Disk errors

lennygman

Hi.. i followed this process

1. Stop the array
  2. Unassign the old drive if still assigned (to unassign, set it to No Device)
  3. Power down
  4. [ Optional ] Pull the old drive (you may want to leave it installed for Preclearing or testing)
  5. Install the new drive
  6. Power on
  7. Assign the new drive in the slot of the old drive
  8. Go to the Main -> Array Operation section
  9. Put a check in the Yes, I'm sure checkbox (next to the information indicating the drive will be rebuilt), and click the Start button
  10. The rebuild will begin, with hefty disk activity on all drives, lots of writes on the new drive and lots of reads on all other drives

Disk is now showing green and no errors but it is empty.. Has no data. This disk had my VMs so VMs are not starting.  

I mounted bad disk as unassigned and moving data into new disk 4 manually. I restarted array so I guess logs are lost :( .  Attached are current diagnostics (ignore disk 5 missing, i unplugged it for now)  

One thing i recall i did in the above process was to acknowledge an error in "Fix Common Problems" after i moved disk 4 into No Device state and before i shut down server to replace drive. I dont recall the message but I like to think it was just a warning that disk 4 was missing. Would this app identify that a disk was removed from the array and ask me to confirm that data is not needed?  I dont recall the message. Click to quick. 

tower-diagnostics-20180213-1003.zip

tower-syslog-20180213-1013.zip

If you had filesystem corruption, then it's possible that unRAID couldn't mount the emulated disk and so it might offer to format it. There is a checkbox for that when you start the array also.

So are you saying you can read the original disk in Unassigned Devices?

Restarting the array does not lose logs, but rebooting does. And it looks like you rebooted instead of restarted.

It is never necessary to also post the syslog with your diagnostics. Diagnostics already includes the syslog.

Format is a write operation. In every operating system you have ever used, "format" means "write an empty filesystem to this disk".

unRAID treats this just like any other write operation, by updating parity. So parity agrees the disk is empty. It is not clear though, it is just an empty filesytem. And it only affects the disks that were formatted. Are all your other disks OK?

It is sometimes possible to recover files from a formatted disk, but if you can still read them from the original disk that is probably the simplest.

I understand format, but was clicking to quick without reading (my fault). I assumed that drive needed to be formatted before data gets rebuilt on it (typical step in windows) 

That is what I am doing right now.. i mounted old drive and copying data. So once it is done, data will be "seen" as part of the array like before?  

2 hours ago, lennygman said:

I assumed that drive needed to be formatted before data gets rebuilt on it (typical step in windows) 

I don't really remember since I have only needed to do it a couple of times, but I don't think I have ever formatted a drive in Windows before restoring an image to it. What would be the point of writing an empty filesystem when you are going to restore a non-empty filesystem?

Of course people often format a disk when they are getting ready to use it, but that just blurs the distinction I was trying to make, and that is what often gets people in trouble here.

53 minutes ago, trurl said:

Of course people often format a disk when they are getting ready to use it

And by use it, you mean filling it with files.

Which is what people ASSume parity does, recreate their files. Problem is, as you well know, parity doesn't have any files in it. None. Zero.

Obviously there is something broken in our education or communication about unraid, because we keep seeing the SAME issue, time after time.

Is there a way to fix the way we present and communicate? We already got automatic formatting turned into a checkbox, and people STILL shoot themselves in the foot.

I proposed a few months ago that disk operations like this should be on their own page, because formatting happens so rarely that it shouldn't have a place near the start button. The warnings about setting a new config not restoring data seems to have worked, we haven't had a case like that in a few years. Maybe if we moved the format option to the disk properties page, and surrounded the button with a clear explanation of what format is and does, and when it's appropriate and when it's not, then maybe?

I totally say it is my fault as I was not reading descriptions as i was going thru rebuild and it is my first failure/rebuild (plus i am not an expert on UnRAID), but to jonathan's point,  i do think Formatting a drive would not make sense to have anywhere near array operations. I think it belongs to disk operations section or something like a utility like "preclear" 

6 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

Is there a way to fix the way we present and communicate? We already got automatic formatting turned into a checkbox, and people STILL shoot themselves in the foot.

v6.4 already has an additional warning in red that formatting a drive will make it impossible to recover with parity, OP is still on v6.3.5 so not useful to him.

15 minutes ago, lennygman said:

I recovered all by 1x30Gb file (VM vdisk)

I assume you can't copy that file from the old disk because you get a I/O error due to the bad sectors, correct?

17 minutes ago, lennygman said:

Should i try running reiserfsck on failed disk?

Reiserfsck might be able to help on the formatted disk if it was using the reiser filesystem, all your disks are xfs, unless it was reiser before the format?

If the answers are yes and no respectively you have to options, running a file recover utility on the formatted disk, like ufs explorer, to try and recover the image or clone the old disk with ddrescue to skip the bad sectors, but the vdisk will be corrupt, you'd need some luck for the corruption to be in a place that woudln't affect it.

The clone method takes some time and you need and extra disk as destination (or you could also clone to an array disk, but it wood need to be in maintenance mode during the clone, i.e., server wouldn't be accessible) but it's not much work, you can find the procedure here:

https://lime-technology.com/forums/topic/46802-faq-for-unraid-v6/?do=findComment&comment=525075

Still work in progress but the first part, the clone part (except cloning to an array disk), is complete and tested.

Archived