Anybody planning a Ryzen build?

5 minutes ago, ufopinball said:

For "Pinball Circus", you mean the game from Python?  I've played the one at the Pinball Hall of Fame in Las Vegas.  

Yup, that's the one.  It's one of two prototypes, never went into production.  Python died in the past few years, but before he passed he shared his design with a group of guys that wanted to bring it to market.  2 or 3 years ago I got to see the prototypes in whitewood, which Python had signed.  Last year I got to see the first running demo, which was sorta playable.  I assume by now it should be ready for production.  

Hmmm, video full-screens for me just fine, but not sure I would recommend it.  When I just tried it, it made me nauseous.  Looks like Youtube is applying a video warp stabilization to eliminate the shakes, and it was like watching an acid trip.  Hmmm, then again, maybe you should watch it full screen.

My up-time passed 7 days today, still going strong.

I'm curious what Lime-Tech thinks of our results so far, and how C-states might affect unRAID.

-Paul

One more data point. Running 

-Ryzen 1700 

-Asus Prime x370 Pro

-16GB DDR4 2400 (running at 2133)

I turned off global C state and it's been running stable for 2 days.

S3 Sleep and WOL also works great except CPU fans comes back on full (might be related to incorrect CPU temps)

Hey you all,

I've been lurking for a year now wanting to build a high quality unRaid server for plex, rtorrent, backups and whatever interesting dockers I find on the forums.
I want to build a server that can transcode to at least 3 users simultaneously and take a heavy load on lots of torrents.

I'm planning on this build, which is an overkill, but I want to build and forget without having to upgrade in the near future. It is also key that it is as low power consumption as possible:

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Sweet_Lou/saved/psPcf7
The prices are danish krone prices that I have converted into US dollars, that is why everything is so expensive.

Edited by JohanSF

Hey Everyone,

A quick status update on my setup.  Since I have updated to PRIME X370-PRO BIOS 0604 with Global C-State disabled I have seen positive results.  Current up-time is 17hrs, 10mins which is the longest stretch I have seen.

If all continues to go well it seems as though AMD AGESA microcode update and Disabling Global C-State have resolved my unRAID hanging issues.  Once I have had some considerable up-time I will try to re-enable Global C-State and evaluate that result.

Hope everyone else is seeing similar success.

-Chad

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, JohanSF said:

Hey you all,

I've been lurking for a year now wanting to build a high quality unRaid server for plex, rtorrent, backups and whatever interesting dockers I find on the forums.
I want to build a server that can transcode to at least 3 users simultaneously and take a heavy load on lots of torrents.

I'm planning on this build, which is an overkill, but I want to build and forget without having to upgrade in the near future. It is also key that it is as low power consumption as possible:

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Sweet_Lou/saved/psPcf7
The prizes are danish krone prizes that I have converted into US dollars, that is why everything is so expensive.

Way too much ram for what you're planning, and I'd stick to dual channel as long as you don't need more than 32gb.  This isn't a quad channel platform, you're just giving yourself more room for issues there.  Speed seems good enough, yes, Ryzen responds well to higher, but cost and reliability are imo more significant for a pure server like this.  If you got a good price on 2400 it might be worth it, but higher I'd recommend against for my own customers.   A four port raid carg doesn't need to be expensive for one that's good enough for these purposes.  Otherwise I like it...  

In terms of commentary though, the only big thing I'd point out that is M.2 looking like it loses the possibility of cache raid 1 (I haven't read the mobo manuals, so double check this), and the usual questions as to the value proposition of Samsung Pros vs Evos, as well as how much gain you're actually going to see against SATA in a network environment.  I would at least consider sata SSDs for this, especially if the price difference gets to a level you could consider a pair of them (I doubt it would be THAT dramatic, but silly things happen in pricing this stuff).  Beyond that, I kind of think 6 core is more reasonable for a general home server, but you've mentioned that already, so sure.

