Anyone using Unraid with a Dune 3.0 Media Player via NFS?

Simon

I have a Dune Player 3.0 (base) which reads from my Unraid 4.5.6 server.  If I create a NFS connection from the Dune to an Unraid share, I can see the files and it reports the filesizes correctly, but if I actually try to  play a movie I get an error saying it can't access the file.  Does anyone have this working?

Not a big issue as SMB works fine, but I was interested in doing some read speed tests to see if there was any difference.

Cheers

Simon

Last time I checked, my PCH C-200 worked with NFS to my unRAID servers. I mainly use Samba now though, as it's quick enough with the current firmware.

Check your NFS settings on the unRAID side. Does the Dune let you browse for NFS servers?

I've used SMB and and am currently using NFS on my Dune players.  You need to do a couple of things to get this going.  First of all, make sure you have unRAID configured for NFS shares, as it will be defaulted to off.  This means adding *(rw) in the Disk shares (NFS): section under the Shares tab.  You didn't specify if you are using user shares or not, but I do on my system so that I can have just one icon for the entire array.  In my case, my settings on my Network Folder on the Dune look like this:

Name <shortcut name>

Type NFS

Server <unRAID IP address> You must use the IP address, not the server name

Folder /mnt/user/<sharename> If not using user shares, the replace user with disk1 or whatever disk number

Protocol UDP

As far as speed goes, I think SMB runs a little faster on the Dune, but I'm using NFS so I can specifically target sub directories in unRAID.

Thanks Aiden.  I am using User Shares, and it fact I got this working yesterday - my settings were the same as yours, apart from I used TCP.  Using UDP I was finding that I could see the files and the metadata (file size, bitrate etc.) but could never play or perform a read test on the files.

Anyway, I'm finding the same as you - SMB is actually faster.

I use ISOs, and if I rip the full disk with menus, then I get menus.  If I rip just the movie, then of course there are no menus.  As Simon said, the Prime has a blu-ray loader in it, so it can play Blu-Rays just like a normal player.  The Base does not have a drive, but has a slot for a 3.5" hard drive.

When the Dune IP control code gets released things get much better (IMHO) on the dune.  All you need to do is send it a string using HTTP Protocol (HTTP:// GET ..... that contains the correct Dune command and the full path to the folder (for ISOs) or the file for MKV's and that is it. You can turn off the entire Dune GUI, have no txt files nothing.  Of course you do need a librarian running somewhere . . .

All of the IR commands for transport control also work over the IP interface.

I've been having nothing but problems with my new Prime.  I can't get Blu-ray or regular DVD ISO's to stream without stuttering.    My read speed is 8 MB/s.    People on the Dune Player forums are saying that it is a network or Unraid issue.  That might be, but why are regular DVDs stuttering?    They play fine on my XBMC and HTPCs.    Blu-ray ISO rips played fine on my HTPC.    I have all the enhancement options enabled except for gigabit.

I've had trouble playing discs as well.  Both Avatar and Star Trek have crashed on me.  Rebooting was the only way to get the Dune out of a loading loop.       

Any ideas on where to start troubleshooting this?      Most people just say "It's a network problem" but don't offer anything constructive on how to actually solve it.      After spending about 10 hours trying to fix this, I'm about to just return the thing.  I'm tempted to just go back to using my XBMC and buy a cheap stand alone Blu-ray player and forget about playing Blu-ray rips.

Thanks.

I just saw your posts over one AVS... I tend to agree that at the very least, you shouldn't have DVD problems.

I've ripped my BluRays to MKV using makemkv, so haven't tried ISO's or folder structure.  They aren't re-encoded though, so are still the original BluRay videostream and also the high-def audio (where present). I've not seen any stuttering as yet.  Maybe you could rip one of your movies this way to test.  I can't remember my exact Read Test numbers, but I think they were around ~9MB/s.  Unfortunately I'm away for the week, otherwise I'd go get the real number and also try a iso test.

What firmware are you using? (I'm on the latest beta)

Are you using a Prime or Base? (I'm using a Base)

If Base - do you have any System Storage set-up? I think the BluRay spec requires this

Have you tried NFS? Seems slower for me, but maybe it's more stable

Are you able to test a file on local storage to remove the network from the equation for now?

Good luck!

My experience is only with the Base 3.0 unit.

What you are describing points to a network issue (I know you have heard that) but could also be an internal (Dune) memory problem.The first thing I would try is to isolate it from the network and see how it reacts when using its local BD/DVD drive.  If that is solid, I would then look at how it operates with an eSata drive and a movie ripped to there.

If it has issues with non network playback then return the unit.  I assume you are using SMB not NFS. Have you installed auxiliary (USB) storage?

If The unit works fine in a non-network mode then I would first try a "local" connection between your Dune Player and the unRaid box.  This is easiest done with a small 5 port workgroup switch (recommend linksys). If both the Dune and the unraid can be put near each other ( short cables) with both connected to the same switch. The switch can be connected to your router and be part of your network but I would want to see it initially with nothing else on the switch.  To do that both the Dune and the unRaid would need static IP's as there will be no DHCP server available and refrences may have to be by IP address not symbolic name.  You could also connect a laptop to the switch to do unraid control and check that things are addressable.

I run with no issues on a very complex network infrastructure (30 some odd hosts) at 100 mbps (no gigabit).  Between my Dune and my unRaid there are many segment hops involved ((1) Dune to switch, (2) switch to switch, (3) switch to router, (4) router  to switch, (5) switch to switch and (6) switch to unRaid.).  The router feeds 4 main 8 port switches, and both the theater and the server "room" have switches. There is only one subnet however (mask = 255.255.255.000).  Also are you using DHCP?  I recommend all static IP's as it eliminates an issue that theoretically should not be causing trouble.  When something is broken all theoretical "rules" are suspect.

