unRAID with wireless card

Hello everybody,

First I want to say that I have watched a lot of videos in youtube on how to set my unRAID server and also read a lot of documentation but the only thing that I found is how to set unRAID to pass-through my wi-fi crad to my VM, but I want it to be used by unRAID itself so is there a way to do this? The problem is that I live in a small apartment and I don't like having cables hanging around. Also I have searched the forum and only found alternative solutions like using network adapters for the wall power sockets, but I still would prefer to use wi-fi. The model of the wi-fi card is Tp-Link archer T9E http://www.tp-link.com/us/products/details/cat-5519_Archer-T9E.html if needed.

Any tips and tricks will be highly appreciated! Thank you!

P.S.: I am a new user ... have not installed unRAID yet ... looking forward to do it in the next few days.

Edited by GermanGramatikov

Put your server in the corner where your internet connection comes in. Put the cable/ADSL/Fios/whatever modem on top of it. Run a cable from the modem to your WiFi router, run a cable from the router down a few inches to the server's Ethernet port. Connect everything else via WiFi.

Any type of network server/appliance will appreciate having a hard-wired connection.

Wow what a great community so many replies in a day!

So I can see most of you have replied to connect directly - believe me if I could move my desk next to my router I would have done it so far but it is just impossible due to the layout of the apartment, and I can't move my router as I will need to extend the LAN cable that is the "uplink" so I will still have a cable running through the apartment. 

But Zonediver gave me the best idea - I will just buy an AP and use it as media converter from Wireless to LAN and I think this will solve my issue :)

Thank you all for you ideas!

• Like 1