Fujitsu D2607-8i - Crossflash to LSI 9211-8i

Hello,

I followed the instructions from page 1 and got my Fujitsu D2607-8i card flashed to v20. Flashing went fine, but since I have flashed the card, no drives are recognized. The weird thing is: my mainboard has a SAS-connection too and my two plugged 2,5 drives are recognized. But if I plug the cable to the Fujitsu card (no matter which port), no drive is recognized. I use this cable https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B001HC4NDA and the the two SAS-connections of the Fujitsu TS140S2 workstation (build in cage).

When I open the BIOS menu with ctrl + c, I see one adapter (SAS9211-8i) and FW revision 20.00.07.00-IT with status enabled.

In the submenu I have enabled BIOS & OS. When I want to look at the SAS topology, I see nothing, so no enclosure.

Since I don't have a second mainboard, I'm pretty clueless. My first guess where the cables, but this would be pretty strange, since the cage of the case doesn't work with the card too. Before flashing to IT mode (with the old Fujitsu firmware) the drives where recognized. I need IT mode for TrueNAS, so there is no plan B for me.

11 minutes ago, Whitesnake said:

Hello,

I followed the instructions from page 1 and got my Fujitsu D2607-8i card flashed to v20. Flashing went fine, but since I have flashed the card, no drives are recognized. The weird thing is: my mainboard has a SAS-connection too and my two plugged 2,5 drives are recognized. But if I plug the cable to the Fujitsu card (no matter which port), no drive is recognized. I use this cable https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B001HC4NDA and the the two SAS-connections of the Fujitsu TS140S2 workstation (build in cage).

When I open the BIOS menu with ctrl + c, I see one adapter (SAS9211-8i) and FW revision 20.00.07.00-IT with status enabled.

In the submenu I have enabled BIOS & OS. When I want to look at the SAS topology, I see nothing, so no enclosure.

Since I don't have a second mainboard, I'm pretty clueless. My first guess where the cables, but this would be pretty strange, since the cage of the case doesn't work with the card too. Before flashing to IT mode (with the old Fujitsu firmware) the drives where recognized. I need IT mode for TrueNAS, so there is no plan B for me.

Did you flash a different SBR?

ALSO DO NOT override the backed up SBR in step 2, we may need this. You do not need to run this step again, just the once.

2.BAT

or

megarec -readsbr 0 O-SBR.bin

7 minutes ago, Whitesnake said:

I don't have my initial SBR, since I setup the USB drive with a fresh install of FreeDOS.

How do I flash a different SBR? I just made the steps from page 1.

Is your card D2607-8i A11 or D2607-8i A21? This will be written on the card PCB

Go to my post on the first page, put the files on the USB, you only need to go run the command on the "Reboot the USB in non UEFI mode. (DOS)" section. And run the 4-21.BAT command, either 4-21.bat or 4-11.bat. One of those should work, has done for every card I've flashed. It needs to be the right one to get the SAS ports working. LsHallo had to make a new SBR, but if it goes that far we'll try that if needs be.

I now tried something different: I plugged my boot SSD to the HBA and *drumroll* it works. 

Then I though, okay maybe some of the SATA ports will do something weird. But they didn't: it doesn't depend on where I plug the SSD to (SAS string 1 or SAS string 2), it is always shown and my systems also can boot from it.

This leaves me head-scratching. The harddrives aren't these fancy shucked WDs, but old Hitachis from passed away laptops:

.) HDD 1: HTS721010G9SA00 (SATA/150, 7200 rpm, 100 GB) - doesn't work

.) HDD 2: HTS542516K9SA00 (SATA/150, 5400 rpm, 160 GB) - doesn't work

.) SDD 1: CT525MX300SSD1 (SATA/600, 525 GB) - works

I did a quick research, seems that SATA/150 drives aren't supported.

IMG_0948.jpg

At the moment I am trying to downgrade to P16, but before I start, I checked the steps and I think I will have here a problem:

sas2hax -o -f 2118it.bin -b mptsas2.rom

I do have the P16-version of 2118it.bin, but I don't have the P16-version of mptsas2.rom

At the moment, the card has a running P20 on it, but I want to try if the SATA-150 drives work with P16.

Just flashed me card.

It seemed to go correctly and now i have all the drives in unraid.

I started moving files around in the array and after a few minutes all drives gave CRC Errors and the card seemed to drop out.

I turned of the system and tried to position a case fan near the card (a bigger card made that only slightly useful) but it still dropped out after reboot.

Does anyone have any insight?

I've only ever used the chipset before so I've got no idea what to expect.

No idea. I just used what was on the in the guide so I'm guessing you could be right.

Dam it, the card is behind a vertical gpu and surrounded by a hard line water loop. That's a lot more work.

Ok cool.

Where might i find an update please?

Though the guide was updated in June 2020.

Do you mean versions before p20? Or is there sub versions of p20?

I'm confused.

Edited by mdrodge

Wow thanks for the quick response guys.

I have 2 brake out cables 4 sata on each.

I don't know anything about sas but they seem like normal sata at the drive end.

It's plugged in fine and seated nicely.

It won't drop out until i try and transfer files so i think it's still alive.

(I was attempting to move files from my old array witch is 3 drives on the chip set to 7 smaller drives on the hba.)

Also with the hba i loose drive temperature readings even for drives connected to the chipset.

I have removed the drives from the hba but the hba is still in the slot and the chipset is displaying drive temperature again.

(I'm just waiting for a large transfer to finish then I'll get back to working on it)

((For the dos part of the flash i had it in slot 3 but i had to give up and move it to slot 1 for the efi part so maybe i can just reflash in slot 1))

For anyone wondering. I had 7x 5400rpm wd red's attached.

Edited by mdrodge