(Solved) Unexpected directory found in /mnt/user

I ran Fix Common Problems, and it shows the list of directories to exclude. One of them was a directory called ".Trash-99" which was quite unexpected.

root@NAS:/mnt/user# ls -la
total 200
drwxrwxrwx  1 nobody users    42 Jul  9 10:17 ./
drwxr-xr-x 18 root   root    360 May 27 10:26 ../
drwx------  1 nobody users    31 Jun  4 15:45 .Trash-99/
drwxrwxrwx  1 nobody users   248 Jul  3 01:10 Audio/

I have no idea where this directory came from or why it's there. My daughter has a Mac and I know that it leaves ".Trashes" droppings everywhere, but I've never seen a ".Trash-99" directory left by it.

I checked the directory for contents and it has:

root@NAS:/mnt/user/.Trash-99# ls -la
total 16
drwx------ 1 nobody users 31 Jun  4 15:45 ./
drwxrwxrwx 1 nobody users 42 Jul  9 10:17 ../
drwx------ 1 nobody users 10 Jun  4 15:45 files/
drwx------ 1 nobody users 10 Jun  4 15:45 info/

and there are no files or directories under either of those two sub directories. Does anyone have any idea where this directory may have come from?

I'm kicking off virus scans on all the Win & Mac machines that connect to it, just to be on the safe side (stupid AVG cancels the scheduled scans every time it updates itself, it seems).

Edited by FreeMan

Hmmm... I do have a couple with mappings to /mnt/user, but I've never noticed this directory before. Binhex-Libresonic & gfjardim's CrashPlan both have a mapping to /mnt/user.

If it's a system generated directory being created by one or the other, I should safely be able to delete it, and the docker would recreate it if it's needed, right? Since I didn't create it in the first place, whatever docker (if that's where it came from) that created it should recreate it...

I'll go ask on those two support threads if this is a newish thing for either of them. It was created (or updated) on Jun 4th 2017, I'll look to see if there was an update for either on that date.

3 hours ago, dlandon said:

The .Trash-99 appears to be a Linux? generated trash bin.  I found on the Internet where Ubuntu will generate this as a trash folder.  Not sure if it applies to other Linux implementations.  Maybe a Docker with a mapping to /mnt/user/?

I've had this on some of my shares in the past (never in /mnt/user though).  Always figured that it was via Recycle Bin that I checked out once, decided it wasn't for me and removed it...  But it is an excellent plugin  B|

Second thought:  Created by Dolphin / Krusader?  Both IIRC don't actually delete anything when you tell them to, but rather toss it into their own recycle bin...

2 minutes ago, Squid said:

I've had this on some of my shares in the past (never in /mnt/user though).  Always figured that it was via Recycle Bin that I checked out once, decided it wasn't for me and removed it...  But it is an excellent plugin  B|

Second thought:  Created by Dolphin / Krusader?  Both IIRC don't actually delete anything when you tell them to, but rather toss it into their own recycle bin...

The only recycle bin folders ever created by the recycle bin plug are '.recycle' that I think is the default samba recycle bin or the one I create - '.Recycle.Bin'.  The '.recycle' folder should never show up, but I have seen it when the plugin has issues.

I do have Dolphin installed, but haven't used it in many months. I've never installed the Recycle Bin plugin.

I've posted on both the Libresonic & CrashPlan threads with links back to here so if it's somehow related to one of those two, maybe someone will pipe up.

Thanks for the input and I'm open to hearing anything else anyone has to say!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...