Laptop RDP thin client for unRAID VM

goodGame

Allright, I got this idea. My laptop died, hence I was looking around for replacements. But it then hit me I could set up a VM in unraid and use a thin client, why not?

Now... the whole thing about this would be to save some hard earned cash, so does anyone know of a suitable laptop to use for this? The only thing it would need is a good screen and a decent ac-nic I suppose?

Is there some sort of RDP client OS? I know there is, companys use them. Are they availible for non business uses? Some open source ones maybe?

4 hours ago, Andreen said:

Meeeeh, I'm giving up on this. There are no suitable laptops for the purpose.

There are lots of suitable laptops. It's that to be suitable it will be a full laptop. Which means the laptop itself can handle most everyday tasks locally - it's only when you need to run software that consumes lots of RAM, lots of CPU power or lots of GPU power that it is meaningful for you to off-load the heavy machinery work to a back-end server.

Commercial thin-client terminals normally costs more than hobbyist-level laptops, with the main purpose not to be cheap to buy but to remove the need for local administration and the need for regular, local, hardware updates.

So in the end, it's best for you to go the "normal" route where you run most software locally on the laptop.

A second hand thinkpad, a lightweight version of Linux and an array of remote access tools, although if you wanted to use a Windows VM, you may be better off with a Windows install and using their RDP client.

Neither of which are really a thin client, but maybe a cost effective way of leveraging better performance from an old laptop.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Interesting, I'm familiar with Remina but I've never got the same performance from it as I have with Windows RDP client. Especially in terms of watching video.

Having said that, been on full time Linux and Windows free for nearly two years now I think, so I don't really keep up to date nor need it myself.

46 minutes ago, itimpi said:

One solution that I have seen is a Raspberry Pi running Remina as the RDP client.   You can easily attach the Raspberry Pi to the back of the screen you intend to use.   I have used that myself when I had a problem with my desktop Windows system.

How do you find the performance of Remina compared with the Windows native RDP client?  Starting to think I am missing something as everything I had read and tried seemed to suggest the relatively poorer performance was to be expected.

1 hour ago, CHBMB said:

How do you find the performance of Remina compared with the Windows native RDP client?  Starting to think I am missing something as everything I had read and tried seemed to suggest the relatively poorer performance was to be expected.

it performs very well for me. but i'm not watching videos inside RDP, just switch back to host if needed.

it all depends on latency between sites - for me it's about 5-7ms, and it's very acceptable for me.

and according Remmina - there was a very huge development progress across last years, they changed RDP component to freerdp, added RD gateway support..  

it performs very well for me. but i'm not watching videos inside RDP, just switch back to host if needed.
it all depends on latency between sites - for me it's about 5-7ms, and it's very acceptable for me.

and according Remmina - there was a very huge development progress across last years, they changed RDP component to freerdp, added RD gateway support..  
Interesting, may play around again with it just for giggles.

7 hours ago, pwm said:

There are lots of suitable laptops. It's that to be suitable it will be a full laptop. Which means the laptop itself can handle most everyday tasks locally - it's only when you need to run software that consumes lots of RAM, lots of CPU power or lots of GPU power that it is meaningful for you to off-load the heavy machinery work to a back-end server.

Commercial thin-client terminals normally costs more than hobbyist-level laptops, with the main purpose not to be cheap to buy but to remove the need for local administration and the need for regular, local, hardware updates.

So in the end, it's best for you to go the "normal" route where you run most software locally on the laptop.

Yes, that's pretty much what I found, I meant suitable as in suitable for me, as in cheap.

Watching video would be one requirement, hence I thought about RDP. Gonna check out Remmina too, sounds sweet.

The thing about getting a used laptop is I'd like something slim and lightweight, hard to find I guess. New would be preferable..

Gonna search some more, great inputs all :)

3 minutes ago, itimpi said:

My experience is that the moment you start wanting to watch video then none of the RDP clients are very good.

I was pretty impressed with the native Windows 10 RDP client.  Before I got my own laptop I used to quite frequently use my wife's laptop to RDP to my desktop and watch Youtube 1080p stuff from my bookmarks.  

On 1/26/2018 at 1:08 AM, mrow said:

What about a Chromebook? There are quite a few RDP clients for ChromeOS.

I know absolutely nothing about ChromeOS but checked out a few and seems really good for my purpose! You sure there are rdp client software you can install in chromeOS?

• 2 weeks later...