Edited by Bureaucromancer
44 minutes ago, Bureaucromancer said:

Way too much ram for what you're planning, and I'd stick to dual channel as long as you don't need more than 32gb.  This isn't a quad channel platform, you're just giving yourself more room for issues there.  Speed seems good enough, yes, Ryzen responds well to higher, but cost and reliability are imo more significant for a pure server like this.  If you got a good price on 2400 it might be worth it, but higher I'd recommend against for my own customers.   A four port raid carg doesn't need to be expensive for one that's good enough for these purposes.  Otherwise I like it...  

In terms of commentary though, the only big thing I'd point out that is M.2 looking like it loses the possibility of cache raid 1 (I haven't read the mobo manuals, so double check this), and the usual questions as to the value proposition of Samsung Pros vs Evos, as well as how much gain you're actually going to see against SATA in a network environment.  I would at least consider sata SSDs for this, especially if the price difference gets to a level you could consider a pair of them (I doubt it would be THAT dramatic, but silly things happen in pricing this stuff).  Beyond that, I kind of think 6 core is more reasonable for a general home server, but you've mentioned that already, so sure.

That you very much for considering this built and commenting.

In terms of money, I rarely spend any, but when I do I want to do it right. Therefore I don't mind cashing out a little extra to get the best brands for this build, but I need your help to keep the sanity level up :D

• What do you mean not a quad channel platform? UnRaid?
    • I could go with 16 GB, and maybe even drop to the non-pro4 AB350M motherboard that only supports two ram-blocks, I just don't want to regret this downgrade later on. But then again.. If I go for 32 GB ram and the server maxes out at a 7 GB usage, then I wasted a lot of money.
  • Are you saying that if I get a M.2 port-connected SSD there is a risk that unRaid won't support it as a cache drive? How would I go about checking this in the motherboard manual?
    • I'd rather have it in the M.2 than having it take up a SATA port that I could use with a HDD. Also, its awesome to have such a small and hidden away SSD :)
  • The Ryzen 1700 wins the passmark divided by TDP game so that's why I'm going with that one.

More feedback and criticism is very welcome.

56 minutes ago, JohanSF said:

That you very much for considering this built and commenting.

In terms of money, I rarely spend any, but when I do I want to do it right. Therefore I don't mind cashing out a little extra to get the best brands for this build, but I need your help to keep the sanity level up :D

• What do you mean not a quad channel platform? UnRaid?
    • I could go with 16 GB, and maybe even drop to the non-pro4 AB350M motherboard that only supports two ram-blocks, I just don't want to regret this downgrade later on. But then again.. If I go for 32 GB ram and the server maxes out at a 7 GB usage, then I wasted a lot of money.
  • Are you saying that if I get a M.2 port-connected SSD there is a risk that unRaid won't support it as a cache drive? How would I go about checking this in the motherboard manual?
    • I'd rather have it in the M.2 than having it take up a SATA port that I could use with a HDD. Also, its awesome to have such a small and hidden away SSD :)
  • The Ryzen 1700 wins the passmark divided by TDP game so that's why I'm going with that one.

More feedback and criticism is very welcome.

Welcome to unRAID!  I think you'll be very happy with an unRAID server.  That said, it might be a tad ambitious to use Ryzen for your first ever unRAID server.  There are obviously some stability problems, which if you reading this thread you know we are still working through them.  My server's been up about 9 days now, and for the most part is running fine with Global C-State Control disabled, but if I do the wrong thing (like try to install a Lubuntu VM) the server crashes hard.  These are issues you most likely won't experience on Intel.  Since Lime-Tech has been very quiet on Ryzen stability issues, we're all in a waiting game to see if things improve, either due to newer Linux kernels, or changes to the way Lime-Tech makes unRAID.

I've been using unRAID for 8 years now, and I love the product.  I also love the new Ryzen CPU's, they are amazing.  But I am very frustrated with unRAID + Ryzen.  If you want to do it, do so knowing you might encounter some challenges.

