unMENU 1.5 ... now available for download.

I looked at the conf files and think I have a glimmer of understanding.  I developed this one but have not yet tried it.  Does it look correct assuming that the tgz file is in packages?

#UNMENU_RELEASE $Revision: 7 $ $Date: 2010-03-29 23:12:23 -0400 (Mon, 29 Mar 2010) $

PACKAGE_NAME libx86 (Libraries needed for some packages specifically s2ram)

PACKAGE_DESCR Collection of unix libraries needed by s2ram

PACKAGE_FILE libx86-1.1-i486-1.tgz

PACKAGE_INSTALLED /usr/lib/libx86-1.1-i486-1

PACKAGE_DEPENDENCIES none

PACKAGE_INSTALLATION installpkg libx86-1.1-i486-1.tgz

PACKAGE_MEMORY_USAGE Light (10K to 500K)

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Joe,

I have a copy of libx86 tgz file.  I wish to be able to install it into my system using unmenu's package manager.  I assume I need some sort of a conf file. Is there one available?

If there isn't I assume I just have to install it with installpkg from my go file.

Advice appreciated.

If you have other packages already "auto-installing" as configured from unMENU's package manager, then it is already scanning the /boot/packages directory for any file with a name ending in .auto_install

This files are executed when you boot via that line already added to the "go" script.

If you have your own libx86.tgz file that needs to be installed each time you reboot, all you need to do is put file in /boot/packages, and then put the appropriate installation commands in a file in the /boot/packages directory named something like libx86.auto_install

I think the full name of the slackware lib86 library file is: libx86-1.1-i486-1.txz

If it is just one installpkg line, you can create the file by typing:

echo "installpkg libx86-1.1-i486-1.txz" >/boot/packages/libx86.auto_install

on the command line.

Obviously, use the correct name for your slackware package if it is not libx86-1.1-i486-1.txz.

There is no need to create a Package-Manager package unless you wish to assist others in downloading and installing this library.  Since a library by itself is not likely to needed, but instead compiled into a utility, I'd just create a package for the utility and have it include the library.

The format for a Package-Manager .conf file is described here: http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php?title=UnMENU_documentation#unmenu_package_manager_package.conf

Joe L.

I looked at the conf files and think I have a glimmer of understanding.  I developed this one but have not yet tried it.  Does it look correct assuming that the tgz file is in packages?

#UNMENU_RELEASE $Revision: 7 $ $Date: 2010-03-29 23:12:23 -0400 (Mon, 29 Mar 2010) $

PACKAGE_NAME libx86 (Libraries needed for some packages specifically s2ram)

PACKAGE_DESCR Collection of unix libraries needed by s2ram

PACKAGE_URL http://slackware.cs.utah.edu/pub/slackware/slackware-12.2/slackware/ap/libx86-1.1-i486-1.tgz

PACKAGE_MD5 f59d873bd9e9350eec0c3f34981c2793

PACKAGE_INSTALLED /usr/lib/libx86-1.1-i486-1

PACKAGE_INSTALLED /usr/lib/libx86.so.1

PACKAGE_VERSION_TEST ls --time-style=long-iso -l /usr/lib/libx86.so | awk '{print $10}'

PACKAGE_VERSION_STRING libx86.so.1

You would need to add the URL for download, otherwise, the .conf file is useless to others, then add the MD5.  Also needed is the correct file name to test for installation.  It is libx86.so.1

Finally, you really need a line to test for the version and a version string.  I've no idea what happens if they are omitted.  The best way I know for shared libraries, since they are linked to a main .so file, is to test for the symbolic link and determine what the main file is linked to.  The PACKAGE_VERSION_TEST line I added above do that.

I've not tested this, but it should work.  Far better would be if there was a link to download s2ram and have the package download it and the needed support library.

Joe L.

I am understanding more and more.

I am now at the point where I want to buold the proper s2ram package which includes the libx86 package. I am a little stuck on how I go about getting the md5 checksums for the packages.  

