Regular out of memory problems

May 7 11:34:13 HunterNAS cache_dirs: ---------- Caching Directories ---------------
May 7 11:34:13 HunterNAS cache_dirs: Dropbox
May 7 11:34:13 HunterNAS cache_dirs: FTP
May 7 11:34:13 HunterNAS cache_dirs: My Backups
May 7 11:34:13 HunterNAS cache_dirs: Pydio
May 7 11:34:13 HunterNAS cache_dirs: RawVideoFiles
May 7 11:34:13 HunterNAS cache_dirs: appdata
May 7 11:34:13 HunterNAS cache_dirs: archives
May 7 11:34:13 HunterNAS cache_dirs: cachebackup
May 7 11:34:13 HunterNAS cache_dirs: home movies
May 7 11:34:13 HunterNAS cache_dirs: jwhbackup
May 7 11:34:13 HunterNAS cache_dirs: movies
May 7 11:34:13 HunterNAS cache_dirs: music
May 7 11:34:13 HunterNAS cache_dirs: pictures
May 7 11:34:13 HunterNAS cache_dirs: tv
May 7 11:34:13 HunterNAS cache_dirs: web
May 7 11:34:13 HunterNAS cache_dirs: ----------------------------------------------

I can't help thinking several of these are unnecessary and wasting memory.

18 minutes ago, John_M said:

May 7 11:34:13 HunterNAS cache_dirs: ---------- Caching Directories ---------------
May 7 11:34:13 HunterNAS cache_dirs: Dropbox
May 7 11:34:13 HunterNAS cache_dirs: FTP
May 7 11:34:13 HunterNAS cache_dirs: My Backups
May 7 11:34:13 HunterNAS cache_dirs: Pydio
May 7 11:34:13 HunterNAS cache_dirs: RawVideoFiles
May 7 11:34:13 HunterNAS cache_dirs: appdata
May 7 11:34:13 HunterNAS cache_dirs: archives
May 7 11:34:13 HunterNAS cache_dirs: cachebackup
May 7 11:34:13 HunterNAS cache_dirs: home movies
May 7 11:34:13 HunterNAS cache_dirs: jwhbackup
May 7 11:34:13 HunterNAS cache_dirs: movies
May 7 11:34:13 HunterNAS cache_dirs: music
May 7 11:34:13 HunterNAS cache_dirs: pictures
May 7 11:34:13 HunterNAS cache_dirs: tv
May 7 11:34:13 HunterNAS cache_dirs: web
May 7 11:34:13 HunterNAS cache_dirs: ----------------------------------------------

I can't help thinking several of these are unnecessary and wasting memory.

Are you saying that I should use less shares?  each of these are for a specific set of files.  Is there a way to calculate how much memory a share takes?

24 minutes ago, jeffreywhunter said:

Are you saying that I should use less shares?  each of these are for a specific set of files.  Is there a way to calculate how much memory a share takes?

You don't have to include them all in cache-dirs. Do you really often browse all of these and need to be able to see their files listed quickly without spinning up the disk they're on? Have you read the help for cache-dirs (Folder Caching plugin)?

1 hour ago, Frank1940 said:

You have too many options on the menu bar.  No matter, you can get the 'Help' for each entry by hovering over the each item (like "Folder caching function"  until the cursor changes to a '?' mark and left-clicking the mouse.  

Ah, the browser was not wide enough.  Found the help.  I read through all the help, didn't see anything earth shattering.  I did however, 'turn off' about half of the shares (kept, TV, Movies, Pictures, etc).  We'll see if any of the backup process choke on the directories without a cache.

Is there a way to measure how much memory it takes?  I could always put more memory in the system.  Could double it if I had to...

9 hours ago, jeffreywhunter said:

I could always put more memory in the system. 

Nobody else has these problems and many have much less memory than you already have.

I think this below is the most likely cause of your problems. You have something using an incorrect path and it is filling up memory.

14 hours ago, trurl said:

Not sure if you know this now but apparently you didn't at one time based on some other posts you had on another thread.

Rootfs isn't the flash drive. The flash drive is /boot. Rootfs is RAM. Your FTP issue from that log tail you posted makes me wonder if you aren't filling up RAM with something using an incorrect path somewhere.

You shouldn't be using any path that isn't in /mnt/user (or possibly /mnt/disk#, /mnt/cache, or /boot if you know why you're doing it). And depending on how you have your FTP server and clients setup, they might be mapping things in some way you don't understand if you don't understand mapping.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, trurl said:

Nobody else has these problems and many have much less memory than you already have.

I think this below is the most likely cause of your problems. You have something using an incorrect path and it is filling up memory.

You shouldn't be using any path that isn't in /mnt/user (or possibly /mnt/disk#, /mnt/cache, or /boot if you know why you're doing it). And depending on how you have your FTP server and clients setup, they might be mapping things in some way you don't understand if you don't understand mapping.

I'm pretty sure you are right.  The I turned on the transferlog using a path "TransferLog /mnt/user/My Backups/proftpxferlog - which is incorrect, I'm missing the \ - should be TransferLog /mnt/user/My\ Backups/proftpxferlog.  Change made, no crashes yet.  Fingers crossed.