugin system is just a collection of awk and shell scripts... and I commented my code to make it easy for others like you to follow even if you are not familiar with the specific language. ;D

Joe L.

Thanks Joe.  When I get more relaxed (less nervous=smarter) I will try the alternate package again after being sure I cleared everything out and make sure unMenu is removed. The package directory being on the unraid flash drive is probably a non-issue as it is 2Gig in size and it seems not to get written to unless I make package changes which I should stop doing soon.

I am trying to keep unRaid as simple as possible using unMenu for all add-ons that I can. I really like unMenu.  It is a great piece of work.

ssmtp is working perfectly along with the ssmtp based email notifier.

I did write a modification to the old unraid_notfy script that does send messages to the automation server and I think I just figured out how to "read" the status replies, so I am progressing.

I will probably end up playing with squeezeboxserver, but initially I can just move the music as my network bandwidth utilization is very low and when I am listening to music I am not watching movies.

Thanks for re-iterating this info.

On a separate topic, is there any way to modify where syslogs go so that all syslogs go to the alternate location.  Purko had posted some code which seems to work but only allows for a current and last log to be at the alternate location. I assume for it to be truly effective it would have to be done in the unraid boot portion of the system and not at go file time.

You assume wrong.   He posted code on how to stop the syslog daemon, move the existing log, change where the log is written, and then re-start it.  It can be done at an time from anywhere.

It's not really moving the syslog, it's rather making the syslog daemon log the stuff to both places. The original syslog remains functional.

is there any way to modify where syslogs go so that all syslogs go to the alternate location

The version I posted keeps the two latest syslogs: the current one, and the one from before you rebooted the server.

Normally that should be more than enough for any troubleshooting.

But if you want to keep all syslogs forever, here is an alternate version, custom written for you:  ;)

# Alternate version. This one will keep all syslogs.
logdir="/boot/logs" # <-- modify this if you want the logs dir elsewhere.
mkdir -p $logdir
logfile="$logdir/syslog_`date +%Y-%m-%d_%H.%M.%S`.txt"
cat /var/log/syslog >$logfile
echo '*.* $logfile' >>/etc/syslog.conf
echo '*.*  -/dev/tty12' >>/etc/syslog.conf
/etc/rc.d/rc.syslog restart
setterm -term linux -powersave off -powerdown 0 -blank 0 </dev/tty12 >/dev/tty12

# test it...
logger 'I am a genius!!'
tail $logfile
tail /var/log/syslog

This version will also output the syslog messages to tty12.

Press ALT-F12 to switch to virtual terminal 12.

Press ALT-F1 to switch back to the first virtual terminal.

The original version can be found here:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=5976.msg56946#msg56946

with regard to email notification.  It states that there must be mail configured.  How does one do that.  I am not sure what package I need to install to get mail configured. I don't want to install the older unraid_notify but that does seem to configure a mail system as part of its installation

The package you want is

mail and ssmtp - Configure unRAID to be able to send e-mail notifications via the "mail" command.   It needs to be compiled... So...

You'll also need to install the "C" compiler.   Don't worry, clicking on the buttons on the package manager will do everything for you, you don't have to learn "C"  Click the download button, then the "Install" button.

It is because I was unable to find a version of ssmtp with the encryption library compiled in.  It caused me a bit more hair loss, as I tried valiantly to connect to gmail with the compiled version I did find.

It was one of the incentives I had to get the package manager to where it is today.

So... First install the "C" compiler,  you do not need to set ti to re-install on re-boot.

Then install "mail and ssmtp" after configuring its editable fields. Set it to re-install on re-boot

Then, install the e-mail alerts. Set it to re-install on re-boot.

All in all, it will take you longer to edit the few configuration fields than any of the other steps.

Before you start, use the "Check for Updates" button on the user-scripts page, as lots of tiny fixes and improvements have been made in the past days based on feedback and suggestions.

Joe L.

Hi Joe,

I followed these instructions, yet something is wrong.  I had the notify email stuff working before I upgraded to 4.5.3 and unmenu 1.3, so I have the correct information, server, etc.  However, when I hit the TEST Email button, the browser hangs.  