A few questions I there anyway to eliminate the MD5 check?  What if I do not want the system to try and down load a file but just have the copy exist in the packages directory. Is there a way to do that? What iof the download file contains both the tgz and the s2ram in a zip file can that be handled?

What I have so far (not tried) is as follows:

PACKAGE_NAME <b>s2ram</b>

PACKAGE_DESCR s2ram package for advanced sleep options

PACKAGE_DESCR Will also install libx86 which it needs

PACKAGE_INSTALLED /usr/local/sbin/s2ram

PACKAGE_INSTALLATION cp /boot/packages/s2ram /usr/local/sbin/s2ram

The above gives me two issues, I can not get the detail as it tells me that the s2ram package is undefined on the button in the package manager.  It does tell me it is installed as I did install it manually, but it does not allow me to do the reinstall on boot I assume due to the prior comment

I assume the full conf entry should look something like this:

PACKAGE_URL http://slackware.cs.utah.edu/pub/slackware/slackware-12.2/slackware/ap/libx86-1.1-i486-1.tgz

PACKAGE_MD5 How do I determine/get the proper checksum

PACKAGE_EXTRA_URL ???what do I place here if I do not wish the file to be downloaded????

PACKAGE_EXTRA_FILE s2ram

PACKAGE_EXTRA_MD5

Joe, I really appreciate the assistance you are providing.  I really hope to be able to repay you in kind in the future.

I am understanding more and more.

I am now at the point where I want to buold the proper s2ram package which includes the libx86 package. I am a little stuck on how I go about getting the md5 checksums for the packages.  

Easy.  Download a file, then type:

md5sum filename

A few questions I there anyway to eliminate the MD5 check?

I've not tried.  It is not used when a I am just creating a shell script, as in the monthly parity check package.
 What if I do not want the system to try and down load a file but just have the copy exist in the packages directory. Is there a way to do that?
Yes, just treat it as the e-mail notifications script and test if your needed file exists as the first part of the installation.  If not, exit.
What iof the download file contains both the tgz and the s2ram in a zip file can that be handled?
Then you need to un-zip them as the first PACKAGE_INSTALLATION instruction, and then go from there as needed.

What I have so far (not tried) is as follows:

The above gives me two issues, I can not get the detail as it tells me that the s2ram package is undefined on the button in the package manager.  It does tell me it is installed as I did install it manually, but it does not allow me to do the reinstall on boot I assume due to the prior comment

I assume the full conf entry should look something like this:

As you've discovered, giving only half the "PACKAGE" tokens results in incomplete functionality.

PACKAGE_MD5 How do I determine/get the proper checksum

PACKAGE_EXTRA_URL ???what do I place here if I do not wish the file to be downloaded????

PACKAGE_EXTRA_FILE s2ram

PACKAGE_EXTRA_MD5

You would not use the EXTRA fields at all.  They are only for files to be downloaded.

If you expected the file to exist, then you would use a line or two like this (using whatever file name you expected): 

PACKAGE_INSTALLATION [ ! -f s2ram ] && echo "Error: You must first download s2ram and put a copy in the packages directory."

PACKAGE_INSTALLATION [ ! -f s2ram ] && exit

Joe, I really appreciate the assistance you are providing.  I really hope to be able to repay you in kind in the future.

Since s2Ram is a sorceforge project, and we have the compiler, you could easily structure the download to get the source files and then compile it.  Exactly like the newer ntfs-3g driver module.

Joe L.

I have the s2ram binary package and I have the libx86 tgz. Am I correct in assuming that the following is all I really need if I want to cause those too packages to be autoloaded on a reboot without dealing with managing the packages in the unMenu package manager?

have in /boot/packages the file s2ram.auto_install  which contains

PACKAGE_DIRECTORY=/boot/packages

SCRIPT_DIRECTORY=/boot/unmenu

From what I understand since I use the auto install capability in my Go file that should be it

I really don't need the conf file or the manual_install file.

