We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

CRC errors on 3 disks when updating to 6.4.1

wgstarks

When I rebooted after the 6.4.1 update I got 3 CRC error notifications-

Event: unRAID Parity disk SMART health [199]
Subject: Warning [BRUNNHILDE] - udma crc error count is 119
Description: ST8000AS0002-1NA17Z_Z840L3CQ (sdc)
Importance: warning

Event: unRAID Disk 2 SMART health [199]
Subject: Warning [BRUNNHILDE] - udma crc error count is 291
Description: Hitachi_HDS724040ALE640_PK2301PAGR5VAT (sdg)

Event: unRAID Cache disk SMART health [199]
Subject: Warning [BRUNNHILDE] - udma crc error count is 171
Description: MKNSSDRE240GB-LT_ML170317100347B33 (sde)

No idea what to think about this???

brunnhilde-diagnostics-20180202-2119.zip

6 minutes ago, Squid said:

Its a new attribute that's being monitored.

Thanks squid. I have 10 disks installed. Why are only 3 generating an error?

8 minutes ago, Squid said:

Sorry. Been a long day I guess, but I don't see anything there about CRC errors. Tried a search of that thread but that didn't work either.

Starting wth 6.4.1, unRAID now monitors SMART attribute 199 (UDMA CRC errors) for you.  If you get an alert about this right after upgrading, you can just acknowledge it, as the error probably happened in the past.  If you get an alert down the road, it is likely due to a loose SATA cable. Reseat both ends, or replace if needed.

18 hours ago, wgstarks said:

Thanks. Don't know why i waste time with the forum search. I used UDMA CRC and got no results.¬¬

You are not the only one.  Only about a quarter of the time do I ever get any 'hits'  and when I do only about 10% of those are ever useful.  (Often I am searching for some thread or post that I know exists and the search engine comes back without a single listing!)  

5 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

Forum search is practically useless, I always use google, just add unraid to the search term and I usually find what I'm looking for.

Thanks, Johnnie, that worked!  The item I spent ten minutes looking for using the forum search was the the first item on the Google search and it was a thread that was started in 2008.  (I was looking for Joe L.'s  preclear script.)

@wgstarks, when you are looking for something on a webpage that you have pulled up, use the search engine for your browser.  (I believe a CRTL-F will bring up the window on most browsers.  I use that feature extensively when looking for something on a syslog page in the GUI.)

8 minutes ago, wgstarks said:

Don’t forget it needs a mod for current versions of unRAID.

I found the portion of the the thread where that mod is located.  (I also bookmarked the thread this Time!!)  I applied the mod just after I uploaded the script to the root of the Flash drive on my Test Bed server.  I am thinking about preclearing a drive using 6.4.1 just to see if it really still works after all of the updates since the last time I used it.  I will probably do that the early part of next week when there are fewer distractions around.  

BTW, I used the built in Terminal widow in the GUI and it was real easy and very simple.  I even pasted the sed command with it long string of parameters to make the task even quicker.

Archived