I tried hitting the Check for unmenu updates button, but that didn't seem to do anything.

here is the syslog error

8 15:16:56 Tower unmenu[1543]: awk: ./unmenu.awk:597: fatal: print to "/inet/tcp/8080/0/0" failed (Connection reset by peer)

May 8 15:14:05 Tower unmenu[5890]: awk: ./unmenu.awk:274: fatal: can't open two way socket `/inet/tcp/8080/0/0' for input/output (No such file or directory)

May 8 15:13:23 Tower sSMTP[5872]: Invalid response SMTP Server (STARTTLS)

May 8 15:13:23 Tower sSMTP[5872]: Cannot open smtp.gmail.com:465

I'm using gmail and ssl.  Did I miss something here?

thanks

May 8 15:14:05 Tower unmenu[5890]: awk: ./unmenu.awk:274: fatal: can't open two way socket `/inet/tcp/8080/0/0' for input/output (No such file or directory)

You did not kill the existing unmenu process.  Only one can open a port at a time.  The second fails since the first still has it open)

May 8 15:13:23 Tower sSMTP[5872]: Invalid response SMTP Server (STARTTLS)

May 8 15:13:23 Tower sSMTP[5872]: Cannot open smtp.gmail.com:465

I'm using gmail and ssl.  Did I miss something here?

thanks

If you were still using the old version of unMENU, you probably did not configure mail as you thought you did.

Did you COMPILE and INSTALL ssmtp?  (unless you compiled it yourself, through the package manager, it cannot handle gmail and ssl, it can only handle un-encrypted mail)

If you did not download and install the compiler, you did not install an ssmtp that can handle SSL transactions to gmail, as it must be compiled on YOUR server. (I could not find a pre-compiled version with that capability enabled)

Joe L.

Hey Joe,

If you get a chance to add the below package to the list that would be great.  Note that the package downloaded here is of the .txz variety and it will only install on unRAID 4.5 or above.

No problem about 4.5 or above...  I'll take a look and add it to the list of package files.

Many thanks.

Joe L.

If you were still using the old version of unMENU, you probably did not configure mail as you thought you did.

Did you COMPILE and INSTALL ssmtp?   (unless you compiled it yourself, through the package manager, it cannot handle gmail and ssl, it can only handle un-encrypted mail)

If you did not download and install the compiler, you did not install an ssmtp that can handle SSL transactions to gmail, as it must be compiled on YOUR server. (I could not find a pre-compiled version with that capability enabled)

Joe L.

Hi Joe, yes I did do that.  I selected the C complier on the package list, installed that...following the instructions, then I was able to install the smtp package and configure that. In fact, the smpt package would not install, had a error saying compiler not installed....but after I installed the compiler, smpt installed just fine.  Is there a conf file I can paste here that would help? 

Hi Joe, yes I did do that.  I selected the C complier on the package list, installed that...following the instructions, then I was able to install the smtp package and configure that. In fact, the smpt package would not install, had a error saying compiler not installed....but after I installed the compiler, smpt installed just fine.  Is there a conf file I can paste here that would help? 

The results of the configuration end up in

/usr/local/etc/ssmtp/ssmtp.conf

once installed.

So take a look at it.  Don't post it without editing it to remove your real e-mail and password.

Hi Joe, yes I did do that.  I selected the C complier on the package list, installed that...following the instructions, then I was able to install the smtp package and configure that. In fact, the smpt package would not install, had a error saying compiler not installed....but after I installed the compiler, smpt installed just fine.  Is there a conf file I can paste here that would help?  

once installed.

So take a look at it.   Don't post it without editing it to remove your real e-mail and password.

[email protected]

mailhub=smtp.gmail.com:465

rewriteDomain=

[email protected]

UseSTARTTLS=YES

AuthUser=myemailaddresshere

AuthPass=mypasswordhere

FromLineOverride=YES

Just to be clear, this is what I did after installing unmenu.

-Went to the package manager and clicked on the C complier button.  I then clicked on the download button, and finally the Install button.

-I then went back to package manager and clicked on the mail and ssmtp button, then the download button, and finally the install button.  I had to put my information in then as well, email address, etc..  That's it.  Did I miss a step, as while the compiler is installed, I don't recall clicking on any button that says it was recompliing the mail and ssmpt files. Does it do that automatically?

Thanks Joe!

