Shrink Array question

Adrian

5 hours ago, gemeit said:

Hi I want to remove 5 disks can I run this for 5 disks at the same time or do I need to do it 1 disk at a time

Thanks

You can do it simultaneously but it will be excruciatingly slow.

Why not just remove the disks all at once and rebuild parity one time with the final complement of disks?

• Like 1
17 hours ago, gemeit said:

Hi I want to remove 5 disks can I run this for 5 disks at the same time or do I need to do it 1 disk at a time

Thanks

It will be faster to clear one disk at a time, or much faster yet, just remove all and re-sync parity.

• 2 months later...
On 6/25/2023 at 7:02 PM, dopeytree said:

Ok thanks and guess there is only ever the 1 partition?

The drive was blank zeroed already and not used so I was able to remove by doing new config.

Quick easy.

Can you add some detail on how you were able to do a new config? I also have 5 disks I'm trying to remove, all of which were zeroed and 4 of which were never used. Want to try to safely remove the 4 and zero the 5th but not sure how and unraid docs don't provide any guidance.

On 12/3/2017 at 12:48 AM, JorgeB said:

For Unraid 6.12+ type in the CLI:

dd bs=1M if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mdXp1 status=progress

replace X with the correct disk number

I am currently running this script but it is speed limited by the read rate of my slowest drive which is currently about 5MB/s. At this rate it will take 19 days which is unacceptably long. 

Is there any way to interrupt/cancel this script from running without completing the full clear? Would that impact parity?