replace parity drive and 1 failed data drive

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looks like you rebooted after rebuild and before getting diagnostics. Don't know why you would have rebooted, but when you do syslog is lost and so no record of what happened before. The OS and all its working files like syslog are in RAM and so don't survive reboot.

Other than that, everything looks OK to me including SMART for all disks. Just to get some more eyes on it though, if you look at the Dashboard page, are there any warning SMART indicators on any of your disks? Probably you do have warnings about the fact they are all completely full so I don't mean that. Just look at the SMART line.

Also on Main - Array Devices, is it all zeros in the Errors column? Probably would be anyway since you rebooted.

very strange i was watching as the rebuild was in it's final moments and 100% did not reboot after it finished.  Also on top right of page it says my uptime is 10 hours now, would suggest i haven't rebooted?

On the Dashboard page that disk 1 that i rebuilt has 1 smart warning "UDMA CRC error count: 3931

On Main Tab it is all zeros in the errors column.

Edited by crizz11

Your right no reboot I just misunderstood syslog.

CRC errors are typically connection issues and not disk issues. They may have been in the past since the counter doesn't reset. If you click on that warning you can acknowledge it and it won't warn again unless they increase.

So I think you can go ahead with just the regular parity replacement.

Stop, shutdown, replace parity, boot, assign new parity disk, start to begin building new parity.

23 minutes ago, trurl said:

Stop, shutdown, replace parity, boot, assign new parity disk, start to begin building new parity.

ok so this is the best and safest method to replace parity?, rather than making the new 10tb drive parity2 and then removing parity 1?  I guess the old parity disk can be kept around and put back in if something goes wrong with building new parity to the new 10tb?

Then I would say your risk with just replacing parity is not that great. If you did go the parity2 route, you would be stuck without parity1 since they aren't interchangeable, or you would have to have another big disk to get to dual parity, at least temporarily.

If you do want to have the original parity as a backup then you must not write to the array until you are satisfied that you no longer need the old parity, since obviously it wouldn't be valid anymore if you wrote anything to the array without it.

On 1/8/2019 at 2:24 PM, jonathanm said:

add the second 10TB as an XFS data drive and copy the 3TB and one of the 4TB to it for file system migration.

Hi jonathan, parity is currently rebuilding onto one of the new 10tb drives.  When this is done i want to do what you suggested above and copy or move the data from the 3tb drive that at some point has shown errors onto the second 10tb formatted as xfs.  What is the best method for moving files from one disk to another disk please?

10 minutes ago, crizz11 said:

Hi jonathan, parity is currently rebuilding onto one of the new 10tb drives.  When this is done i want to do what you suggested above and copy or move the data from the 3tb drive that at some point has shown errors onto the second 10tb formatted as xfs.  What is the best method for moving files from one disk to another disk please?

I assume that you want to replace the 3TB drive with a 10TB one?   If so the best way to proceed would not be to copy the data off the existing 3TB drive, but instead follow the process for rebuilding its contents onto the new 10TB drive.     This has the advantage that the 3TB drive is kept with its contents intact (in case anything goes wrong with the rebuild).

the process to achieve this is:

• stop the array
  • unassign the 3TB drive
  • start the array (you should be warned that you are unprotected and the 3TB drive is being emulated).    This step causes unraid to ‘forget the current 3TB assignment).
  • 9optional) check that the emulated drive has the contents you expect as this is what the rebuild process will put onto the rebuilt drive).
  • stop the array
  • assign the new 10TB drive to the slot previously used by the 3TB drive.   UnRAID will now tell you that starting the array will cause the disk to be rebuilt.
  • start the array.   The rebuild process will now start.

the rebuild will take as long as it took to build the 10TB parity disk (as it writes to every sector on the drive being rebuilt) so will take some time.

Thanks itimpi, nice method, will give this a try when parity finishes rebuilding to the 10tb parity drive.

Just to confirm, if in Settings, Disk Settings i have "Default file system" set to "xfs" when I assign the new 10tb drive to the slot the 3tb was in previously, the system will first automatically format this new 10tb disk as xfs?

1 hour ago, crizz11 said:

Just to confirm, if in Settings, Disk Settings i have "Default file system" set to "xfs" when I assign the new 10tb drive to the slot the 3tb was in previously, the system will first automatically format this new 10tb disk as xfs?

