[Support] Djoss - CrashPlan

Support for CrashPlan docker container

Application Name: CrashPlan
Application Site: https://www.crashplan.com/
Docker Hub: https://hub.docker.com/r/jlesage/crashplan/
Github: https://github.com/jlesage/docker-crashplan

NOTE

CrashPlan Home (version running in this container) is being decommissioned:

Effective August 22, 2017, Code42 will no longer offer new – or renew – CrashPlan for Home subscriptions, and we will begin to sunset the product over several months. CrashPlan for Home will no longer be available for use starting October 23, 2018.

Users are offered to migrate to CrashPlan PRO (aka CrashPlan for Small Business) or Carbonite.  Read the entire announcement and FAQ over at the CrashPlan for Home site.  Also look at the support site.

If you choose to migrate to CrashPan PRO, you can do it easily by installing my CrashPlan PRO docker container.  Make sure to look at the support thread for more details.

Unlike other containers, this one is based on Alpine Linux, meaning that its size is very small (at least 50% smaller).  It also has a very nice, mobile-friendly web UI to access CrashPlan's graphical interface, no misleading errors in log and is actively supported!

Make sure to look at the complete documentation, available on Github !

Post any questions or issues relating to this docker in this thread.

Warning! Make sure to read the Taking Over Existing Backup section from the documentation if you are installing this container to replace another CrashPlan installation (from Windows, Linux, Mac or even another Docker container).

Edited by Djoss
  • Upvote 4

Wow, a new CrashPlan docker!

We might as well get this question out of the way... I'm looking for ways to avoid the adoption process and wondering why I can't point this container at my existing config directory for the gfjardim container? I would need to rename /config/id to /config/var, and pass in my old paths instead of /storage and /backupArchives. In theory, it should work, right? Are there other structure changes to the /config directory that need to be dealt with?

Edited by ljm42

I didn't try myself, but yes it would work in theory.

However, I think that for most people, the adoption process is much easier.  And as a bonus, the container is also easier to configure/re-install when your template is almost identical to the default one.

Annoyed with myself, I failed to rename id -> var before starting the container. Didn't realize it soon enough so went through the adoption process. Am now "Synchronizing block information", which looks like it will take a few hours. So unfortunately I don't know whether there is a benefit to pointing it at the old config folder or not.

On the plus side, VNC in this container works great! No crashes, and I'm not getting the "line 20: 22598 Killed $JAVACOMMON ..." errors we were seeing with the other container.

Went through the adoption process and the backup is now running. Difficult to tell if the deduplication is actually working, although my firewall stats says 12GB uploaded over the last 12 hours and Crashplan says 115GB completed - so I guess it is.

Very happy to see a new Crashplan docker :)

There is a global setting for the inbound backup location, but it can also be set for each user.  This one needs to be adjusted after the adoption process, as it still points to your old location.

Did you clicked on the user/friend for which the 'backup location inaccessible' message appear?  This is how you can fix the inbound path.

I just installed the docker to my UNRaid server. I am not backing up any PCs at least not yet. But what I really want to do is start a backup of my Unraid server. The Backup server is currently running WHS 2011.. since the Emby Docker isn't quite so far along. But I can't wade over to it on "Backup Destination" I only move through the source server (the one this docker is installed on.) 

If I understand correctly, you want your CrashPlan instance running on your unRAID server to backup to your CrashPlan instance on your WHS 2011.

In Destinations -> Computers, do you see your WHS 2001 server in the list of computers?  Is it marked with a green dot?

Hi, I am actually backing up shared data of a large variety from tax forms to ISOs of purchased movies to purchased software like PowerDVD .... 

I am baffled by the whole interface. It looks like it should be simple, but perhaps I am just new to UnRaid...

anyway, under the docker config settings, I have

Backup Source:  
unRAID Share Path
Backup Destination:  
In this path, CrashPlan will store the backup files

^^^^^ I can't get other computers to show here only the UNRaid server.

In the WebGui for Crashplan, I get similar results but the language is confusing and conflicting at least to me. It says "How to back up to your other computer" install crashplan on another computer using your account .. after installing Crashplan it's added to the list but the list I see has a Destinations tab so it feels like it's going the wrong way (WHS 2011-> Unraid) which would wipe out my Unraid server with a big empty nothing.

