unRaid GUI showing conflicting disk size information

Yes there's something very weird going on here for sure.

LT was made aware of this thread so I'd wait to see what they say, Tom may also need you to run some extra commands to find out what's really going on.

I believe whatever happened was before the first diags so and you'll possibly need to completely wipe and reformat one of those disks to fix it.

Just now, jbrodriguez said:

yea, I'm running btrfs on another rig and have run into that very issue before.  This is something much deeper and uglier :)

johnnie.black, do you think there's any issue with starting to start converting btrfs to xfs starting with disk 10 and moving data?  Disk 10 at the moment is empty.

Or should I just wait on LT before doing anything further?

Edited by ajeffco

Is there any possibility that one or more of these confused drives were part of a BTRFS pool before, either as a Cache pool in unRAID or a BTRFS pool outside of unRAID?  Tom has recently said something relevant to this, that seems to indicate that BTRFS has functionality that preserves the BTRFS-ness of a drive, which might include it's pool size.  If your 1TB drive is still thinking it's part of a 4TB pool ...

Which also may mean that to properly format a BTRFS drive to something else, you may need to take an extra step to un-BTRFS a drive before the format.  It could be as easy as just zeroing the early sectors, but I don't know where BTRFS stores its registration info.  Could be hidden in the MBR, or near it in the empty unused sectors at the beginning of the partition, or at the end of the drive, etc.

Just now, RobJ said:

Is there any possibility that one or more of these confused drives were part of a BTRFS pool before, either as a Cache pool in unRAID or a BTRFS pool outside of unRAID?  Tom has recently said something relevant to this, that seems to indicate that BTRFS has functionality that preserves the BTRFS-ness of a drive, which might include it's pool size.  If your 1TB drive is still thinking it's part of a 4TB pool ...

Which also may mean that to properly format a BTRFS drive to something else, you may need to take an extra step to un-BTRFS a drive before the format.  It could be as easy as just zeroing the early sectors, but I don't know where BTRFS stores its registration info.  Could be hidden in the MBR, or near it in the empty unused sectors at the beginning of the partition, or at the end of the drive, etc.

They were part of an Ubuntu system running BTRFS.  Before migrating to unRaid, I ran "wipefs -a /dev/..." on them.  And when they got to unRaid, I ran preclear on every drive before running through the drive replacement procedure.

Not sure if wipefs and preclear are enough to "clean" a disk.

The odd thing, the 1TB doesn't think it's part of a 4TB pool, it looks like it think's it's a 4TB drive in the GUI.  From the CLI, "btrfs fi" shows the device itself correctly.

Al

40 minutes ago, ajeffco said:

I'll wait for LT to chime in.

In reading the File System Conversion page on the wiki, it talks about parity rebuilds, which I'm assuming I don't want to do.  Not sure parity is even valid at this point.

Yes, better wait on that, but if disk10 is empty I see no problem formatting it to XFS, no need for a new config, but probably best to wait before starting to load more data.

Edited by johnnie.black
8 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

Also keep in mind they are on PST, so it's to soon to get a reply here, maybe in the next few hours.

Oh.  I'm not in any rush, just didn't know if there was a "formal" process for them to keep track of these types of issues.

I had a thought.  Assuming Drive 3 has been in a bad state since it was brought in does that mean any data written to the drive since then wasn't lost?  Or would it be gone regardless?  I used rsync to copy from Linux/BTRFS/SMB to unraid and rsync verified everything written.  That however would go to /mnt/user/wherever...

Just trying to figure out what I might've lost that might need to  be recovered.

I've completed the process of reformatting my drives to xfs.  When I emptied disk 2, as expected disk 3 emptied also.  Interestingly when I mounted the original 1TB disk to look at it also, it's showing empty as well instead of a 1TB drive with a 4TB size.

Not sure why out of 24 total drives moved from the Linux/BTRFS machine, these 3 whacked out.  Unfortunately since I didn't capture a syslog we'll never know.  Lesson learned.

Thanks again for the help.

Al