Is there a posting somewhere that describes the "packages" available with unMENU?

I'm currently using BubbaRaid and use:

apcupsd

uNotify

lighttpd

I was thinking of waiting until 5.0 came out with the updated web interface, but it does not appear to be coming soon.

thanks,

dave

Is there a posting somewhere that describes the "packages" available with unMENU?

I'm currently using BubbaRaid and use:

apcupsd

uNotify

lighttpd

I was thinking of waiting until 5.0 came out with the updated web interface, but it does not appear to be coming soon.

thanks,

dave

All of those are included with unmenu via package manager.

as of your request I did not have a list:

But... as of right now, here it is:

PACKAGE_NAME AirVideo

Video Streaming Air Video can stream videos in almost any format to your iPhone and iPod touch.

You don't need to copy your videos to the device just to watch them.

Live Conversion

If the videos in your collection are not in format supported by iPhone, Air Video will convert them on fly*.

* Live Conversion requires iPhone or iPod touch with firmware 3.0 and a sufficiently powerful computer (Intel Core 2 duo or equivalent processor is recommended).

PACKAGE_NAME apcupsd - A daemon for controlling APC UPS devices

Apcupsd version 3.14.8 can be used for power management and controlling most

of APC's UPS models on Unix and Windows machines.

Apcupsd works with most of APC's Smart-UPS models as well as most simple signalling models such as Back-UPS and BackUPS-Office.

Note: If you elect to not power down the UPS, the server may not detect when power is eventually restored, and will not start until you press its power button.

For this reason, most users will want to set Power Down UPS after shutdown? = YES

PACKAGE_NAME bwm-ng - Bandwidth Monitor NG (Next Generation), a live bandwidth monitor

bwm-ng can be used to monitor the current Bandwidth of all or some specific Interfaces. It shows

total of in and out as well as total of all Interfaces.

PACKAGE_NAME "C" compiler & development tools

This package installs gcc, glibc, binutils and make

on the unRAID server to allow you to compile source code into execuitable programs

Most users will never need to install the compiler and development tools.

They are ONLY needed if you are installing and compiling your own source code files

when precompiled packages are not available.

It is recommended that a swap-file be installed if compiling programs.  The odds of running out of

memory and crashing your server exist if you have less than 1 Gig of RAM installed and no swap-file configured.

PACKAGE_NAME GNU cpio copies files into or out of a cpio or tar archive.

GNU cpio copies files into or out of a cpio or tar archive. The archive can be another file on the

disk, a magnetic tape, or a pipe.

PACKAGE_NAME cxxlibs-6.0.9-i486.tgz library accidentally left out of unRAID 4.4-beta2 through 4.5beta5

"C++" support libraries used by the smartctl program.

Unless you are running a version of unRAID where this /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6 library was accidentally omitted,

there is no need to install this library.  It is only needed if you are running unRAID 4.4-beta2 through 4.5-beta5

This package will NOT install itself if /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6  already exists on your server

PACKAGE_NAME dmidecode

dmidecode is a tool for dumping a computer's DMI (some say SMBIOS ) table contents in a human-readable format.

This table contains a description of the system's hardware components, as well as other useful pieces of information such as serial numbers and BIOS revision. Thanks to this table, you can retrieve this information without having to probe for the actual hardware. While this is a good point in terms of report speed and safeness, this also makes the presented information possibly unreliable. See the online man page here

for an idea on how it can be used.

PACKAGE_NAME .DS_Store and ._ file cleanup script

The purpose of this script is to remove the .DS_Store and ._ files that Mac OS X creates

when viewing a file through Finder. Please see the wikipedia entry on Cron

to get a better idea on how cron works. There is no error checking for the removal time entered, so please be careful when entering you desired time.

PACKAGE_NAME file - A utility to determine file type

This is Ian F. Darwin's 'file' utility, used to identify files.

PACKAGE_NAME htop (Hisham's top)

htop is an interactive process viewer for Linux. It aims to be a

'better top': you can scroll the process list vertically and

horizontally, and select a process to be killed with the arrow keys

instead of by typing its process id. It requires ncurses, and was

tested with Linux 2.4 and 2.6.

See http://htop.sourceforge.net/ for more info.