I have the s2ram binary package and I have the libx86 tgz. Am I correct in assuming that the following is all I really need if I want to cause those too packages to be autoloaded on a reboot without dealing with managing the packages in the unMenu package manager?

have in /boot/packages the file s2ram.auto_install  which contains

PACKAGE_DIRECTORY=/boot/packages

SCRIPT_DIRECTORY=/boot/unmenu

From what I understand since I use the auto install capability in my Go file that should be it

I really don't need the conf file or the manual_install file.

You are close...

In your s2ram.auto_install file you need only two lines:

installpkg libx86-1.1-i486-1.tgz

cp /boot/packages/s2ram /usr/local/sbin/s2ram

The PACKAGE_INSTALLATION tokens are only use by the package manager, and since it is not involved at all, they should not be included.  The top two lines defining environment variables are not used in your script either, so that just leaves two commands.

You are correct, you do not need the .conf file or the .manual_install file.

Joe L.

have you noticed this comment "Hint to prospective extension authors: start learning Ruby..."

Yes, we've noticed it. 

I've already reserved myself a seat for a Ruby class in March 2013, so I'll be ready for the new unRAID just in time.  ;) 

have you noticed this comment "Hint to prospective extension authors: start learning Ruby..."

Yes, we've noticed it.  

I've already reserved myself a seat for a Ruby class in March 2013, so I'll be ready for the new unRAID just in time.  ;)  

purko,

I've just added a new package to unMENU's package manager.  It will install Ruby and Sinatra. It is named  ruby-unmenu-package.conf

You can get it by using the "Check for Updates" button on the User-Scripts page in unMENU 1.3.

There is no reason for you to wait until 2013 for you to have some class.   You can start working with Ruby/Sinatra today.  ;);D

Joe L.

For the user that commented about the DS_Cleanup package not working:

I have found the problem... i think and am working on fixing it.  It appears the .autoinstall is not happening because of the package variable lines of the script.

I will look into it tonight and get a fix for it up here as soon as I can.

purko,

There is no reason for you to wait until 2013 for you to have some class.   

You can start working with Ruby/Sinatra today, when you have no class.  ;);D

That lame attempt to make a pun had no class.  You can do better than that.     

It was a poor attempt at humor.  my apologies.

Downloaded and installed the newest version. 

Having a problem when I try to edit thinks like the airvideo parameters the do not stay.  Always reverts back to the defaults.  Same thing is happening with the mail scripts.  Any Ideas?

For the airvideo one, can you please post your test.properties file.  I want to see if it has been changed like it should be. It might just be a mistake on my part of not putting quotes around something.

For the user that commented about the DS_Cleanup package not working:

I have found the problem... i think and am working on fixing it.  It appears the .autoinstall is not happening because of the package variable lines of the script.

I will look into it tonight and get a fix for it up here as soon as I can.

I've just uploaded a fix for this to google.code.

The bug that was identified affected more than just the DS_Cleanup package.

This bug would have affected the auto-install on re-boot on any package having an editable variable containing spaces or characters special to the shell.

I was not quoting the editable variable values in packages in the .auto_install files.  I was quoting them in the .manual_install files.

All would have worked until you rebooted and failing if there were spaces in the variable involved.

Use the Check-for-Updates button on the user-scripts page to get the updated Package-Manager file.  Then, you'll need to disable auto-install and then re-enable auto-install for any installed package where there are editable variables.   Then, you may want to reboot to get them to be installed with the proper values.

Joe L.

Attached to this post is a new version of the ds_store_cleanup package.  I refined some of the logic and it should now print what has been removed to standard out.  I have not run this over night yet to make sure it will print but the command run on the command line does indeed print what is being removed.

P.S. glad I could help you JoeL find the error in the .autoinstall files.  It was confusing as hell when I first started looking into it and finally decided to read through the syslog and that was when I found it.  Hell I even managed to guess the correct fix... (a small victory for me today as the rest of the day at work was rather long).

