Encrypted volumes

17 hours ago, strike said:

Why don't you use the built-in encryption? I'm sure you can use veracrypt, but then you have to run a VM or something with veracrypt installed every time you want to decrypt/unlock your volume. So why, when there's built-in encryption support?

I don't have to use a vm. I have a windows 10 desktop PC that I use to access unraid from. I can install Veracrypt in windows and then access the volumes from the different PC. That just seems more convenient for me. As then I could also access those volumes outside of unraid as well and I already have data in Veracrypt volumes that I just want to copy across. 

If it will affect parity then I won't do it, no problems. I was just curious of whether it would have any impact on the parity. I was thinking it might be ok because at the filesystem level it is just the same sort of data as any other data. 

Edited by Simontv
19 hours ago, strike said:

Why don't you use the built-in encryption? I'm sure you can use veracrypt, but then you have to run a VM or something with veracrypt installed every time you want to decrypt/unlock your volume. So why, when there's built-in encryption support?

The primary advantage is being able to create encrypted volumes smaller than a full drive, or using existing volumes that you have created. Also you dont need a VM, Vera-crypt is available for linux and there is of course a docker for that.

@Simontv Can confirm that Vera-Crypt volumes cause no issues on unRAID.

Edited by primeval_god