Changing the motherboard to a completely different one

pingmanping

My AsRock C2750D4I just died today. Somehow it is stuck in 97C temperature (according to IPMI) and won't even boot up.

I just bought Supermicro C3758 (A2SDi-8C+-HLN4F) motherboard to replace the AsRock motherboard. My understanding is to get this back to normal and not lose any data, I just need to plug the original unRaid USB drive and I need to place each drive to the original order.

Am I right about this?

I was told that it does not matter anymore with version 6.x version. Basically, I can just put the drive in random order and it would boot just fine and no data lost.

So as long as you have your USB key your fine. Plug all the drives in. Make sure they all show in the bios and boot. I'd say hopefully you don't have auto start your array so you can verify 100%. But It shouldn't matter anymore. I moved my machine to a new case redid all the wiring new motherboard(x399) & 2990wx from ryzen 1700 and the only problem I had is I had auto start enabled and my gaming machine had my storage card mapped to it instead of the gpu.

I have my docker containers set to auto start and one Windows VM set to auto-start.

I also have my drives and cache encrypted. I don't know if this matter.

I am not familiar with array autostart. Whenever I reboot my server, I had to manually start the array because before I reboot I had to turn off docker and vm manager then stopped the array. I have never rebooted my server without stopping the array. What is the default behavior?

Since my drives are encrypted, would it prompt me to manually start the array?

The encryption part I do not know as I've not done encryption. But for me I have a gaming machine that I pass things to like soundcard, gpu, usb controller, and other things. When you changes boxes the addresses to those pci cards/slots/onboard stuff change and on mine I just happened to have the great luck of my gpu address on my old board mapped to my storage card for my whole array instead.

The default behavior is to have the array stopped on boot and you manually start it.

10 hours ago, pingmanping said:

I am not familiar with array autostart. Whenever I reboot my server, I had to manually start the array because before I reboot I had to turn off docker and vm manager then stopped the array.

If you go to   Settings   >>>   Disk Settings    you will find the "Enable auto start:" toggle.  I believe the default is 'No' but many/(most(?)) of us have set it to 'Yes'.  That way, if the server is shutdown (say, for a powerage) for any reason, anyone can restart the server and have it up-and-running without further intervention.   You can find similar settings for Dockers and VM's. 

39 minutes ago, BRiT said:

Change settings in BIOS to boot legacy or enable UEFI boot in unRaid. I think it's in release notes, something about renaming a directory on the USB drive.

I selected legacy boot and selected "USB Harddisk" as the only boot option and disabled the rest. When I restarted, it booted to EFI Shell again.

If I change the Boot Mode to UEFI, it sees the USB SanDisk, but it doesn't boot from it.

Screenshot 2018-10-20 at 20.50.24.png

42 minutes ago, BRiT said:

Read the thread I linked to if you're trying EFI boot. You need to do things.

Do I just need to rename the folder named "EFI" to "EFI-", is that correct?

I just checked the USB drive and the folder is already "EFI-"

I renamed it to "EFI" and it seems to be booting now and I think I am back online.

Thanks for all the help

Archived