Crewe

USB Died and Unable to Read It

6 posts in this topic Last Reply

After trying to upgrade some plugins I encountered an error and the Web UI crashed. So I initiated a reboot from SSH, after several failed attempts to boot I connected the USB to my computer and it couldn't read it. Not sure what my next steps are to get my system up and running again.

Do you have a backup of the flash drive's contents that is not stored on the server?

Is the USB drive recognized by your computer?  If it is, then try to run  chkdsk  on it.  Your recovery process would be greatly simplified if you can get back the contents of the   config   folder/directory on that flash drive. 

I'll see if I can get chkdsk to work tonight, but it appears that I don't have a backup of the config/remember where I may have stored it... Might have been on the server :P

The most important thing is to have the key file.   If you do not know your disk assignments there are ways to work around that (but ask here for more details).  Your shares will still be there but will have all reset to default settings.

The one thing we do need to know at this stage is what information you have about how your system was set up.   If you are not sure then please say exactly what you know and ask here for the best way forward.   As long as you are methodical then you should be able to get everything running without data loss, but do not rush into doing anything you are not sure off.

There were many Bad links, which I corrected, but I still see no files on the USB Disk

H:\>chkdsk /F
The type of the file system is FAT32.
Cannot lock current drive.

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another
process.  Chkdsk may run if this volume is dismounted first.
ALL OPENED HANDLES TO THIS VOLUME WOULD THEN BE INVALID.
Would you like to force a dismount on this volume? (Y/N) y
Volume dismounted.  All opened handles to this volume are now invalid.
Volume Serial Number is 34EE-C82C
Windows is verifying files and folders...
Removing trailing folder entries from \
File and folder verification is complete.
Bad links in lost chain at cluster 218882 corrected.
Bad links in lost chain at cluster 221056 corrected.
Bad links in lost chain at cluster 221057 corrected.
Bad links in lost chain at cluster 221058 corrected.
Bad links in lost chain at cluster 221059 corrected.
... [~2800 Lines] ...
Bad links in lost chain at cluster 242684 corrected.
Bad links in lost chain at cluster 242685 corrected.
Bad links in lost chain at cluster 242686 corrected.
Bad links in lost chain at cluster 242687 corrected.
Convert lost chains to files (Y/N)? y
536240128 bytes in 3416 recovered files.

Windows has made corrections to the file system.
No further action is required.

1,000,407,040 bytes total disk space.
        4,096 bytes in 1 hidden files.
      110,592 bytes in 1 folders.
  536,248,320 bytes in 3,418 files.
  464,039,936 bytes available on disk.

4,096 bytes in each allocation unit.
      244,240 total allocation units on disk.
      113,291 allocation units available on disk.

H:\>

However, after opening it on my Linux box there's a `FOUND.000` folder with ~3400 `FILE####.CHK` files... I highly doubt I'll be able to boot with it. Are there any keywords that I would find in the `config` file that I could potentially search on?

It would appear that that drive is total toast.  Do you have the key file?  If you don't I would start by reading this webpage:

https://lime-technology.com/replace-key/

You will probably have to contact LimeTech using the e-mail address at the bottom of the page to get a new copy of your original key file.

The purchase a quality brand name flash drive (preferably USB2) of less than 32GB.  Download the version of Unraid that you want to use.  Install it on that flash drive.

Now tell us what you remember about your server.  How many parity drives did you have assigned?  How many data drives?  How many cache drives.  You might also mention the size of the various drives.  Did you do a screen capture (or webpage printout) of the drive assignments?  

Edited by Frank1940