PACKAGE_NAME iftop (interface top)

iftop is an interactive process viewer for Linux.

iftop does for network usage what top(1) does for CPU usage. It

listens to network traffic on a named interface and displays a table

of current bandwidth usage by pairs of hosts.

See http://www.ex-parrot.com/pdw/iftop/ for more info.

PACKAGE_NAME inotify tools - (command line utilities for inotify)

inotify-tools is a set of command-line programs for Linux providing a

simple interface to inotify.  These programs can be used to monitor

and act upon filesystem events.

For more information see the inotifywait and inotifywatch man pages.

To track activity under /mnt/user, type:inotifywait -mr /mnt/user

To track activity on a specific disk (/mnt/disk1), type:inotifywait -mr /mnt/disk1

inotify-tools home: http://inotify-tools.sourceforge.net/

PACKAGE_NAME iStat - Server monitoring for the iPhone

Use iStat if you wish to monitor your unRAID server with the iPhone.

For more information please visit http://bjango.com/apps/istat/

PACKAGE_NAME Jre - Java 2 Platform Standard Edition Runtime Environment,

The J2SE Runtime Environment (JRE) is intended for software

developers and vendors to redistribute with their applications.

It contains the Java virtual machine, runtime class libraries, and

Java application launcher that are necessary to run programs written

in the Java programming language.Unless you intend to run a Java process, it is not

necessary to download and install the Java Runtime Environment

PACKAGE_NAME lighttpd (pronounced "lighty")

Lighttpd is a secure, fast, compliant, and very flexible web-server

that has been optimized for high-performance environments.

It has a very low memory footprint compared to other webservers

and takes care of cpu-load.

PACKAGE_NAME lsof (list open files)

The lsof command is used to list open files on a file system. This is important to know if you are

attempting to shut down your server.  If a file-system has open files, it may not be un-mounted.  If it

cannot be un-mounted, the unRAID array cannot be shut down cleanly.

The lsof command is included in recent versions of unRAID.

PACKAGE_NAME mail and ssmtp - Configure unRAID to be able to send e-mail notifications via the "mail" command.

This package installs both mailx and ssmtp, a subset of "sendmail" needed to send alerts from

the unRAID server

PACKAGE_NAME unRAID Status Alert sent hourly by e-mail

This package will install a cron script to send hourly e-mail status alerts when an abnormal status is detected.

You may also elect to get hourly notifications when the status is OK.

The script is created in /etc/cron.hourly and is named smtp_status.sh

It will run hourly, at 47 minutes past the hour, and report on the status of the unRAID array as appropriate.

To use this script you must have installed and configured a "mail" command on your unRAID server.

PACKAGE_NAME md5 - Deep Checksums

md5deep, a set of cross-platform tools to computer hashes, or message digests, for any number of

files while optionally recursively digging through the directory structure. Supports MD5,

SHA-1, SHA-256, Tiger, and Whirlpool hashes.

PACKAGE_NAME Monthly Parity Check

This package installs a script that will schedule a monthly parity check on the 1st of the month at midnight.

Use NOCORRECT if you do not want parity to be automatically updated.

Use CORRECT if you do want it automatically updated.

It is recommended that you NOT automatically correct parity, since it might be a data drive that is in error,

and the parity drive might be correct. 

PACKAGE_NAME mysql (SQL-based relational database server)

MySQL is a fast, multi-threaded, multi-user, and robust SQL

(Structured Query Language) database server.  It comes with a nice API

which makes it easy to integrate into other applications.

PACKAGE_NAME ntfs-3g - NTFS read/write filesystem driver

The 2009.4.4 version ntfs-3g driver adds to unRAID the ability to read and write NTFS file systems.

The built-in NTFS driver is read-only.

The NTFS-3G driver is an open source, freely available NTFS driver

for Linux with read and write support.  It provides safe and fast

handling of the Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, Windows 2000 and

Windows Vista file systems.  Most POSIX file system operations are

supported, with the exception of full file ownership and access

rights support.

It is not necessary to install the ntfs-3g driver if all you will be doing is reading from nfts file-systems.  This driver is only needed if you are writing to ntfs file systems.

This is a pre-compiled slackware package.  You do not need to install a "C" compiler to compile it on your server.  It is not the very latest version of ntfs-3g, but the most recent pre-compiled Slackware package I could locate. I will work perfectly for any read-only access and most write access of an NTFS file-system.  You will need to see the release notes to determine changes on subsequent versions.