Attached to this post is a new version of the ds_store_cleanup package.  I refined some of the logic and it should now print what has been removed to standard out.  I have not run this over night yet to make sure it will print but the command run on the command line does indeed print what is being removed.

P.S. glad I could help you JoeL find the error in the .autoinstall files.  It was confusing as hell when I first started looking into it and finally decided to read through the syslog and that was when I found it.  Hell I even managed to guess the correct fix... (a small victory for me today as the rest of the day at work was rather long).

You have used "rm -rf" in the new version.  The original just used "rm". 

I'm concerned about the use of the recursive&force options. ("-rf")

You should not need to force any removal, and should not need to make it recursive.  I think you might accidentally delete a directory tree somebody just wished to keep hidden. beginning with ._

Please educate me as to why you are removing directories, not just files.    If there is a valid reason, fine, but I just need to know more about your intent.

I have not run this over night yet to make sure it will print but the command run on the command line does indeed print what is being removed.

If you have set up ssmtp and mailx, cron will mail the output sent to standard out to the "root" user.  It will be sent to you as an e-mail. 

Is this your intent?  To get an e-mail each night?    The only way to not get the mail is to re-direct stdout to a log file, or to /dev/null. (or, of course, to not set up mail)

I have not run this over night yet to make sure it will print but the command run on the command line does indeed print what is being removed.

If you have set up ssmtp and mailx, cron will mail the output sent to standard out to the "root" user.  It will be sent to you as an e-mail.  

Is this your intent?  To get an e-mail each night?    The only way to not get the mail is to re-direct stdout to a log file, or to /dev/null. (or, of course, to not set up mail)

Yes, I had planned to get a print out, at least the first couple times to see how well it was working.  But I guess it would be better to allow the user to choose if they want that "feature" there or not.  Perhaps a new Variable field that would allow the user to print the output or send it to /dev/null

As for the "-rf" you are probably correct in that the -r is not needed. The -f was there because I assumed I needed it.  I have always "rm -rf"'ed files from my machine and I guess it can be chalked up ignorance for using the option.

EDIT: So I made some changes... again to the package that will hopefully make it  a little more useful.

• NEW: add another variable that can be set to 0 or 1.  If set to zero the "printout" of the deleted .DS_Store files and the ._ files is sent to /dev/null and the user never sees anything about it.  If set to 1 then a "-print" option is added and if JoeL's mail package is setup and installed you will get an email list of what was removed

EDIT2: I can confirm that if using the option to print the results and you have JoeL's mail script installed you will indeed get an email that lists all the .DS_Store and ._ files that were removed.  I will leave my install like that for a couple days just to make sure everything works and then probably set the option so that I do not get the emails.

ds_store_cleanup-unmenu-package.conf.zip

I just noticed the following in my log of the go file execution.

sh: ./Not: No such file or directory

I am not sure when it started showing up.  It appears after unmenu has started the installation of the auto_install scripts.  I eliminated all of the auto_install scripts and it still occurrs.  I have commented out the line in the go file todo the auto installs and is still occurrs so I suspect it is something that is going on unrelated to the auto install process.  My go file looks as follows:

#!/bin/bash

logger -t "GOSCRIPT"  "##### Start the GO script. #####"

echo ">>>>> Start the GO script. "

# Make the mount points I desire in my system and mount the devices

logger -t "GOSCRIPT"  "Make mount points and mount devices"

echo ">>>>> Make mount points and mount devices"

# first we make the mount points (directories we need) for unRaid. if they already exist command will not execute

mkdir /mnt/scratch

mkdir /mnt/scratch/smarthistory

mkdir /mnt/scratch/slimserver

# now we mount what needs to be mounted

mount -w -t vfat /dev/disk/by-label/SCRATCH /mnt/scratch

mount --bind /mnt/scratch/smarthistory /boot/smarthistory

sleep 5

# Move the syslogs to the scratch drive logs folder keeping all syslogs

logger -t "GOSCRIPT" "Move the syslog to the scratch/log folder"

echo ">>>>> Move the syslog to the scratch/log folder"

logdir="/mnt/scratch/logs" # <-- modify this if you want the logs elsewhere.