Not necessarily.   The rebuild process always rebuild a disk with the same file system as the disk it is replacing.   It cannot be used to change the file system type.   If you want to change the file system type then you have to use a copy method as changing the file system format wipes any existing data.

59 minutes ago, crizz11 said:

ok so i really want to move forward with xfs on the new 10tb drive.  after I add this new 10tb drive and format it as xfs, what would be the best method to move files from the 3tb drive onto the new 10tb xfs formatted drive?

Depends on your skill level. "Best" is not helpful if you can't accomplish it.

1. You don't want to move the files, you want to copy them. This accomplishes 2 things. It keeps the original available as a backup and compare to check the copy was successful, and it is much faster than moving because a move deletes the source files, which is EXTREMELY slow on a full ReiserFS disk.

2. There are MANY methods available to copy data from one disk to another in unraid. Be sure that for this specific purpose you NEVER work with /mnt/user paths, always /mnt/diskX when using console or docker. If you do it over the network, only work with the disk shares, never user shares. Then when you are totally done with the migration, I recommend turning disk shares back off.

a. console command line rsync

b. console command line cp

c. console text GUI midnight commander

d. docker GUI Krusader

e. docker GUI Dolphin

f. network client copy with disk shares enabled

Pick a method that you feel comfortable with, and ask for details accomplishing the copy if you need them.

BTW, if you add your old parity drive as a data drive as well as the 10TB, you should have enough free space on the array to copy all your data to the newly formatted XFS drives. Then after you are satisfied that all data has been copied, you can either remove all the old drives and keep them as backup, or leave them in the array and format them as XFS for additional space.

If you choose to remove drives from the array you must rebuild parity after the drive(s) is/are gone.

All of your disks are full ReiserFS. If you rebuild disk1 onto the new larger disk, it will still be a ReiserFS disk. It has plenty of capacity to hold all the other contents from the other disks so you can reformat them as XFS, but unless you also upsize one of the other disks, you won't have room in the rest of the array to hold the contents of disk1 so it can be reformatted to XFS.

Another approach would be to add the new disk to a new slot, if you have room for it. It would be an empty XFS disk that could hold all the contents of the other disks so they could be reformatted to XFS. But that would leave you with more disks in the array, including disk1 (which may be OK) that you had wanted to replace or remove.

After the conversion to XFS, you could remove disks if you wanted, but you would have to rebuild parity.

So, if you have space for an additional drive, you could go that way.

Or you could replace/rebuild/upsize disk1, but you would also need to do the same to another disk to have enough room to complete the conversion.

Another possibility would be to make some room by copying stuff off of the array to another computer or external disk.

jonathanm suggested another possibility while I was typing. Going without parity so you can use that disk for holding data for the conversion, then building parity at the end. I don't disagree with that method either.

Another way to move the data around is the Unbalance plugin. That wasn't around back when we all did our conversions but I think many people have used it for this. I think it moves rather than copies though. I haven't used it recently and it has evolved.

thanks for your help everyone i think i have enough info to move forward.  Started looking into Krusader and that looks nice and friendly, will give this a go after the parity rebuild finishes.

So after i copy all files from disk1 (3tb) to new 10tb xfs drive, i then shutdown, remove disk1 , start back up and do parity sync again?  Then after parity sync i could add original 4tb parity drive into disk1 slot as a new data drive in the array?

2 minutes ago, crizz11 said:

thanks for your help everyone i think i have enough info to move forward.  Started looking into Krusader and that looks nice and friendly, will give this a go after the parity rebuild finishes.

So after i copy all files from disk1 (3tb) to new 10tb xfs drive, i then shutdown, remove disk1 , start back up and do parity sync again?  Then after parity sync i could add original 4tb parity drive into disk1 slot as a new data drive in the array?

If you are going to end up with an additional disk at the end. then I don't see any point in removing disk1.

Just add the 10TB to a new data slot in the array. It will become an empty XFS disk.

Copy all data from all other disks to that new disk.

Reformat all other disks to XFS.

Replace/rebuild disk1 onto the old parity disk.

No need to rebuild parity at any point.