Homepage for the ntfs-3g project: http://www.ntfs-3g.org

PACKAGE_NAME ntfs-3g - NTFS read/write filesystem driver SOURCE CODE version

The 2010.3.6 version ntfs-3g driver adds to unRAID the ability to read and write NTFS file systems.

The built-in NTFS driver is read-only.

The NTFS-3G driver is an open source, freely available NTFS driver

for Linux with read and write support.  It provides safe and fast

handling of the Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, Windows 2000 and

Windows Vista file systems.  Most POSIX file system operations are

supported, with the exception of full file ownership and access

rights support.

This unRAID package compiles and installs the ntfs-3g-2010.3.6 driver from source code.

This is the latest version of ntfs-3g as of March 08, 2010.

PACKAGE_NAME openssh

openssh  (Secure Shell daemon and clients)

ssh (Secure Shell) is a program for logging into a remote machine and

for executing commands on a remote machine.  It is intended to replace

rlogin and rsh, and provide secure encrypted communications between

two untrusted hosts over an insecure network.  sshd (SSH Daemon) is

the daemon program for ssh.

PACKAGE_NAME openssl-solibs (OpenSSL shared libraries)

These shared libraries provide encryption routines required by

programs such as openssh. 

PACKAGE_NAME pci utils (pci  utilities)

library required for "PCI Devices" button on unMENU "System Info" tab.

lspci displays detailed information about all pci buses and devices

in the system, replacing the original /proc/pci interface.

setpci allows reading from and writing to pci device configuration

registers.  For example, you can adjust the latency timers with it.

PACKAGE_NAME perl (Practical Extraction and Report Language)

Larry Wall's "Practical Extraction and Report Language".  Perl is a

language optimized for scanning arbitrary text files, extracting

information from those text files, and printing reports based on that

information.  It's also a good language for many system management

tasks.  The language is intended to be practical (easy to use,

efficient, complete) rather than beautiful (tiny, elegant, minimal).

PACKAGE_NAME PHP

PHP is an HTML-embedded scripting language.  It shares syntax

characteristics with C, Java, and Perl.  The primary objective behind

this language is to make a fast and easy-to-use scripting language

for dynamic web sites.

PACKAGE_NAME Clean Powerdown

Primary purpose is to provide graceful shutdown of the environment when called from scripts

or via command line.

Sets ctrl-alt-del to do powerdown instead of reboot

The lime-technology stock version of powerdown will be renamed as unraid_powerdown if it exists.

PACKAGE_NAME proftpd (FTP server daemon)

ProFTPD is the Professional File Transfer Protocol (FTP) server

daemon.  ProFTPD grew out of the desire to have a secure and

configurable FTP server, and out of a significant admiration of the

Apache web server.

As of unRAID 4.3-beta-1, an FTP server is already included as part of unRAID.

It is vsftpd.

There is NO need to install this proftpd package if you wish to use basic FTP.

Installation of this proftpd package will disable vsftpd and enable proftpd as an alternative FTP service.

You will need to edit the proftpd.conf file to suit your needs

(proftpd.conf is in your packages directory once this package is installed.)

PACKAGE_NAME rsync (remote file sync)

The rsync is a replacement for rcp that has many more features.  It

uses the "rsync algorithm" which provides a very fast method for

bringing remote files into sync.  It does this by sending just the

differences in the files across the link, without requiring that both

sets of files are present at one of the ends of the link beforehand.

PACKAGE_NAME screen (screen manager with VT100/ANSI terminal emulation)

Screen is a full-screen window manager that multiplexes a physical

terminal between several processes (typically interactive shells).

Each virtual terminal provides the functions of a DEC VT100 terminal

and several control functions from the ISO 6492 (ECMA 48, ANSI X3.64)

and ISO 2022 standards (e.g. insert/delete line and support for

multiple character sets).  There is a scrollback history buffer for

each virtual terminal and a copy-and-paste mechanism that allows

moving text regions between windows.

PACKAGE_NAME SMART tools (smartctl hard drive monitoring utilities)

SMARTMONTOOLS contains utilities that control and monitor storage

devices using the Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology

SMARTMONTOOLS is now included with unRAID. It is not necessary to install this package.

