[Support] Djoss - CrashPlan PRO (aka CrashPlan for Small Business)

Support for CrashPlan PRO (aka CrashPlan for Small Business) docker container

Application Name: CrashPlan PRO (aka CrashPlan for Small Business)
Application Sitehttps://www.crashplan.com/en-us/business/
Docker Hubhttps://hub.docker.com/r/jlesage/crashplan-pro/
Githubhttps://github.com/jlesage/docker-crashplan-pro

NOTE

If you want to migrate from CrashPlan for Home and are using my CrashPlan container, follow these steps for a smooth transition:

• Make sure you have migrated your CrashPlan account.
  • Stop the CrashPlan (Home version) container.
  • Login to your unRAID server and copy the app data (the goal being that the new docker re-use the same data):
cp -a /mnt/user/appdata/CrashPlan /mnt/user/appdata/CrashPlanPRO
  • Finally, install this container using the Community Applications plugin.

After these steps, everything should work like before.  Once you are happy with the transition, you can remove the old CrashPlan container and its appdata folder.

NOTE: If you are using another container, you can still migrate using this container.  See the dedicated section in the documentation for details.

This container is based on Alpine Linux, meaning that its size is very small.  It also has a very nice, mobile-friendly web UI to access CrashPlan PRO's graphical interface and is actively supported!

Make sure to look at the complete documentation, available on Github !

Post any questions or issues relating to this docker in this thread.

Warning! Make sure to read the Taking Over Existing Backup section from the documentation if you are installing this container to replace another CrashPlan installation (from Windows, Linux, Mac or even another Docker container).

Edited by Djoss
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

If I'm currently on Crashplan Home using gfjardim's container, and I want to upgrade to Pro...

- Should I do the Home->Pro upgrade first, or switch containers first?

- For switching containers, is it possible to reuse the appdata config, without going through the "adopt backup" ?

- (Scared of doing something wrong with the "adoption", and having to start over uploading TB's...)

First thing to do is to migrate your account.  Then you take care of the container.

Since you are using the gfjardim's container, re-using the appdata is more complicated, since its content and the way stuff is saved is not exactly the same.

However, @ljm42 tried to switch from gfjardim's container to my CrashPlan (for Home) container:

I think he missed something and ended-up doing the adoption process.  But the steps he described should be the same.

I myself initially converted from gfjardim's container and I found the adoption process really easy to perform.

Finally, note that the gfjardim's container upgrade itself to the PRO version.  So a short term solution is to keep this container.  You can always do the switch later...

29 minutes ago, Squid said:

With this now being available, I'm going to deprecate the already existing CrashPlan applications (both of them), with a note that existing installations will cease to work October 2018 and suggest to migrate to Pro or find a different solution

That's perfect for me.

> Since you are using the gfjardim's container, re-using the appdata is more complicated, since its content and the way stuff is saved is not exactly the same.

Okay, home->pro working perfect with gfjardim's.  Now trying to switch to this alpiney-pro one, not having much luck.

- Switched `/Storage` for `/data` to match my existing path to `/mnt/user`

- Copied the old `/appdata/crashplan` to `appdata/crashplan-pro`, renamed the `id` dir there to `var`

- No luck - it wants me to sign in (and sign-in fails)

Any other files/settings that need to be remapped to reuse the old appdata? 

49 minutes ago, Djoss said:

What's the content of your appdata?

https://gist.github.com/JustinAiken/586dc6f5f8844420efdab6b6805b0810

That's the old one.. when I cloned it over, I renamed `id` to `var`.  I also tried clearing out the cache/log dirs.

Also, with the 99/100 user/group mask in your Docker, what perms should the appdata be? nobody/users + 777 like the unraid default `newperms`, or something else?

Compared to mine and it doesn't seem to have other things to change...

I think that permissions should not cause problems, but ownership could: make sure that all files are owned by nobody/users:

chmod -R nobody:users /mnt/user/appdate/CrashPlanPRO

If there it's still not working after that, I would look at log files to find any hints...

Oh, that's a let down, any recommendations for someone wanting a nice, gui driven backup tool compatible with unraid?

And I assume it is now too late to install the home version for current and future use, without the intent of using cloud services?

