DPMS display blanking?

Should DPMS display blanking be working on the console monitor in unRAID? I'm using the non-GUI version, but even with the GUI the monitor seems to just stay on forever.

I couldn't find any settings related to it and searching the forum only brings up a post from 2010 with no resolution to the guy's problem.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? It seems like it should be simple. Maybe it's just my hardware?

That's understandable, although I wonder why DPMS can't be disabled when a crash occurs. Maybe a limitation of Linux?

Personally, I don't find the displayed trace very useful. It's usually only a portion of it since the remainder has scrolled out of view.

Maybe they could consider adding it back in as an user option in a future release? Then the choice would be for the user to make.

Yes, I realize I can just switch it on and off manually, but then I have to make a point of remembering to do so. It's less convenient and a waste of electricity when I inevitably forget to turn it off manually since it's been a fairly standard OS feature for 20 years or more.

Also, I have two systems connected to this monitor. The other one of course turns the display off, which causes the monitor to automatically switch back to the active input.

It's a minor problem I admit, but it's a problem for me nonetheless. Surely it's not just me and some guy from 2010 that wants their monitor to turn off automatically.

• 5 months later...

I'm a bit surprised by Unraid not seeming  to support dpms.    "Blanking" the screen with dpms can considerably reduce the power consumption for some graphics cards.   It should, at the very least, be an option.  Just turning off the monitor doesn't have the same effect.

Edited by brainbone
On 8/22/2018 at 5:23 PM, John_M said:

Did you read the earlier posts? UnRAID did support it but the decision was made to remove the facility and a valid reason given. If you'd like the functionality to be restored you can make a feature request.

Yes, and I did submit a feature request -- but a post here lets other know my reasoning for wanting it back, should they also see fit to request it.

Edited by brainbone