PACKAGE_NAME SOcket CAT (netcat-like utility with many enhancements)

socat is a relay for bidirectional data transfer between two independent

data channels.

PACKAGE_NAME subversion (a version control system)

Subversion is a version control system which allows you to keep old

versions of files and directories (usually source code), and keep a

log of who, when, and why changes occurred, similar to other such

systems like CVS, RCS or SCCS.  Subversion keeps all the information

to permit extracting previous versions of those files at any time.

PACKAGE_NAME unRAID swapfile configuration

The unRAID-swapfile configuration is used to create and install a swap-file to allow processes

to use virtual-memory.

PACKAGE_NAME unRAID-Web

UnRAID-Web is a full featured web-server and php based extension to unRAID.  It, like unMENU, provides many new features

you may use to manage an unRAID array.  It also allows for "extensions" to add new functions

to its left-hand navigation menu.

One of the extensions allows you to access most of the unMENU plug-in web-pages

you've already installed.Another extension is AjaxExplorer, a full featured file browser that runs in your web-browser.

(login=admin, password=admin)

UnRAID-Web consists of:

- lighttpd 1.4.19 (light web server)

- php 5.2.8

- Gamin 0.1.9 (FAM - lighttpd dependency)

- libxml (php dependency)

- lighttpd and php config files on the flash (in /boot/custom/lighttpd)

Several "extensions" are supplied.

- unRAID-Web extension - written by BubbaQ

- unMENU extension - written by Joe L.

- Super-Shutdown extension - written by BubbaQ

- AjaxExplorer extension

When installed, the main unRAID-Web page will be present on port 89 of the unRAID server. (typically  http://tower:89)

PACKAGE_NAME unrar (rar extraction/compression program)

WinRAR is a powerful archive manager. It can backup your data

and reduce the size of email attachments, decompress RAR, ZIP

and other files downloaded from Internet and create new

archives in RAR and ZIP file format.

PACKAGE_NAME  wget (a non-interactive network retriever)

GNU Wget is a free network utility to retrieve files from the

World Wide Web using HTTP and FTP, the two most widely used Internet

protocols.  It works non-interactively, thus enabling work in the

background after having logged off.

There is no need to install wget if you are running unRAID 4.4 or later, it is already part of unRAID

PACKAGE_NAME infozip (Info-ZIP's zip and unzip  utilities)

zip is a compression and file packaging utility for Unix, VMS, MSDOS,

OS/2, Windows NT, Minix, Atari and Macintosh, Amiga and Acorn RISC OS.

It is analogous to a combination of the UNIX commands tar(1) and

compress(1) and is compatible with PKZIP (Phil Katz's ZIP).  A

companion program (unzip (1L)), unpacks zip archives.

Hi Joe, yes I did do that.  I selected the C complier on the package list, installed that...following the instructions, then I was able to install the smtp package and configure that. In fact, the smpt package would not install, had a error saying compiler not installed....but after I installed the compiler, smpt installed just fine.  Is there a conf file I can paste here that would help?  

once installed.

So take a look at it.   Don't post it without editing it to remove your real e-mail and password.

[email protected]

rewriteDomain=

[email protected]

UseSTARTTLS=YES

AuthPass=mypasswordhere

FromLineOverride=YES

-Went to the package manager and clicked on the C complier button.  I then clicked on the download button, and finally the Install button.

-I then went back to package manager and clicked on the mail and ssmtp button, then the download button, and finally the install button.  I had to put my information in then as well, email address, etc..  That's it.  Did I miss a step, as while the compiler is installed, I don't recall clicking on any button that says it was recompliing the mail and ssmpt files. Does it do that automatically?

Thanks Joe!

Help Joe!  This is driving me crazy, been trying to get this to work all day.  arg!

once installed.

[email protected]

rewriteDomain=

[email protected]

UseSTARTTLS=YES

AuthPass=mypasswordhere

FromLineOverride=YES

-Went to the package manager and clicked on the C complier button.  I then clicked on the download button, and finally the Install button.

-I then went back to package manager and clicked on the mail and ssmtp button, then the download button, and finally the install button.  I had to put my information in then as well, email address, etc..  That's it.  Did I miss a step, as while the compiler is installed, I don't recall clicking on any button that says it was recompliing the mail and ssmpt files. Does it do that automatically?