Edited by cybrnook

Okay, was successfully able to migrate from the other container without adoption!

cd /mnt/cache/appdata
cp -r CrashPlan/ crashplan-pro
chown -R nobody:users /mnt/user/appdata/crashplan-pro/
cd crashplan-pro/
mv id/ var/
rm -r cache
rm -r bin
rm -r log

All docker template values are default, except for:

- config -> /mnt/user/appdata/crashplan-pro
- data -> /mnt/user (To match old container)

Thank you for providing this docker so quickly. I followed the instructions you provided to migrate my account to Pro. I migrated via CrashPlan's website. Made sure my backups were up to date and stopped the gfjardim docker. I installed your docker and added another path variable to bring in my unassigned device for local backups, I realize now I could have just changed how I mapped storage as you will see in my screenshot. After logging in to CrashPlan Pro I followed the migration steps and both backup sets went through a pretty time consuming synchronization process. I have two back up sets one with the destination set to an external hard drive and another to CrashPlan Central. This way I can pick and choose which shares to only back up locally and which to also send to the cloud. It seems as though after updating the path and starting the backup it is backing up everything all over. I'm holding off on changing my Central backup until I know for sure. I have been watching the used space on that drive via the Unassigned Devices plugin, and it does not seem to be changing, but only time will tell. Is this the de-duping process or is it just looking to make sure that everything that is in the source also in the backup destination? Cheers!

Capture.PNG

The new CrashplanPRO docker was working fine however halfway through the de-dupe process it is constantly crashing on one particular file/folder it seems.  Crashplan keeps restarting.  Eventually it says it cannot connect to the backup service.  I verified my account and connectivity are ok.  Any idea what could be wrong?

52 minutes ago, Ned said:

The new CrashplanPRO docker was working fine however halfway through the de-dupe process it is constantly crashing on one particular file/folder it seems.  Crashplan keeps restarting.  Eventually it says it cannot connect to the backup service.  I verified my account and connectivity are ok.  Any idea what could be wrong?

I think I figured it out.  I needed to allocate more memory to the crashplan app.

22 hours ago, allanp81 said:

I've tried using this docker after migrating my account and for some reason it won't let me login. The username and password work fine via their webpage.

Do you copy-paste your password?  Which webpage URL are you using?

12 hours ago, geonerdist said:

It seems as though after updating the path and starting the backup it is backing up everything all over. I'm holding off on changing my Central backup until I know for sure. I have been watching the used space on that drive via the Unassigned Devices plugin, and it does not seem to be changing, but only time will tell. Is this the de-duping process or is it just looking to make sure that everything that is in the source also in the backup destination?

Not sure about the de-duplication for local destinations, but for the cloud destination it should definitely work, unless you disabled it manually by editing configuration file...  There are a couple of users here that successfully migrated their account and performed the adoption process.

• Upvote 1
On 8/26/2017 at 9:59 PM, geonerdist said:

Thank you for providing this docker so quickly. I followed the instructions you provided to migrate my account to Pro. I migrated via CrashPlan's website. Made sure my backups were up to date and stopped the gfjardim docker. I installed your docker and added another path variable to bring in my unassigned device for local backups, I realize now I could have just changed how I mapped storage as you will see in my screenshot. After logging in to CrashPlan Pro I followed the migration steps and both backup sets went through a pretty time consuming synchronization process. I have two back up sets one with the destination set to an external hard drive and another to CrashPlan Central. This way I can pick and choose which shares to only back up locally and which to also send to the cloud. It seems as though after updating the path and starting the backup it is backing up everything all over. I'm holding off on changing my Central backup until I know for sure. I have been watching the used space on that drive via the Unassigned Devices plugin, and it does not seem to be changing, but only time will tell. Is this the de-duping process or is it just looking to make sure that everything that is in the source also in the backup destination? Cheers!

Wanted to let you all know of my results. It did not back up everything again. The used space on my USB HD is still the same. The backup to the cloud completed at some point today. I updated my paths either last night or this morning (I can't remember for sure) and it is done...so it did not attempt to re-upload 1.2TB. Great work on this, much appreciated!

EDIT: @Djoss, completely missed your comment when I posted this. Thanks for the reply. It all worked wonderfully. Just kind of caught me off guard when it looked like it was backing up everything again. I have only been using crashplan for a few months now. Anyways thanks a ton. 

Edited by geonerdist