Regarding the rest of your questions:

The Ryzen CPU's provide for Dual Channel Memory (same as most Intel processors, except for the Extreme versions and Xeon server chips, which are Quad Channel Memory).  This means on Ryzen, if you only insert 1 stick of memory, you get Single Channel, if you insert 2 sticks you get Dual Channel (2x memory bandwidth), but if you insert 4 sticks, you still only get Dual Channel.

I would recommend you get a motherboard with 4 memory slots, for future expansion, but plan on only using 2 slots for now.  2x 8GB sticks (16GB total) will also be about the fastest you can run memory on Ryzen (8GB DIMMs are "Single Rank", which Ryzen can run faster than "Dual Rank" DIMM's like the 4GB and 16GB sticks).  Definitely get memory that has been QVL'd by the motherboard vendor (you'll see this on their website, typically along with the BIOS and Driver files).  If you find that 16GB is not enough in the future, you can easily add 2 more 8GB sticks and be up to 32GB without loosing any of your current investment, though you may have to slow your memory down a bit to run 4 sticks.

I would also recommend you step up to DDR4-2400, which seems to be the sweet spot on Ryzen in regards to price/performance vs. support/stability.

unRAID does support using an M.2 as a cache drive.

What Bureaucromancer is saying regarding M.2 drives is this:  If you want to protect your cache data, it is a best practice to configure 2 drives in a mirror, aka RAID 1.  That way if one drive fails, the backup drive still has your cache data.  And considering that dockers and VM's are usually stored on the cache drive, you have much more data at risk on your cache drive than just data waiting to be copied into the protected unRAID array.  But if you only have 1 M.2 slot, you most likely can't create a RAID 1 with a M.2 drive + SATA SSD, and even if you can you most likely give up the performance improvements from using an M.2 drive.

Some motherboards have dual M.2 slots (like mine), but typically they are not the same speed: one might be full speed (32Gb/s PCIe 3.0 x4) and another half speed (20Gb/s PCIe 2.0 x4) (this is what my motherboard does) and others may actually be running in SATA mode (6Gb/s).  If you do want to create a RAID 1 mirrored cache, you'll want to pay close attention to M.2 port speeds to make sure you don't combine a 32Gb/s port with a 6Gb/s port and get poor performance.

Setting up a RAID 1 for your cache drive is purely optional.  If you don't care about protecting that data, you certainly don't have to.  Alternatively, you can set up a job to occasionally back up the data on your cache drive to your protected array.

-Paul

Edited by Pauven
Clarity
3 minutes ago, SM411 said:

Has anyone tested if AMD Ryzen builds work without GPU, i.e. does it boot?

I see no need for a GPU on a unRAID server, but my current setup requires a GPU to boot which consumes unnecessary electricity. 

In general, PC's don't boot without some kind of GPU.  This is a BIOS limitation, and most will throw a boot error without even the most basic video capabilities being available.  There may be exceptions to this requirement, but I'm not aware of any examples.

Now, for unRAID, plugging in a monitor is completely optional.  This is true of Ryzen as well.

With tons of AMD APU's and Intel CPU's with integrated graphics, I can see the misconception that you can boot without a graphics; all you are doing is booting without a plug-in GPU, but you still have video capabilities built into the CPU, so you are still booting with a GPU.

Since Ryzen has no built-in GPU, I picked up an nVidia GT 710 for my server.  It's pretty cheap, and only takes a PCIe x1 slot.

-Paul

First I would like to thank Paul for his time and effort in the current issues.

Currently I'm running a R7 1800X, with the Gigabyte AX370-Gaming-5 with the latest F5 BIOS which has the AGESA 1.0.0.4 updates. Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 2666mhz.

I was having serious stability issues until I noted the C-State settings. Since being disabled in the BIOS my system seems to be running stable, while running half a dozen docker containers and 4 VM's of varying OS's. I will note that when enabling the XMP profiles in my BIOS anything over 2400mhz causes unRAID(6.3.3) to kernel panic on boot. Curious if anyone else is seeing similar issues, especially since Ryzen benefits from faster memory.