Thanks Joe!

Help Joe!  This is driving me crazy, been trying to get this to work all day.  arg!

Once ssmtp is compiled, it does not need to do it again, so it skips that step.

Let's type a few commands that will guarantee it is all re-compiled as expected.

to remove the existing install of ssmtp, type:

rm /usr/sbin/ssmtp

rm /boot/packages/ssmtp-2.61/ssmtp

rm /boot/packages/ssmtp_2.61.orig.tar.gz

rm /boot/packages/ssmtp-2.61/*

rm /usr/bin/sendmail

rm /usr/local/etc/ssmtp/ssmtp.conf

rm /boot/packages/ssmtp.conf

rm /boot/packages/openssl-0.9.8i-i486-1.tgz

rm /boot/packages/mailx-12.3-i486-1.tgz

rm /usr/bin/mail

rm /bin/mail

Then, you should be able to start from the beginning

Install the compiler, then edit the config variables in ssmtp, then install it.

once installed.

[email protected]

rewriteDomain=

[email protected]

UseSTARTTLS=YES

AuthPass=mypasswordhere

FromLineOverride=YES

-Went to the package manager and clicked on the C complier button.  I then clicked on the download button, and finally the Install button.

-I then went back to package manager and clicked on the mail and ssmtp button, then the download button, and finally the install button.  I had to put my information in then as well, email address, etc..  That's it.  Did I miss a step, as while the compiler is installed, I don't recall clicking on any button that says it was recompliing the mail and ssmpt files. Does it do that automatically?

Thanks Joe!

Help Joe!  This is driving me crazy, been trying to get this to work all day.  arg!

Once ssmtp is compiled, it does not need to do it again, so it skips that step.

Let's type a few commands that will guarantee it is all re-compiled as expected.

to remove the existing install of ssmtp, type:

rm /usr/sbin/ssmtp

rm /boot/packages/ssmtp-2.61/ssmtp

rm /boot/packages/ssmtp_2.61.orig.tar.gz

rm /usr/bin/sendmail

rm /usr/local/etc/ssmtp/ssmtp.conf

rm /boot/packages/openssl-0.9.8i-i486-1.tgz

rm /boot/packages/mailx-12.3-i486-1.tgz

rm /usr/bin/mail

rm /bin/mail

Then, you should be able to start from the beginning

Install the compiler, then edit the config variables in ssmtp, then install it.

I was not able to do this one,

I get a cannot remove error, .../mdSauth': Is a directory

For this one,

no such file exists...error

All of the others worked just fine.  Should I proceed with the next step to install everything again?  I wanted to check with you because of the two I got errors on...

Now when I go to the Package Manager, I see that mail ssmtp is not installed, good.  However, it still shows the C complier as installed, and will reload at startup.

Thanks again!

Long list! I've updated the wiki section on Add On Packages as it only had a subset of this list, and the descriptions are now, well, more descriptive. And have added links to some more forum threads. Some cross-referencing to other wiki pages/sections to do.

A couple that may not be needed in this list:

- libxml was on the previous list but not this - still needed here?

- cxxlibs-6.0.9-i486.tgz library - too niche?

The intro para to this section also appears a bit dated:

"These are packages utilizing the UnMENU Package Manager (see above). Once you install UnMENU, you can drop any package .conf file into the /boot/packages folder, and be able to automatically download the tar package, install it, and set it for automatic install on every unRAID boot. Some of these and many others are included in Joe L's latest package file, found here. A direct link to the zipped collection of package .conf files is here (may change or become obsolete of course)."

How about updating to something like:

"Many different packages have been developed or converted to add functionality to your unRAID server. The packages listed below can be installed with just a few clicks through the unMENU Package Manager."

Should it also include a sentence for users who wish to install a package but not unMENU?

Long list! I've updated the wiki section on Add On Packages as it only had a subset of this list, and the descriptions are now, well, more descriptive. And have added links to some more forum threads. Some cross-referencing to other wiki pages/sections to do.

Thank you so very much.  I like it.

A couple that may not be needed in this list:

- libxml was on the previous list but not this - still needed here?