If you want to contact me see my profile. I will help you as best I can

I run with no issues on a very complex network infrastructure (30 some odd hosts) at 100 mbps (no gigabit).  Between my Dune and my unRaid there are many segment hops involved ((1) Dune to switch, (2) switch to switch, (3) switch to router, (4) router  to switch, (5) switch to switch and (6) switch to unRaid.).  The router feeds 4 main 8 port switches, and both the theater and the server "room" have switches. There is only one subnet however (mask = 255.255.255.000).  Also are you using DHCP?  I recommend all static IP's as it eliminates an issue that theoretically should not be causing trouble.  When something is broken all theoretical "rules" are suspect.

Hi Barry

Do you know what kind of speeds you get while doing a read test?

Dune reports bit rates in the 30-40 mbps, but I am not sure how that is related to speed.  I guess my ultimate test is that it works cleanly (no stuttering)

If you browse to a file and press the info button on your remote, one of the options is "Read Test" (I think that's what it's called).  It will basically read the file as fast as it can and report back what speed it achieved.  It's useful information to know what speeds other Unraid users are getting.

I hooked up a USB hard drive and tried to play a blu-ray ISO.    Read test showed 16 MB/s      Still tons of audio stuttering.    No real improvement over streaming over the network.  I'm thinking I either have a wrong setting or a defective unit.     

I'm running the latest stable firmware 1555.    I guess I'll try the new beta and see if that makes a difference.   

Obviously if you're having the same issues with a locally connected drive, then it points away from being unRAID or network related.  My Dune averages in the 8 MB range for network speed, which is more than sufficient for smooth playback, and I have no issues playing a BD in the drive.  I see you've also been asking the MPCClub community.  They are the most active forum for Dune related stuff.  Are your settings adjusted as described in this sticky?  Did you purchase your player from Duneplayer.com?  You could call Mike (@duneplayer.com) and talk to him, as he is very knowledgeable about the hardware and configurations.

I did the read test as requested.  I get a consistent 11 MB/s.  Now if "mB" stands for MegaBYTES" then the transfer is going just about network speed since a byte on the network is 8 bit times plus some overhead for packet steering and control, and the fact that it traverses multiple hops in my home

Obviously if you're having the same issues with a locally connected drive, then it points away from being unRAID or network related.  My Dune averages in the 8 MB range for network speed, which is more than sufficient for smooth playback, and I have no issues playing a BD in the drive.  I see you've also been asking the MPCClub community.  They are the most active forum for Dune related stuff.  Are your settings adjusted as described in this sticky?  Did you purchase your player from Duneplayer.com?  You could call Mike (@duneplayer.com) and talk to him, as he is very knowledgeable about the hardware and configurations.

Thanks for the link on the sticky, however it didn't help.    I wish I would have purchased from Duneplayer.com  Unfortunately I purchased from a company called Sundial Micro.      They wanted me to pay for shipping both ways and the unit would be sent back to Dune, taking several weeks.  After all that, I still wouldn't know if I would be getting a machine that worked for me.  I said no thank you and I'll be returning it for a full refund.    I'm going to give up on streaming Blu-ray for now.  Even if the Dune Player worked perfectly, I don't really like it.    If the Dune Player is the BEST media streamer right now, I think that says less about the Dune Player and more about the sad state of these devices.      I'm going to hook up my old trusty modded Xbox with XBMC that has been running perfectly for years.    I'll just use a cheap stand-alone blu-ray player for now.    When I have more time and desire, I'll revisit streaming HD content. 

I understand your frustration, and in fact, I agonized for months over which streamer to buy.  But since I was starting fresh, I have nothing to compare it to.  I actually love mine so much I bought another for the bedroom.  The fact is that without a segment leader that sets a high quality mark, the consumer is left to hope and beta test a lot of things.  For what it's worth, Mike is the only authorized US distributor for repairing Dune players without shipping to China.  Even if you didn't buy from him, he still might be able to help you.  But it sounds like you've had your fill.   ;D

One of the big reasons I shied away from a PC solution was the HD audio side, since I rip everything with lossless audio only.

You can get lossless audio with HTPCs. In Windows 7 with either 5xxx series AMD GPUs or i3 GPUs you can bitstream both Dolby True HD and DTS HD to your receiver if you use programs that support such a feature.

I have a Linux based, XBMC dedicated HTPC and on that I too am able to get lossless audio from Blu Rays. One problem is that XBMC is not able to decode DTS HD currently because there is no open-source decoder available. So my solution is to decode the HD audio when I rip the Blu Ray from the disk and convert it to my old lossless friend- multi-channel FLAC. My receiver only supports 6 channel PCM, and the file sizes are much smaller than DTS HD, so it works out well for me. The extra time is next to nothing on my quad Hackintosh desktop. Here is a guide to do the conversion:

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17002

Seriously, it works great with my ION box once I set it up right. I have tons of HD movies, so I feel its pretty tested....

I started building HTPCs back in 2002 I think.  I've tried all different kinds of hardware and I have fun with it for a while and then life gets in the way.    The bleeding edge, beta stuff just requires too much effort for me now.  I just want something that works.  I know that for most people Dune is that solution.  I think I was just unlucky, or for some reason it doesn't play nice with my system.    So, I'll just go back to using XBMC on my Xbox.    I can live without streamed blu-rays for a while.    I've got other hobbies to keep me busy. 

Archived