5 minutes ago, H0riz0n said:

First I would like to thank Paul for his time and effort in the current issues.

Currently I'm running a R7 1800X, with the Gigabyte AX370-Gaming-5 with the latest F5 BIOS which has the AGESA 1.0.0.4 updates. Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 2666mhz.

I was having serious stability issues until I noted the C-State settings. Since being disabled in the BIOS my system seems to be running stable, while running half a dozen docker containers and 4 VM's of varying OS's. I will note that when enabling the XMP profiles in my BIOS anything over 2400mhz causes unRAID(6.3.3) to kernel panic on boot. Curious if anyone else is seeing similar issues, especially since Ryzen benefits from faster memory.

Happy to help!  

Did you notice any increase in power consumption or temperatures with C-states disabled?

I've never been able to get my motherboard to boot above 2400, even when running 3600 memory, so I couldn't even get far enough to get a kernel panic.  

I just checked and it looks like you are running QVL'd memory, so I would expect the BIOS support to be good.  Have you run Memtest86?  You might have bad memory.  Sometimes re-installing the memory  into different slots can help too.

-Paul

I did notice a small increase in power consumption, temperatures no, but that's probably due to the custom loop its running on(I prefer my servers silent when not in a data center).

I initially thought the issue was related to the MB and BIOS as Gigabyte had a beta BIOS for the unit up until the 10th. The memory has been tested with Memtest with no issues, and has had no issues running at the full 2666MHz with Fedora installed and Windows 10 installed, running in the same motherboard/CPU. The memory was also recently removed and reinstalled when I had to replace the failed pump in the unit.

2 minutes ago, H0riz0n said:

I did notice a small increase in power consumption, temperatures no, but that's probably due to the custom loop its running on(I prefer my servers silent when not in a data center).

I initially thought the issue was related to the MB and BIOS as Gigabyte had a beta BIOS for the unit up until the 10th. The memory has been tested with Memtest with no issues, and has had no issues running at the full 2666MHz with Fedora installed and Windows 10 installed, running in the same motherboard/CPU. The memory was also recently removed and reinstalled when I had to replace the failed pump in the unit.

That's really odd.  I guess it's just one more example of how unRAID doesn't work quite right on Ryzen.

13 hours ago, Pauven said:

Happy to help!  

Did you notice any increase in power consumption or temperatures with C-states disabled?

I've never been able to get my motherboard to boot above 2400, even when running 3600 memory, so I couldn't even get far enough to get a kernel panic.  

I just checked and it looks like you are running QVL'd memory, so I would expect the BIOS support to be good.  Have you run Memtest86?  You might have bad memory.  Sometimes re-installing the memory  into different slots can help too.

-Paul

Me too i have an Asus prime and gskill trident z 32gb 2 modules. No matter what i  cant post past 2400mhz with our without docp profile. Any clues why?

Hello everybody!

I have been also dreaming about making it possible to run 2 VMs on one machine.
I can now finally say, I was successful with Ryzen 7 + unRAID!

I am now able to run 2 or even 3 VMs with dedicated GPUs.

My setup:
Ryzen 7 1700 @stock (planning OC)
ASUS ROG Crosshair Hero VI
16 GB Corsair 3200 MHz DDR4
Samsung 960 EVO 250GB (cache)
Seagate Barracuda 3TB (planning to get one or two more)
Radeon HD5770, R5 230 (guests); Nvidia GTS 450 (host, guest also possible)
 - I am using these lowend GPUs which I had lying around, once all tested, I'm going to get pair of RX480/580.
Linux 4.9.19-unRAID x86_64
ACS Override Enabled (downstream,multifunction)
 - note that multifunction option was MANDATORY for my setup, otherwise the override was working only for top 2 PCI-Ex16 slots.