mkdir -p $logdir

logfile="$logdir/syslog.`date +%Y-%m-%d_%H.%M.%S`.log"

cat /var/log/syslog > $logfile

echo "*.debug $logfile" >> /etc/syslog.conf

echo "*.*  -/dev/tty12" >> /etc/syslog.conf

/etc/rc.d/rc.syslog restart

sleep 5

# Start the Management Utility

logger -t "GOSCRIPT"  "Start the unRaid web GUI"

echo ">>>>> Start the unRaid web GUI"

/usr/local/sbin/emhttp &

sleep 5

# Wait for the array to start... (before installing any packages that may expect the array to be fully started)

logger -t "GOSCRIPT"  "Waiting for the array to start"

echo ">>>>> Waiting for the array to start"

until `cat /proc/mdcmd 2>/dev/null | grep -q -a "STARTED" ` ; do echo ">>>waiting..." ; sleep 1 ; done ; echo ">>>STARTED."

sleep 5

# Start the unMenu system

logger -t "GOSCRIPT"  "Start the unMenu advanced WEB GUI"

echo ">>>>> Start the unMenu advanced WEB GUI"

/boot/unmenu/uu

sleep 5

# Find all of the auto_install scripts and run them

echo ">>>>> Find all of the auto_install scripts and run them"

logger -t "GOSCRIPT"  "Find and install all *.auto_install scripts"

cd /boot/packages && find . -name '*.auto_install' -type f -print | sort | xargs -n1 sh -c

echo ">>>>> Package Auto Installation Complete"

sleep 5

# Start the scripts that I have written

echo ">>>>> Install and start the scripts that I have written"

#logger -t "GOSCRIPT" "Install the tcpip_notify script"

# This script sends a message to the unraid plugin of the Pronto PAL

echo ">>>>> Install the tcpip_notify.sh script for notifying the Pronto PAL"

cp /boot/custom/scripts/tcpip_notify.sh /usr/sbin/tcpip_notify

chmod +x /usr/sbin/tcpip_notify

tcpip_notify start

sleep 5

logger -t "GOSCRIPT"  "Install tcpip_listener system"

echo ">>>>> Install the tcpip_listener.sh  script"

cp /boot/custom/scripts/tcpip_listener.sh /usr/sbin/tcpip_listener

chmod +x /usr/sbin/tcpip_listener

tcpip_listener start &

sleep 5

logger -t "GOSCRIPT"  "Spin down the unused 120 Gig Samsung Drive"

echo ">>>>> Spin down the unused 120 Gig Samsung Drive by setting timer to 500 seconds"

hdparm -S100 /dev/hda

sleep 5

# Set the smartcontrol process to run daily (Requires smarthistory.php and PHP to be installed)

#cp /boot/unmenu/50-unmenu_user_script_smarthist-graph  /etc/cron.daily; 

#chmod 755 /etc/cron.daily/50-unmenu_user_script_smarthist-graph

#sleep 5

# We are now done with my GO Script so fancy beep and log that fact

beep -f 700 ; beep -f 500 ; beep -f 700 ; beep -f 500

logger -t "GOSCRIPT"  "##### Done with the GO script. #####"

echo "##### Done with the GO script. #####"

Any help appreciated.

I am not sure when it started showing up.  It appears after unmenu has started the installation of the auto_install scripts.  I eliminated all of the auto_install scripts and it still occurrs.  I have commented out the line in the go file todo the auto installs and is still occurrs so I suspect it is something that is going on unrelated to the auto install process.  My go file looks as follows:

#!/bin/bash

logger -t "GOSCRIPT"  "##### Start the GO script. #####"

echo ">>>>> Start the GO script. "

# Make the mount points I desire in my system and mount the devices

logger -t "GOSCRIPT"  "Make mount points and mount devices"

echo ">>>>> Make mount points and mount devices"

