[SOLVED] Need help with drive issue and unclean shutdown!

So:

We had a power outage and my server went down. Usually when this happens and the server comes back up and I start the array it performs a parity check (as expected due to unclean shutdown). Right now when I brought the server back up it is also showing Disk 4 as "No Device" and I can hear a strange clicking so I'm guessing the drive's gone bad. How do I bring my array back up now? Do I just replace the drive and reboot and start the array - I'm guessing that won't work since the server thinks parity is not valid and will start a new parity check!

I hope I'm not going to lose all that data on the 4th disk! Thanks in advance for any advice!

Unclean shutdown normally does a noncorrecting parity check, but I'm not sure about what it does on that old version of unRAID you are running.

The missing drive doesn't appear in the SMART so I can't tell if it is usable or not, but if you have a spare it is better to replace anyway. You could try checking the connections to see if it shows up and post another diagnostic.

Your data is likely going to be OK after rebuilding the disk, but there is a small chance of corruption, which can probably be repaired.

• 2 weeks later...

Parity disk dropped offline since the beginning of the rebuild, possibly because of a bad cable, ideally you should have stopped the rebuild when you got the errors, since the rebuilt disk is completely corrupt, but if parity disk is OK we can force a new rebuild with the invalid slot command, first thing to do is to disable array autostart (if enable) power down, check/replace parity cables, power back on, and post new diags.

12 minutes ago, trurl said:

I don't understand why it would try to write and then disable parity while rebuilding disk4, but that does seem to be what syslog is saying.

That's normal behavior, if there are read errors on another disk during a rebuild unRAID logs "multiple disk errors", i.e., there are errors on more disks than parity can recover, it will continue the rebuild but there will be corruption, in this case the complete disk is corrupt since parity dropped immediately offline, but on cases where there are only a few read errors the rebuilt disk will be mostly OK, which can be better then nothing.

Disk looks fine, follow these instructions carefully:

-Tools -> New Config -> Retain current configuration: All -> Apply
-Assign any missing disk(s)
-Important - After checking the assignments leave the browser on that page, the "Main" page.

-Open an SSH session/use the console and type:

mdcmd set invalidslot 4 29

-Back on the GUI and without refreshing the page, just start the array, do not check the "parity is already valid" box, disk4 will start rebuilding, disk4 should mount immediately but if it's unmountable don't format, wait for the rebuild to finish and then run a filesystem check.

Sorry for the delayed response. I was unable to work on the system till now. 

So I switched cables around. Parity  seems to be working now but disk 1 shows as disabled now.

I performed the above steps again and attaching the logs here. Should I be running filesystem check now (if so - how?) OR should I repeat above steps again after trying to reseat disk1?

mediatower-diagnostics-20180406-0930.zip

• WorriedAboutDataLoss changed the title to [SOLVED] Need help with drive issue and unclean shutdown!