Corrupt USB

16 minutes ago, David McGlynn said:

Can I just download and copy unraid on to a new usb stick as I think the one I have installed is corrupt or do I need permission? thxs David

Not sure exactly what you are asking, but I'll take a stab at it and say yes, you can transfer your license to a new stick once a year, when you boot it up and log in to the webgui it will walk you through the license transfer procedure automatically.

All this is supposing that you have a copy of at least your license key file from the config folder, preferably you have a backup of the USB drive's config folder that you can use on the new stick.

However... what makes you think your current USB is faulty? Perhaps it would be better to post the diagnostics zip file or if you can't get that far describe your issue more fully. If it's a matter of file corruption you would be much better off redoing your current stick instead of doing a license transfer.

I moved my pc and unraid server from upstairs to down stairs, so all I done was unplugged every thing and then plug everything back in, now my usb stick flashes orange and none of the desktops or laptops in the house will connect, its not even showing in the router as being connected, i cant get it to connect in browser, not even asking for user name or password. I thought I had back up of my key in email and a backup up of unraid but I havent. thxs David

3 minutes ago, David McGlynn said:

I moved my pc and unraid server from upstairs to down stairs, so all I done was unplugged every thing and then plug everything back in, now my usb stick flashes orange and none of the desktops or laptops in the house will connect, its not even showing in the router as being connected, i cant get it to connect in browser, not even asking for user name or password. I thought I had back up of my key in email and a backup up of unraid but I havent. thxs David

You might first try plugging your unRAID USB drive into a Windows PC and running "chkdsk" on it.  If there are minor problems, this will often fix them and make it bootable again.

6 minutes ago, David McGlynn said:

just found copy of email with the url to copy/paste for key, can i fix the problem now? usb wont show up in my windows pc doesnt even show usb in explorer

It sounds like the USB flash drive has failed.  Do you have a backup of the flash drive contents?  If so, you can prepare a new flash drive, copy the /config folder from the backup and do the license transfer process to get your license key registered for the new flash drive.

If you do not have a backup of the flash drive, you will have to reconfigure unRAID.  No data will be lost, you will just have to do a new config and reassign the disks to the array.  Be sure not to accidentally assign the parity drive(s) as data disks.  If you had notifications turned on (highly recommended), you should have a recent email that will show you your current disk assignments by serial number.

5 minutes ago, David McGlynn said:

my unraid now showing in explorer but not showing any files, so can i make up new flash drive and then copy paste my key from the email when new usb has booted?

If you do not have a backup of the current unRAID flash drive, you still will not be able to see your files in Windows until you boot into unRAID cleanly, reconfigure and start the array.  Use another flash drive.

If you have your key file URL, you can paste that in the appropriate place in Tools>Registration and then transfer the key.

1 hour ago, David McGlynn said:

usb wont show up in my windows pc doesnt even show usb in explorer

I assume here you are referring to the actual flash drive which you have tried to read in your PC.

50 minutes ago, David McGlynn said:

my unraid now showing in explorer but not showing any files, so can i make up new flash drive and then copy paste my key from the email when new usb has booted?

Did you get the server to boot but it is not working correctly, or by "my unraid" are you actually referring to the flash drive and not the server?

45 minutes ago, David McGlynn said:

windows is reporting that its online but not responding to connection attempts?

This is very confusing. Is your flash drive usable as a flash drive or not? I don't mean will it boot your server and let you use it. I just mean can you put it in your PC and read any files from that flash drive.

If the flash drive works as a flash drive, then it may be possible to get it working to boot and use your server without going to all the trouble of registering a new flash.

Did you ever actually try this advice?

1 hour ago, Hoopster said:

You might first try plugging your unRAID USB drive into a Windows PC and running "chkdsk" on it.

Please clarify. Are you able to get to the boot menu? Or can you not even read the contents of the flash drive when you put it in your PC?

• 4 years later...