Can't see Clover after passing through GPU

First, my macOS VM boots and I can use the OS at full resolution on my ultra wide monitor. I've passed my GTX 1070 through and am using the matching (build) Nvidia web drivers. I've checked off all the appropriate places in CloverConfig.

However, when I boot I can't see Clover. When I was using VNC rather than the passed through GPU, I could see Clover just fine. Now, I can't. I'm thinking it has something to do with Clover's resolution setting, but I've tried changing it to all the common resolutions and some weird ones, and no matter, I can't see Clover on boot. (Luckily it boots past Clover just fine.)

Can anyone help me see Clover on boot?

Thanks!

Edited by ksignorini
1 hour ago, ksignorini said:

So, you never have to see Clover again? Like, it's not ever necessary?

Once the vm is working, and you don’t make any crazy hardware changes, pretty much. 

but if you want to access it again for whatever reason, just boot the vm with vnc instead of the gpu.

7 minutes ago, testdasi said:

Clover always asks me what to boot with (even when I have only 1 partition) so not sure what you meant by seeing nothing from TianoCore to OS boots.

as mentioned before there are circumstances where, when passing through a gpu you will only see the tianocore logo follwoed by a black screen. Then it won't come up again until the os loads (typically macos) once the gpu drivers have been loaded by the os. this does not occur when using only vnc. it may be able to be solved by injecting graphics drives with clover, but I've never futzed with it.

18 hours ago, gridrunner said:

You can try setting the timeout longer for clover before it auto boots (in the clover configurator ) so its up longer.

Maybe try connecting the 1070 to a different port hdmi/displayport etc. you may see it during the boot process then.

I'll try with the timeout.

My 1070 has only 1 HDMI port, but with some fidgeting I might be able to try the DP ports.

On 9/4/2018 at 6:09 AM, 1812 said:

as mentioned before there are circumstances where, when passing through a gpu you will only see the tianocore logo follwoed by a black screen. Then it won't come up again until the os loads (typically macos) once the gpu drivers have been loaded by the os. this does not occur when using only vnc. it may be able to be solved by injecting graphics drives with clover, but I've never futzed with it.

This is exactly it. I actually am injecting the Nvidia web drivers, and they work in the OS, but don't affect the boot screen from what I can tell.

On 9/4/2018 at 5:57 AM, testdasi said:

Clover always asks me what to boot with (even when I have only 1 partition) so not sure what you meant by seeing nothing from TianoCore to OS boots.

I don't see Clover. I see the TitanoCore logo and after a few seconds (maybe 20) the next thing I see is the Apple logo.

On 9/3/2018 at 8:18 PM, david279 said:

Tiano core boot menu. I think you hit delete when its booting to get into the menu. Set the correct resolution for your VM there.

I've tried Delete, F1, F2, F12, all the other F keys, etc. I'm pretty sure one of them is working because at that point, the TitanoCore logo stays on screen and the booting stops. I figure it's because I actually am in the boot menu, but just can't see it.

3 hours ago, ksignorini said:

I've tried Delete, F1, F2, F12, all the other F keys, etc. I'm pretty sure one of them is working because at that point, the TitanoCore logo stays on screen and the booting stops. I figure it's because I actually am in the boot menu, but just can't see it.

What you are describing sounds like what happened to me when I forgot to add Ed's custom xml into the template (or when I edited via the form, which removed my custom xml).

2 hours ago, testdasi said:

What you are describing sounds like what happened to me when I forgot to add Ed's custom xml into the template (or when I edited via the form, which removed my custom xml).

Which lines in Ed's XML? My XML boots my VM and passes through GPU, USB, and other gear.  I'm not sure what lines would be the problem.

These:

<qemu:commandline>
    <qemu:arg value='-usb'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-device'/>
    <qemu:arg value='usb-mouse,bus=usb-bus.0'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-device'/>
    <qemu:arg value='usb-kbd,bus=usb-bus.0'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-smbios'/>
    <qemu:arg value='type=2'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-cpu'/>
    <qemu:arg value='Penryn,vendor=GenuineIntel,kvm=on,+invtsc,vmware-cpuid-freq=on,'/>
  </qemu:commandline>