So maybe folder is what I want, except I get a similar box - it does more clearly say "backup destination folder select" and I can't get to the WHS2011 server. Do I really need to install Crashplan on the other server to go that way? I can't find my shares either with that available folders box :(

If CrashPlan is installed on both your unRAID and Windows servers, then your Windows server can be a backup destination for unRAID.  From CrashPlan on unRAID, select the Destinations tab on the left and then the Computers tab on the top.  You should see in the list your Windows server.  Select it and click the Start Backup button.

If you don't want to install CrashPlan on your Windows server, then I think the following way should work (never tried).

• First, install the Unassigned Devices plugin.
  • With this plugin, you will be able to mount your Windows share on unRAID.
  • Edit the CrashPlan docker container settings and click the Add another Path, Port or Variable link.
  • Add a new path, where the host path will be your mounted share (should be under /mnt/ I guess).  The container path can be anything (e.g. /win_share).
  • After applying the settings, access the CrashPlan GUI.  Select the /win_share folder (or one on its subfolders) as the backup destination.

NOTE: There are 2 CrashPlan dockers available in the Community Applications. It seems that you did not installed mine, but the one from gfjardim.

I've uploaded quite a number of files already via this docker. To test it I deleted my custom archive encryption .txt off the server.  When importing the key again it gives me the warnings about deletion of existing files  - not being able to downgrade security etc..

Q: Are my existing uploaded files going to be ok with the re-import of the existing key?

Thanks

Edited by shimlapinks
4 hours ago, shimlapinks said:

I've uploaded quite a number of files already via this docker. To test it I deleted my custom archive encryption .txt off the server.  When importing the key again it gives me the warnings about deletion of existing files  - not being able to downgrade security etc..

Q: Are my existing uploaded files going to be ok with the re-import of the existing key?

Thanks

No sure to understand your question.  Are you deleting a file locally (from the unRAID server) and then try to restore it from your backup?

49 minutes ago, Djoss said:

No sure to understand your question.  Are you deleting a file locally (from the unRAID server) and then try to restore it from your backup?

Hi,

To test a critical failure of my system, I have removed and reinstalled your docker.  Now to continue my uploading files to the cloud, I will have to repoint your docker (security tab) custom encryption, to my txt file which is on my unraid server and which contains the custom security key (as you cant seem to paste in your own key - only import a file)

It is at the point of importing the key/.txt file that is gives me the warnings about deletion of existing files etc...

I assume that this does not mean it will delete my existing cloud files (which used the same encryption key) because I am importing the same key again?

Thanks for the docker!

Installed the docker using the default ports and basically all I changed was the location of Archives. Now when I start it I get a "Can't connect to Backup Engine" and it seems to freeze up some when I attempt to change settings. I'm sure its something simple, but for the life of me I'm a bit confused. 

Actually what it appears to be doing when I click save "Please Wait" Then it appears to save the change, but when I click on another menu I get a popup that says. "Save or Cancel?" I checked my Crashplan/conf folder and its set to nobody users just like the majority of my Docker Containers. 

When I install the Container I see all the files and they all landed in /mnt/cache/system/appdata/Crashplan

When I intially login to Crash plan I noticed there was no adb folder and after I do it creates it, but after I attempt to change settings I don't see any changes to any of the files via timestamp date. 

and currently I only want to backup items that are on my local LAN. Nothing remotely. 

Hi,

The container is running nicely - very stable over the last week or so.

Question: Should it self-update to the latest clients, or do you need to push a container update for that to happen? I have a grey message 'CrashPlan Upgrade Failed' at the top of the Backup screen, with the Crashplan log saying 'Download of upgrade failed - version 1436674800483, connection lost.'

Could very well be a networking/firewall issue on my side but thought I'd check.

Thanks,

James

10 hours ago, stormshaker said:

Hi,

The container is running nicely - very stable over the last week or so.

Question: Should it self-update to the latest clients, or do you need to push a container update for that to happen? I have a grey message 'CrashPlan Upgrade Failed' at the top of the Backup screen, with the Crashplan log saying 'Download of upgrade failed - version 1436674800483, connection lost.'

Could very well be a networking/firewall issue on my side but thought I'd check.

Thanks,

James

Thanks for letting me know!  Currently, CrashPlan can't update itself, because the update script is doing too much stuff that is not compatible with a container environment.

You can now update your container to get the latest version :)