Syslinux config:

cat /boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg

default /syslinux/menu.c32
menu title Lime Technology, Inc.
prompt 0
timeout 50
label unRAID OS
  menu default
  kernel /bzimage
  append pcie_acs_override=downstream,multifunction vfio_iommu_type1.allow_unsafe_interrupts=1 initrd=/bzroot
label unRAID OS GUI Mode
  kernel /bzimage
  append pcie_acs_override=downstream initrd=/bzroot,/bzroot-gui
label unRAID OS Safe Mode (no plugins, no GUI)
  kernel /bzimage
  append pcie_acs_override=downstream initrd=/bzroot unraidsafemode
label unRAID OS GUI Safe Mode (no plugins)
  kernel /bzimage
  append initrd=/bzroot,/bzroot-gui unraidsafemode
label Memtest86+
  kernel /memtest

IOMMU Groups - these actually played out amazingly! I did not expect after lots of hate on the grouping, that it would separate so perfectly, see for yourself!

IOMMU group 0
	[1022:1452] 00:01.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 1452
IOMMU group 1
	[1022:1453] 00:01.1 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 1453
IOMMU group 2
	[1022:1453] 00:01.3 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 1453
IOMMU group 3
	[1022:1452] 00:02.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 1452
IOMMU group 4
	[1022:1452] 00:03.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 1452
IOMMU group 5
	[1022:1453] 00:03.1 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 1453
IOMMU group 6
	[1022:1453] 00:03.2 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 1453
IOMMU group 7
	[1022:1452] 00:04.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 1452
IOMMU group 8
	[1022:1452] 00:07.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 1452
IOMMU group 9
	[1022:1454] 00:07.1 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 1454
IOMMU group 10
	[1022:1452] 00:08.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 1452
IOMMU group 11
	[1022:1454] 00:08.1 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 1454
IOMMU group 12
	[1022:790b] 00:14.0 SMBus: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH SMBus Controller (rev 59)
	[1022:790e] 00:14.3 ISA bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH LPC Bridge (rev 51)
IOMMU group 13
	[1022:1460] 00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 1460
	[1022:1461] 00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 1461
	[1022:1462] 00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 1462
	[1022:1463] 00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 1463
	[1022:1464] 00:18.4 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 1464
	[1022:1465] 00:18.5 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 1465
	[1022:1466] 00:18.6 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 1466
	[1022:1467] 00:18.7 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 1467
IOMMU group 14
	[144d:a804] 01:00.0 Non-Volatile memory controller: Samsung Electronics Co Ltd NVMe SSD Controller SM961/PM961
IOMMU group 15
	[1022:43b9] 03:00.0 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 43b9 (rev 02)
IOMMU group 16
	[1022:43b5] 03:00.1 SATA controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 43b5 (rev 02)
IOMMU group 17
	[1022:43b0] 03:00.2 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 43b0 (rev 02)
IOMMU group 18
	[1022:43b4] 1d:00.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 43b4 (rev 02)
IOMMU group 19
	[1022:43b4] 1d:02.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 43b4 (rev 02)
IOMMU group 20
	[1022:43b4] 1d:03.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 43b4 (rev 02)
IOMMU group 21
	[1022:43b4] 1d:04.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 43b4 (rev 02)
IOMMU group 22
	[1b21:1343] 21:00.0 USB controller: ASMedia Technology Inc. Device 1343
IOMMU group 23
	[8086:1539] 23:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation I211 Gigabit Network Connection (rev 03)
IOMMU group 24
	[10de:0dc4] 25:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF106 [GeForce GTS 450] (rev a1)
IOMMU group 25
	[10de:0be9] 25:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation GF106 High Definition Audio Controller (rev a1)
IOMMU group 26
	[1002:677b] 26:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Caicos PRO [Radeon HD 7450]
IOMMU group 27
	[1002:aa98] 26:00.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Caicos HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 6450 / 7450/8450/8490 OEM / R5 230/235/235X OEM]
IOMMU group 28
	[1002:68b8] 27:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Juniper XT [Radeon HD 5770]
IOMMU group 29
	[1002:aa58] 27:00.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Juniper HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 5700 Series]
IOMMU group 30
	[1022:145a] 28:00.0 Non-Essential Instrumentation [1300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 145a
IOMMU group 31
	[1022:1456] 28:00.2 Encryption controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 1456
IOMMU group 32
	[1022:145c] 28:00.3 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 145c
IOMMU group 33
	[1022:1455] 29:00.0 Non-Essential Instrumentation [1300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 1455
IOMMU group 34
	[1022:7901] 29:00.2 SATA controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH SATA Controller [AHCI mode] (rev 51)
IOMMU group 35
	[1022:1457] 29:00.3 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 1457