In the older version of the package manager I could not download multiple files, so dependent libraries were separate packages.  Now, the libxml slackware package is downloaded where needed (in both "PHP" and in the "iStat" packages)  I no longer have it as an independent package.

- cxxlibs-6.0.9-i486.tgz library - too niche?

There are still a lot of people on older releases.  I think it is needed for a while yet.

The intro para to this section also appears a bit dated:

"These are packages utilizing the UnMENU Package Manager (see above). Once you install UnMENU, you can drop any package .conf file into the /boot/packages folder, and be able to automatically download the tar package, install it, and set it for automatic install on every unRAID boot. Some of these and many others are included in Joe L's latest package file, found here. A direct link to the zipped collection of package .conf files is here (may change or become obsolete of course)."

How about updating to something like:

"Many different packages have been developed or converted to add functionality to your unRAID server. The packages listed below can be installed with just a few clicks through the unMENU Package Manager."

I'll update that paragraph.  I no longer have a zip file.  The package .conf files are all under subversion control at the google.code web-site.  the unmenu_install package downloads the most current and up to date.  (Important as download links tend to go out of date)

Should it also include a sentence for users who wish to install a package but not unMENU?

Good idea.  The package PACKAGE_INSTALLATION lines are actually a set of shell commands needed to install the package once you have downloaded the needed files.  You can use them to create your own file to install any given package.

Also, anybody can create a new unMENU package file and use it under unMENU. 

Joe L.

Joe,

For this one,

All of the others worked just fine.  I wanted to check with you because of the two I got errors on...

Now when I go to the Package Manager, I see that mail ssmtp is not installed, good.  However, it still shows the C complier as installed

I want to know if we should continue to try to uninstall the compiler, or (being the compiler already shows as installed) should I just try to install the mail/ssmpt package?

Thanks

Joe,

For this one,

All of the others worked just fine.  I wanted to check with you because of the two I got errors on...

Now when I go to the Package Manager, I see that mail ssmtp is not installed, good.  However, it still shows the C complier as installed

I want to know if we should continue to try to uninstall the compiler, or (being the compiler already shows as installed) should I just try to install the mail/ssmpt package?

Thanks

To be certain, reboot.  Request re-install on reboot for the compiler.

Joe,

For this one,

Thanks

To be certain, reboot.  Request re-install on reboot for the compiler.

Ok, set the complier to reinstall on reboot, and rebooted.  I then went to package manager and selected the ssmtp package again, it downloaded and installed.  This time my information was already there, didn't have to configure anything.  I thought that part was weird being I thought we deleted all of that stuff.

Hit the Send Test email and still no luck, browser just hangs and says waiting for server to send......bla..bla....

during this phase, unmenu is hung, meaning if I click to go the the Main page, I get a link is broken error from IE.  I have to wait for it to fail and then I can get back in to unmenu.

here is the info from ssmtp.conf

[email protected]

rewriteDomain=

[email protected]

UseSTARTTLS=YES

AuthUser=gmailaccountname

AuthPass=mypassword

FromLineOverride=YES

syslog info

May 10 06:47:01 Tower sSMTP[7749]: Creating SSL connection to host

May 10 06:48:34 Tower unmenu[1543]: ls: cannot access /boot/custom/etc/rc.d/*: No such file or directory

May 10 06:48:43 Tower unmenu[1543]: ls: cannot access /boot/custom/etc/rc.d/*: No such file or directory

May 10 06:49:03 Tower sSMTP[9034]: Creating SSL connection to host

May 10 06:57:01 Tower sSMTP[7749]: Invalid response SMTP Server (STARTTLS)

May 10 06:57:01 Tower sSMTP[7749]: Cannot open smtp.gmail.com:465

May 10 06:59:03 Tower sSMTP[9034]: Connection lost in middle of processing

May 10 06:59:03 Tower unmenu[1543]: awk: ./unmenu.awk:437: fatal: print to "/inet/tcp/8080/0/0" failed (Connection reset by peer)

May 10 06:59:03 Tower unmenu-status: Exiting unmenu web-server, exit status code = 2

May 10 06:59:03 Tower unmenu[1543]: unmenu.awk unable to open port. It may already be running

May 10 06:59:13 Tower unmenu-status: Starting unmenu web-server

now what?

:'(