BTRFS

Spies

Last month RedHat also took a step back from btrfs

Btrfs has been deprecated

The Btrfs file system has been in Technology Preview state since the initial release of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6. Red Hat will not be moving Btrfs to a fully supported feature and it will be removed in a future major release of Red Hat Enterprise Linux.
The Btrfs file system did receive numerous updates from the upstream in Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.4 and will remain available in the Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 series. However, this is the last planned update to this feature.

From the 7.4 release notes.

From what I see in the forum most pool issues happen when there's a connection/cable problem in one of the devices, when a pool device drops offline and than reconnects, e.g., after a reboot, it can make the pool out of sync and create dual profiles leading to further issues (this is a btrfs problem and it should improve in the future, it would also help if unRAID reported theses errors, I believe this is a planned improvement also), but the point is, it mostly happens because of hardware issues and users not noticing there's a problem and continuing to use it until it faceplants, I have almost 300TB on btrfs and never had a single issue.

Edited by johnnie.black
2 minutes ago, HellDiverUK said:

It's the RAID that's not working quite right in btrfs.

That is correct, single volumes work very well, raid1/10 is mostly OK, but they can have issues when a disk drops/reconnects like I mentioned above, raid5/6 is still very buggy and should only be used for testing.

Edited by johnnie.black
3 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

That is correct, single volumes work very well, raid1/10 is mostly OK, but they can have issues when a disk drops/reconnects like I mentioned above, raid5/6 is still very buggy and should only be used for testing.

I had serious slowdowns with a single BTRFS cache drive.  I re-formatted in it XFS and I havent had a problem since.

Just now, StevenD said:

I had serious slowdowns with a single BTRFS cache drive.  I re-formatted in it XFS and I havent had a problem since.

Some users appear to have that issue, most are not affected, and some have the same problem with xfs, still not convinced it's a btrfs only problem.

2 minutes ago, StevenD said:

I though btrfs was required for cache due to Docker?  Or has that changed?

Can't say I've seen this issue, and I've been running btrfs cache since the first betas that allowed it. 

9 minutes ago, HellDiverUK said:

though btrfs was required for cache due to Docker?  Or has that changed?

Can't say I've seen this issue, and I've been running btrfs cache since the first betas that allowed it

That was only true for a short time in one of the early b6 betas.     Now you can use any file system to host the docker.img file (although that file DOES use BTRFS format internally).

The only time you MUST use BTRFS for the cache is when you want a cache pool (i.e. multiple disks in the cache)

13 hours ago, Spies said:

My cache (spinner) drive has VM images on it and I run XFS due to something I read about BTRFS not playing nice with high i/o (reading that somewhere - which I can't recall).

VM images tend to fragment a lot on btrfs because of COW, it's not a problem for SSDs but it is for spinners, you can still use btrfs with COW disable, but you also loose its main benefits, like checksums and snapshots, probably better to just use xfs in those situations.

Correction: snapshots can still be used though it's unclear to me how fragmentation will be impacted if they are used for VM images even with nodatacow.

Edited by johnnie.black

On the Share Settings page (when you create a new share), there is this setting:

Enable Copy-on-write: Yes|No|Auto

If you set this to 'No' then if that share is created on a btrfs volume, the top-level share directory will be created with the NOCOW bit set (to disable COW).  The system-defined 'domains' share is created with this setting set to No.  This means COW is disabled for vdisk.img files created in the 'domains' share (and in fact all files in that share will have COW turned off).  The implication is VM performance remains very good, but no more data checksumming for those files.

• 1 year later...

Sorry to jump in on an old thread but I was searching synology and btrfs and this thread was at the top of the results list.

I'm migrating from synology to unraid.  My unraid array is currently using xfs.  I just copied a synology directory to the array and realized that xfs doesn't support the file creation date (like btrfs does).

My question: if I rebuild the array using btrfs will it support file creation dates?  i.e. will I see the same file creation date from the synology NAS if I use 'cp -p -r' command?

Thanks in advance.

2 hours ago, bwnautilus said:

My question: if I rebuild the array using btrfs will it support file creation dates?  i.e. will I see the same file creation date from the synology NAS if I use 'cp -p -r' command?

Good question.  Those file systems indeed maintain creation time (called birth) but AFAIK no standard linux OS command directly displays it.  It can be done however:

http://moiseevigor.github.io/software/2015/01/30/get-file-creation-time-on-linux-with-ext4/

• Upvote 1
44 minutes ago, bwnautilus said:

So when I mount a Synology share with Windows File Explorer and select the option to show the creation date is the SMB protocol interfacing with stat() on the Synology end?  If so would the same thing happen on unraid?

Just running a few tests: it looks like windows creation time is preserved.  Modified time is updated properly.  Access time is stuck as same as creation time because Unraid mounts the underlying volume with 'noatime,nodiratime'.   Hope this helps.

• Upvote 1