VMs:

Windows 10
8 CPUs (0-7 and 8-15)
Machine i440fx-2.7
BIOS: OVMF
Hyper-V is OFF
Virtio drivers: virtio-win-0.1.126-2.iso
keyboard and mouse passed through
Audio from USB double jack adapter
 - I had to set sound quality to at least 48kHz, or there was crackling in the audio (no manufacturer driver available)
    or

Audio passed through from MB ([1022:1457] 29:00.3)

With this setup, I am running 2 GPUs with the Radeon cards passed through to VMs. I was, unfortunately, unable to passthrough the Nvidia card due to constant BSOD (System Thread Exception).
However, with newer Nvidia card, or another AMD GPU it is possible to run even 3 separate machines from this setup!
 - unRAID does not mind at all that I am actually taking a GPU from it and it assigns it to the VM correctly - it is even able to boot to the VM, the BSOD appears after installing Nvidia drivers.

Hope I'll help at least somebody trying to achieve the same I was able to.

Thank you Limetech! I tried to make this happen myself, but I gave up after many unsuccessful days of trying. Your solution worked right away! I'll be happy to buy the unRAID for my purposes :-).

Edited by Donach
vm os added
  • Upvote 2
16 minutes ago, Donach said:

Hello everybody!

I have been also dreaming about making it possible to run 2 VMs on one machine.
I can now finally say, I was successful with Ryzen 7 + unRAID!

I am now able to run 2 or even 3 VMs with dedicated GPUs.

Excellent news, and thanks for all the details!  My current setup is running, but I might want to try something similar someday.

16 minutes ago, Donach said:

Audio from USB double jack adapter
 - I had to set sound quality to at least 48kHz, or there was crackling in the audio
    or

Audio passed through from MB ([1022:1457] 29:00.3)

I don't think you mention what your VMs were running, but for my Windows 10 VM, the USB sound adapter also had extra noise in the audio.  It turns out the Windows 10 default driver was insufficient, but if I installed the manufacturer's driver then the sound is crystal clear!  If you have this option, give it a shot.

- Bill

7 hours ago, ufopinball said:

if I installed the manufacturer's driver then the sound is crystal clear!

What driver is that? Realtek HD audio?

7 hours ago, ufopinball said:

I had to set sound quality to at least 48kHz, or there was crackling in the audio

Huh, never tried that. Thanks for the tip.

48 minutes ago, coppit said:

What driver is that? Realtek HD audio?

Sorry, the USB audio device I bought was the "StarTech ICUSBAUDIOB USB Interface Black Audio Adapter":

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829128004

Then I found the drivers by searching for "StarTech ICUSBAUDIOB" and found this page:

https://www.startech.com/Cards-Adapters/Sound/USB-Audio/Audio-USB-Adapter~ICUSBAUDIOB

Clicked the "Support" tab and it's there on the right-hand side.

I'm not sure which device you have, but if you can find the manufacturer's driver, it may be superior to the default Windows driver.

- Bill

I'll have to try the manual driver install thing.  I found that I could pass through one of my mobos USB controllers directly and all but eliminate cracking and left it at that.  I'm using a Soundblaster Play 2 primarily, with GPU HDMI as a secondary option.  Still playing around a little with onboard, but not expecting much given how that's gone with recent Intel chipsets.

