Docker container move ...

Firstly ... I know nect to nothing about linux or docker specifically but seem to have muddled through with the assistance provided bny this forum so far, thanks.. But, my problem is that my docker image file is outgrowing the disk which its currently on and i needed to move it so i ran mv /mnt/disk1 /mnt/disk2 after having stopped docker. This appeared to be going fine until i realised that i'd pointed it to disk2 instead of disk3, oops! Disk2 filled and i now have a docker image file segmented across two disks which i obviously dont want so ..... how do i sort this out? Can i just delet the docker image and recreate on the right disk and do i need to backup first. Whats the CORRECT procedure to follow? My container info is on disk3, docker image on 1 and 2. Plan is to remove docker image, reuse disk1 as cache disk this time and recreate image file. Sounds eady, is it? Dont really want to have to redo my dockers ...

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Firstly ... I know nect to nothing about linux or docker specifically but seem to have muddled through with the assistance provided bny this forum so far, thanks.. But, my problem is that my docker image file is outgrowing the disk which its currently on and i needed to move it so i ran mv /mnt/disk1 /mnt/disk2 after having stopped docker. This appeared to be going fine until i realised that i'd pointed it to disk2 instead of disk3, oops! Disk2 filled and i now have a docker image file segmented across two disks which i obviously dont want so ..... how do i sort this out? Can i just delet the docker image and recreate on the right disk and do i need to backup first. Whats the CORRECT procedure to follow? My container info is on disk3, docker image on 1 and 2. Plan is to remove docker image, reuse disk1 as cache disk this time and recreate image file. Sounds eady, is it? Dont really want to have to redo my dockers ...

How big is your docker image?!

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

How big is your docker image?!

it's 50gb alongwith a couple of vm iso images. The disk is only 250gb and i just want to repurpose it, with just the docker images and my download folders as a temporary cache disk. I'm still learning and playing around, never had a cache disk or messed with mover etc.

14 minutes ago, superloopy1 said:

it's 50gb alongwith a couple of vm iso images. The disk is only 250gb and i just want to repurpose it, with just the docker images and my download folders as a temporary cache disk. I'm still learning and playing around, never had a cache disk or messed with mover etc.

It is much much better to have docker.img, VMs, and system shares such as appdata on a disk that is not in the array. Cache is the simplest way to do this.

50GB is very large for a docker.img, or does that number include your ISOs? If that is just docker.img it makes me wonder if you don't have a problem you were trying to solve by making it that big. A common reason for docker.img running out of space is because some app is writing data into it instead of some folder mapped to unRAID storage.

7 minutes ago, L0rdRaiden said:

Sorry for hijacking the thread but where are the images of the Dockers apps? Inside de Docker image? I made 15 gb what will happend if my docker images require more space than the 15 GB I assigned them.

If you fill up your docker.img then it will likely become corrupt and you will have to recreate it. Having said that, the solution usually isn't to make it larger and larger. The solution is to figure out what is writing into it, as I mentioned in my previous post. See the Docker FAQ for more and if you have more questions start your own thread.

It is much much better to have docker.img, VMs, and system shares such as appdata on a disk that is not in the array. Cache is the simplest way to do this.

50GB is very large for a docker.img, or does that number include your ISOs? If that is just docker.img it makes me wonder if you don't have a problem you were trying to solve by making it that big. A common reason for docker.img running out of space is because some app is writing data into it instead of some folder mapped to unRAID storage.

No ... its not full as far as i know and as for size then its likely i created it at that size from the off. Just need to know how to safely move or delete it and recreate it. Who knows ... i might make it smaller.

No ... its not full as far as i know and as for size then its likely i created it at that size from the off. Just need to know how to safely move or delete it and recreate it. Who knows ... i might make it smaller. 

50gb is huge for a docker.img

As to how to move it, stop docker service, move the file, point docker service to new location, restart service. Easy