Permissions problem

rctneil

Hey,

I have a share that I have set up for read/write permissions for a particular user.  I am connected to the share as that user but when I try to move files around eg: move some files into a sub folder it states: "Items can't be copied to <foldername> because you don't have permission to read them."

How can I solve this?  They are my files, I created them, I put them there in the first place and just want to do a bit of organisation.

I can't see any other settings for altering permissions.

I am using latest stable version fo Unraid as of right now and MacOS Mojave 10.14.2

Usually, these problems are caused by the owner and group settings being wrong.  (They should  nobody   users   )  You can find what the settings are for the files in question by using the following command in the built-in terminal window:

ls -al /mnt/user0

You will have to append the appropriate directory name onto this command until you get to the directory in question.  (You can use the up-and-down arrow keys to recall a previous command and the left-and-right arrow keys to edit commands.) 

20 minutes ago, Frank1940 said:

Usually, these problems are caused by the owner and group settings being wrong.  (They should  nobody   users   )  You can find what the settings are for the files in question by using the following command in the built-in terminal window:

ls -al /mnt/user0

You will have to append the appropriate directory name onto this command until you get to the directory in question.  (You can use the up-and-down arrow keys to recall a previous command and the left-and-right arrow keys to edit commands.) 

Thanks,

The file I am trying to move is set to nobody users right now.

Edited by rctneil

What is the owner groups of the directory that you are trying to move them into:  If you are not familiar with reading Linux/UNIX  ownership and permissions, you might want to copy-and-paste the output of the ls command for that directory to your next post.  This  is a typical output line for a directory listing (in this case Media ). 

drwxrwxrwx 1 nobody users 4096 Dec 27 15:20 Media/

The leading "d" indicates that this is a directory and not a file.

Also made sure that The files in question have read and write permission turn on.  These permissions should be 

-rw-rw-rw-

at a minimum. 

Edited by Frank1940
2 minutes ago, Frank1940 said:

What is the owner groups of the directory that you are trying to move them into:  If you are not familiar with reading Linux/UNIX  ownership and permissions, you might want to copy-and-paste the output of the ls command for that directory to your next post.  This  is a typical output line for a directory listing (in this case Media ). 

drwxrwxrwx 1 nobody users 4096 Dec 27 15:20 Media/

The leading "d" indicates that this is a directory and not a file.

Here you go: drwxrwxrwx 1 nobody users        10 Dec 30 12:21 earthvids/

1 minute ago, Frank1940 said:

I edited my earlier post while you were working...

Ah, apologies for missing that.  Ah, this may be where the issue is then.  This is the file listing of some of the files I wish to move:

-rwxr-xr-x 1 nobody users 129673290 Jan 31  2010 0607140001.AVI*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 nobody users  54927326 Jan 31  2010 0607150042.AVI*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 nobody users  18711090 Jan 31  2010 0607220012.AVI*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 nobody users   8191992 Jan 31  2010 0607220054.AVI*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 nobody users   3517162 Jan 31  2010 0607220153.AVI*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 nobody users  37403464 Jan 31  2010 0607220154.AVI*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 nobody users 119289442 Mar 27  2009 0607290040.AVI*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 nobody users  26904190 Jan 31  2010 0607290130.AVI*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 nobody users  25747920 Jan 31  2010 0607290131.AVI*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 nobody users  69012944 Jan 31  2010 0607290156.AVI*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 nobody users   2354906 Jan 31  2010 0607290160.AVI*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 nobody users 139155750 Jan 31  2010 0607290161.AVI*

You do not have write permission on those files.  That is what the w attribute means.  This can be temporarily fixed by running the Docker Safe New Perms tool.  (I believe it is a part of the Fix Common Problems plugin.)  You can use the New Permissions tool if you don't have any Dockers.  

Next problem you have is the how those permissions got set that way...  Ask yourself, what wrote those files?  

Just now, Frank1940 said:

You do not have write permission on those files.  That is what the w attribute means.  This can be temporarily fixed by running the Docker Safe New Perms tool.  (I believe it is a part of the Fix Common Problems plugin.)  You can use the New Permissions tool if you don't have any Dockers.  

Next problem you have is the how those permissions got set that way...  Ask yourself, what wrote those files?  

Ok, I'll take a look into that plugin.  I do have Dockers so will look at the first one you recommended.  Those files were some I ahve had for years and years and years.  They have just followed me from computer to computer, Windows to Mac a very long time ago and only recently been moved from an external USB drive to the relatively new Unraid server.

I just thought it's about time I reorganised the files I shoved in folders called "To sort out later".  It's past time!

I'll let you know how I get on.   Thanks

I have a quick question. I have a number of folders that I can't write to...  Same share folder, some can open, some can not. I ran the Docker safe new per and some got fixed and others didn't. I did it again and they all worked. The next day (or so) the same folders couldn't be opened again..   Could I have a drive starting to mess up? 

On 12/30/2018 at 10:14 AM, rctneil said:

They have just followed me from computer to computer, Windows to Mac a very long time ago and only recently been moved from an external USB drive to the relatively new Unraid server.

Depending on how you move them, permissions can get trashed.  (ie: RoboCopy on windows completely messes up permissions.  Normal write operations are not affected)