1 hour ago, Bureaucromancer said:

I'll have to try the manual driver install thing.  I found that I could pass through one of my mobos USB controllers directly and all but eliminate cracking and left it at that.  I'm using a Soundblaster Play 2 primarily, with GPU HDMI as a secondary option.  Still playing around a little with onboard, but not expecting much given how that's gone with recent Intel chipsets.

Understood, I think the HDMI sound on my GPU works fine, it's just that my main monitor (30" running at 2560x1600 using a DVI-D connection) doesn't have built-in speakers so I need an external 3.5" connection.  I haven't tried using the motherboard sound, it would actually be kinda neat if that works but as you said, it doesn't seem too promising and I've already got a working setup anyway.

- Bill

Edited by ufopinball

Im curious is it possible to use a pcie x1 gpu for unraid os. 

Allowing the first pcie x16 for vm?

Has this had any change from intel to ryzen boards in terms of groupings aswell.

Ive been holding off a bit on my convert for a while. 

Looking at putting my CH6 into the LL d8000 with 2nd psu to power 2nd rail of drives. Sorry for my lack of input here.

17 hours ago, Donach said:

With this setup, I am running 2 GPUs with the Radeon cards passed through to VMs. ...

unRAID does not mind at all that I am actually taking a GPU from it and it assigns it to the VM correctly ...

Hey! I plan to achieve pretty much the same build as you did with two Nvidia 1070/1080 GPUs. I was watching video from linus about 2 gaming rig 1 cpu but he was using third GPU for unRaid... You are saying that there is no need for third GPU for unRaid, that i´m able to run 2 VMs with only 2 GPUs even when the first GPU is used by unRaid, right? Just want to be sure before spending money on a third GPU for unRaid. :) 

5 hours ago, miro4994 said:

Hey! I plan to achieve pretty much the same build as you did with two Nvidia 1070/1080 GPUs. I was watching video from linus about 2 gaming rig 1 cpu but he was using third GPU for unRaid... You are saying that there is no need for third GPU for unRaid, that i´m able to run 2 VMs with only 2 GPUs even when the first GPU is used by unRaid, right? Just want to be sure before spending money on a third GPU for unRaid. :) 

In short, yes, you can run UnRaid without a GPU.  It probably wont boot without something, but that is as much a mobo/bios issue as UnRaid itself.  That GPU can pretty well always be passed through seperately, though there do seem to be some cards that have trouble (read as utterly refuse to) reinitialize themselves.  My GTX 970 is perfectly happy to be reassigned after booting the system (after some faffing about that with GPU bios thats always needed to do this with Nvidia cards) while my RX460 can only be passed through if it is NOT used for boot, which is apparently not normally the case for AMD gpus.  If you're looking at doing a pure gaming NAS kind of thing I'd probably advise having a $50ish dollar card on hand lest you need to dump your bios or something (should be doable even on B350 so long as you've got a 16x length slot), but long term you should be ok running without the GPU installed.

All of this brings us to my observation (that I've had kicking around as long as I've been doing anything with NAS') that it would really be incredible if mobo makers would let us boot from a USB video adapter - one of the few things they'd be truly perfect for is running something like the UnRaid terminal.

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking on unRaid and reading up as much as I can. I've been wanting a storage solution for a while and when I came across unraid I was pleasantly surprised with all the features. Was very hesitant at first about waiting for more Ryzen support or tackling head on. From everything that i've read, I decided to invest into AMD and help out Pauven with his stakes in it!

I purchased the MSI X370 GAMING PRO CARBON, mainly for the m.2 drives. Eventually i'll be going into that as my cache drives. Initially i'll only be having one data drive and one cache drive with gpu pass through for some gaming, then eventually expanding my storage.

Looking forward to troubleshooting with the community in making unraid a killer option for Ryzen. Once I have everything set up, i'll be more active within the community. 

For all those who have put in the hard work before myself and others jumping in, thanks!