Photoshop files being deleted when working directly from unraid

3ajs

Has anyone experienced this before? We setup a new Unraid server with a single SMB user share with the following settings:

Allocation method: High-water

Minimum Free Space: 100GB

Split level: Automatically split any directory as required

Use cache disk: No

Enhanced OS X Interoperability: Yes

Security: Private

User access: Read/write

The clients are 2 Mac computers. We are working directly off the unraid server using Photoshop CC. It would load and save the files fine. But after saving, when we go to retrieve the file later, it has been deleted. I have installed the Recycle Bin plugin ever since it did this the first time - so I can get the files back. But why are the files being deleted? It is not ideal to go retrieve the files from recycle bin everytime.

tower-diagnostics-20181115-1148.zip

You are going to have to provide us with some more information. 

First thing to to is to setup an experiment to see exactly what is going on.  Work with a test file and watch in a file manager exactly what is happening.  Note the times of each step in your experiment.  That way, you (and we) can see if anything is happening at the same times in the logs.  (Normal file  management events are not normally logged.)  Try to determine when the file is being 'deleted' and what operation in Photoshop caused it to happen. Be sure to test things like saving a file without closing.  Saving and then closing a changed file.  Just close a changed file without saving to see if it prompts for a save operation first. Close the program without saving a changed file.  

You also need to tell us whether which file transfer protocol you are using SMB, NFS or AFP.  

26 minutes ago, Frank1940 said:

First thing to to is to setup an experiment to see exactly what is going on.  Work with a test file and watch in a file manager exactly what is happening.  Note the times of each step in your experiment.  That way, you (and we) can see if anything is happening at the same times in the logs.  (Normal file  management events are not normally logged.)  Try to determine when the file is being 'deleted' and what operation in Photoshop caused it to happen. Be sure to test things like saving a file without closing.  Saving and then closing a changed file.  Just close a changed file without saving to see if it prompts for a save operation first. Close the program without saving a changed file.  

You also need to tell us whether which file transfer protocol you are using SMB, NFS or AFP.  

Thank you @Frank1940, will do as you sggested. It is an SMB share with Mac OSX clients. Will test and report back.

If it helps I am seeing loads of files being Unlinked in the Recycle Bin logs, some say failed: No such file or directory and others say unlinked without any explanation:

2018-11-15 12_49_39-Start.png

7 hours ago, Frank1940 said:

@Frank1940 I have done as you suggested and created a screencap of the test.

Test case: Saving changed file without closing Photoshop

Result: file deleted

Test case: Saving changed file and closing Photoshop

Result: file deleted

Test case: Close changed file without saving

Result: file not deleted

Test case: Closing changed file without saving, prompted to Save

Result: When hit Save - file deleted. When hit Don't save - file not deleted

Here is a 1 minute video of test case #2: Saving changed file and closing Photoshop: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zxligo35hixd3ww/Screencap.avi?dl=0

Worth noting, this was never a problem saving locally to the Mac nor to any external drives plugged into the Mac. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

37 minutes ago, Squid said:

What happens if you disable Recycle Bin?

The file goes to oblivion. We lost 4 edited files this way, which prompted us to install recycle bin

Further observations:

1) the same tests were performed with TextEdit but no matter what I did to the file, it was never deleted. However, Copies of the .RTF file ended up in the recycle bin....

2) I opened up Photoshop CC saved a New photoshop file on the Unraid SMB share and it was able to Save it for the first time initially. When I made a change to the file and saved again, the file once again was deleted (ended up in Recycle Bin)

2018-11-15 20_24_12-Start.png

When I went to exit TextEdit, I got this error message. When I opened the file a second time, the filename was changed from Untitled.rtf to experimental folder.rtf. See second attached image.

2018-11-15 20_29_26-Start.png

3 minutes ago, 1812 said:

This post won't help you, but I use photoshop on a mac, editing files on the array and don't have this problem.

Are you using Enhanced OSX Interoperability: YES with an SMB share?

Edit: strange - are you using High Sierra version 10.13.5?

I'm quite convinced that it's Enhanced OSX Interoperability: YES on the SMB share that is causing the problems. I have tried 3-4 files now and none have been deleted after saving. Before this change, every single file was deleted/recycle bin after every single save of Photoshop CC

1 minute ago, 3ajs said:

I'm quite convinced that it's Enhanced OSX Interoperability: YES on the SMB share that is causing the problems. I have tried 3-4 files now and none have been deleted after saving. Before this change, every single file was deleted/recycle bin after every single save of Photoshop CC

It might just be the particulars of your situation/setup. As I mentioned, I have the same setting on a share with no issues. You may also look into turning off packet signing. I believe it is disabled on the osx machine I use. Might not be an issue, but a possible difference in configuration that I can think of off the top of my head.

1 minute ago, 1812 said:

It might just be the particulars of your situation/setup. As I mentioned, I have the same setting on a share with no issues. You may also look into turning off packet signing. I believe it is disabled on the osx machine I use. Might not be an issue, but a possible difference in configuration that I can think of off the top of my head.

I agree. It would be nice to differential this as much as possible to help anyone else who might have a similar problem. Are you using MacOS High Sierra version 10.13.5?

When I started, I thought files were getting lost in transit between cache and data drives. These are the things I had disabled one at a time as part of troubleshooting:

1. use cache - no

2. security - private to public

3. finally Enhanced OSX Interoperability: disabled 

Step 3 proved to be the fix for me, as Photoshop files were being sent to Recycling after every save even with steps 1 and 2. I have since reapplied steps 1 and 2 and with use cache - yes and security - private, I am still not losing any files to the recycling bin.

Archived