# first we make the mount points (directories we need) for unRaid. if they already exist command will not execute

mkdir /mnt/scratch

mkdir /mnt/scratch/smarthistory

mkdir /mnt/scratch/slimserver

# now we mount what needs to be mounted

mount -w -t vfat /dev/disk/by-label/SCRATCH /mnt/scratch

mount --bind /mnt/scratch/smarthistory /boot/smarthistory

sleep 5

# Move the syslogs to the scratch drive logs folder keeping all syslogs

logger -t "GOSCRIPT" "Move the syslog to the scratch/log folder"

echo ">>>>> Move the syslog to the scratch/log folder"

logdir="/mnt/scratch/logs" # <-- modify this if you want the logs elsewhere.

mkdir -p $logdir

logfile="$logdir/syslog.`date +%Y-%m-%d_%H.%M.%S`.log"

cat /var/log/syslog > $logfile

echo "*.debug $logfile" >> /etc/syslog.conf

echo "*.*  -/dev/tty12" >> /etc/syslog.conf

/etc/rc.d/rc.syslog restart

sleep 5

# Start the Management Utility

logger -t "GOSCRIPT"  "Start the unRaid web GUI"

echo ">>>>> Start the unRaid web GUI"

/usr/local/sbin/emhttp &

sleep 5

# Wait for the array to start... (before installing any packages that may expect the array to be fully started)

logger -t "GOSCRIPT"  "Waiting for the array to start"

echo ">>>>> Waiting for the array to start"

until `cat /proc/mdcmd 2>/dev/null | grep -q -a "STARTED" ` ; do echo ">>>waiting..." ; sleep 1 ; done ; echo ">>>STARTED."

sleep 5

# Start the unMenu system

logger -t "GOSCRIPT"  "Start the unMenu advanced WEB GUI"

echo ">>>>> Start the unMenu advanced WEB GUI"

/boot/unmenu/uu

sleep 5

# Find all of the auto_install scripts and run them

echo ">>>>> Find all of the auto_install scripts and run them"

logger -t "GOSCRIPT"  "Find and install all *.auto_install scripts"

cd /boot/packages && find . -name '*.auto_install' -type f -print | sort | xargs -n1 sh -c

echo ">>>>> Package Auto Installation Complete"

sleep 5

# Start the scripts that I have written

echo ">>>>> Install and start the scripts that I have written"

tcpip_notify start

sleep 5

tcpip_listener start &

sleep 5

logger -t "GOSCRIPT"  "Spin down the unused 120 Gig Samsung Drive"

echo ">>>>> Spin down the unused 120 Gig Samsung Drive by setting timer to 500 seconds"

hdparm -S100 /dev/hda

sleep 5

# Set the smartcontrol process to run daily (Requires smarthistory.php and PHP to be installed)

#cp /boot/unmenu/50-unmenu_user_script_smarthist-graph  /etc/cron.daily; 

#chmod 755 /etc/cron.daily/50-unmenu_user_script_smarthist-graph

#sleep 5

# We are now done with my GO Script so fancy beep and log that fact

beep -f 700 ; beep -f 500 ; beep -f 700 ; beep -f 500

logger -t "GOSCRIPT"  "##### Done with the GO script. #####"

echo "##### Done with the GO script. #####"

Any help appreciated.

If you commented out all the extra stuff in your "go" script you'll find it will go away.  Put it back incrementally until you see it appear again.

To me, it looks as if you have the word "Not" in a shell script that you think is a comment but is "Not" (pun intended)

Joe L.

I am not sure when it started showing up.

Barry,

Most likely you're referencing some file that has space in the name and is not enclosed in quotes 'xxx'.

Or, one of your custom scripts has windows-style carriage returns in it.

Open the GO script in your text editor, alongside with a telnet window.

Copy/Paste one line at a time to the telnet session.  You'll see when the error shows up.

tcpip_notify start

sleep 5

tcpip_listener start &

sleep 5

My bet is that the error is in one of your two "Notification" scripts I highlighted in RED above.