Jump to content
neuk34

rebuilding a disk, then no more filesystem

15 posts in this topic Last Reply

Recommended Posts

Hello,

 

Hope you're well.

I'm experiencing a problem : my disk9 failed. So I went to the store, I bought a new one, and I launched rebuild disk.

I noticed that disk 8 was counting many errors (around 480 Million) while disk9 was rebuilding.

Rebuild disk9 was a success, but my disk8 lost its filesystem.

I don't know if my parity is valid.

IMG_2019.thumb.PNG.509211b531ae08337f5e74f0fbf8eace.PNG

 

IMG_2020.thumb.PNG.1cbe4c0dfab258521892ffec073b90e2.PNG

What should I do?

formatting and rebuilding a new file system, then launch a rebuild to recover data?

or should I try to recover my filesystem using xfs_repair -v /dev/md8?

 

thanks for your help

Capture.JPG

Edited by neuk34

Share this post


Link to post
12 minutes ago, neuk34 said:

I noticed that disk 8 was counting many errors (around 480 Million) while disk9 was rebuilding.

Since there's only one parity that would mean the rebuilt disk will be severely corrupt, start by posting the diagnostics, ideally the ones that include the rebuild.

Share this post


Link to post

Unfortunately diags are after rebooting, but disk9 looks healthy, likely dropped offline during the previous rebuild, and since it's on a SAS2LP it wouldn't be that surprising, you can rebuild disk8 again, it might not be perfect but it would be better than it is now.

 

Also I see sync errors during various parity checks, was that never a concern for you?

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks ! I launched format and rebuild disk on disk8 : all datas has been lost. Moreover, disk8 has been disactived.

I set a new disk8 trying to recover my datas thanks to parity.

break on legs !!

 

Presently, datas on others disk cannot be displayed : all directories have disappeared, dunno why.

Edited by neuk34

Share this post


Link to post

Format is NEVER part of the rebuild process. Format is a write operation. It writes a new empty filesystem to the disk. Unraid treats that write operation exactly as it does any other write operation, by updating parity. So, after the format, parity agrees the disk has an empty filesystem. If you rebuild after formatting a disk, the result is a formatted disk.

Share this post


Link to post

The data on the other disks should not be affected. What do you mean about the directories have all disappeared. Do you mean you can't see your shares on the network?

 

I hope you have another copy of anything important and irreplaceable.

 

Post another diagnostic.

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, trurl said:

The data on the other disks should not be affected. What do you mean about the directories have all disappeared. Do you mean you can't see your shares on the network?

There's file system on corruption on disk9, I didn't mentioned it before so the OP could deal with disk8 first, but since he "solved" the problem by formatting disk8, now run reiserfsck on disk9:

https://wiki.unraid.net/Check_Disk_Filesystems#Checking_and_fixing_drives_in_the_webGui

 

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, trurl said:

Format is NEVER part of the rebuild process. Format is a write operation. It writes a new empty filesystem to the disk. Unraid treats that write operation exactly as it does any other write operation, by updating parity. So, after the format, parity agrees the disk has an empty filesystem. If you rebuild after formatting a disk, the result is a formatted disk.

It's a misunderstanding. When Johnnie wrote : "you can rebuild disk8 again", i thought it was OK to rebuiild filesystem through a format. I guess I lost 2 To of data. great.

 

3 hours ago, trurl said:

The data on the other disks should not be affected. What do you mean about the directories have all disappeared. Do you mean you can't see your shares on the network?

 

I hope you have another copy of anything important and irreplaceable.

 

Post another diagnostic.

I can access my shares, but there are empty.

 

42 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

There's file system on corruption on disk9, I didn't mentioned it before so the OP could deal with disk8 first, but since he "solved" the problem by formatting disk8, now run reiserfsck on disk9:

https://wiki.unraid.net/Check_Disk_Filesystems#Checking_and_fixing_drives_in_the_webGui

 

OK, i'm still waiting data rebuild for disk8, that lead to nothing, because it seems that I've lost my data when I cliecked on "format".

I will check a reiserfsck asap.

By the way, third time I lost a disk, and i've never been able to rebuild any of them. Does it comes from my hardware supermicro? Should it be better with a H330 dell raid card?

 

thanks

nas-diagnostics-20190115-0915.zip

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, neuk34 said:

By the way, third time I lost a disk, and i've never been able to rebuild any of them. Does it comes from my hardware supermicro? Should it be better with a H330 dell raid card?

SASLP/SAS2LP are not recommended for some time, they can drop disks without reason, recommend replacing it with an LSI HBA, any LSI with a SAS2008/2308/3008 chipset in IT mode, e.g., 9201-8i, 9211-8i, 9207-8i, 9300-8i, etc and clones, like the Dell H200/H310 and IBM M1015, these latter ones need to be crossflashed.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

SASLP/SAS2LP are not recommended for some time, they can drop disks without reason, recommend replacing it with an LSI HBA, any LSI with a SAS2008/2308/3008 chipset in IT mode, e.g., 9201-8i, 9211-8i, 9207-8i, 9300-8i, etc and clones, like the Dell H200/H310 and IBM M1015, these latter ones need to be crossflashed.

The Adaptec HBA 1000-8i should also work.

Share this post


Link to post

Hello,

 

On 1/15/2019 at 8:30 AM, johnnie.black said:

There's file system on corruption on disk9, I didn't mentioned it before so the OP could deal with disk8 first, but since he "solved" the problem by formatting disk8, now run reiserfsck on disk9:

https://wiki.unraid.net/Check_Disk_Filesystems#Checking_and_fixing_drives_in_the_webGui

 

Done ! conclusion : i've lost 2 To of data on my 4 To disk9 + 2 To on disk8 (my mistake to have formatted filesystem)

Is there a way to recover my disk9 data's thanks to parity?

nas-diagnostics-20190117-0937.zip

Share this post


Link to post
42 minutes ago, neuk34 said:

i've lost 2 To of data on my 4 To disk9

That's unusual, reiserfsck is usually good at repairing the filesystem with no or minimal data loss.

 

42 minutes ago, neuk34 said:

Is there a way to recover my disk9 data's thanks to parity?

No, parity can't help with filesystem corruption, you can try --rebuild-tree with --scan-whole-partition, but before doing backup current data on disk9 to another disk, also don't do any more writes to disk9, after backup start the array in maintenance mode and use:

 

reiserfsck --rebuild-tree --scan-whole-partition /dev/md9

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks for your help. I've been able to get my data back from disk8. And I've able to download the data I lose on my disk9.

I'm going to buy a new HBA card as you advised to avoid any disk dropping.

Do you think this one is OK ?

 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LSI-SAS-SATA-IT-Mode-9201-8I-6Gbps-8-Ports-RAID-Controller-Card-IT-9211-8I/142729911794?epid=15025014623&hash=item213b5d9df2:g:kC4AAOSw7p1asoVd:rk:1:pf:0

 

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, neuk34 said:

Do you think this one is OK ?

Yes, assuming it's genuine, I'm a little wary of buying Asian LSI HBAs, Intel NICs, etc, there's a chance of getting a fake, I usually prefer to buy used server pulls, but it's likely fine.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now