[SOLVED] Standard Docker Template settings return if deleted after restart

Hello,

got a strange problem with my containers, if i delete a port or a variable and replace it with a new one the deleted variable is again on the Docker page after a restart of the Unraid Server.

Here is a link to the comment where the problem is described exactly *click*

Have i done something wrong or is this a standard behavior? I thought that if i delete something on the docker page it's deleted and won't come back since a new template is created on the server with the filename 'my-[name_of_the_container]'.

Regards

Edited by ich777

That is the normal behavior when you remove something that is in the original template. I think it was added in case someone accidentally deleted something in the template that was needed.

The only way to get around this is to enable authoring mode in docker settings, go to the correct template and then remove the address to the template. Don't remember the name of the field now, but you will see it.

One can change the value of the port or whatever it is one want to change, but as soon as you set it either empty or delete it, it will be added back.

31 minutes ago, saarg said:

That is the normal behavior when you remove something that is in the original template. I think it was added in case someone accidentally deleted something in the template that was needed.

But would it not be easier if you just go to the Community Applications and redownload it if you accidentially delete something (since all templates that were edited are saved as mentioned above 'my-(nameofcontainer)')?

The only way to get around this is to enable authoring mode in docker settings, go to the correct template and then remove the address to the template. Don't remember the name of the field now, but you will see it. 

Sorry but can't find authoring mode, is this inside the template when i click on 'Add Container' or is it at the 'Settings' -> 'Docker' page of Unraid?

One can change the value of the port or whatever it is one want to change, but as soon as you set it either empty or delete it, it will be added back.

Hmmm for my containers that's sub perfect... (if you NAT Steam ports let's say from 27015 to 27016 you can see the server when you enter 27016 but can not connect since Steam want's to connect to the origin port 27015 and not 27016).

Btw, thank you for your quick response... ;)

Edited by ich777

You have to ask limetech why they implemented this.

You enable authering mode, as I wrote, in docker settings. So Settings --> Docker. You also need to stop docker before you get all settings. Maybe also switch to advanced view.

I'm not sure I get the meaning of the port issue.

If steam needs port 27015, you have to keep it at that port.

Edited by saarg

If this is happening after a reboot, then you would have to post the diagnostics

It's more likely though that this is happening after checking for updates to the containers, in which case the template dictated by the author is downloaded again, and any missing ports are added back.  As @saarg states, the solution is to remove the TemplateURL entry from the template.

The reason for this is so that if an author updates the app and it requires a new port it is all set up properly already.

59 minutes ago, saarg said:

You enable authering mode, as I wrote, in docker settings. So Settings --> Docker. You also need to stop docker before you get all settings. Maybe also switch to advanced view.

Thank you will try that when i'm at home.

1 hour ago, saarg said:

I'm not sure I get the meaning of the port issue.

If steam needs port 27015, you have to keep it at that port.

Sorry my bad Steam ports are in a typical range from 27015-27030 and if you run for example a CounterStrike:Source server that has 27015 assigned and you want to run a another let's say a CounterStrike:GO server you need to change the port from 27015 to 27016 (so you must delete the 27015 port since you can't change the container port on the Docker page and create a new one), i hope this explains this a little bit.

15 minutes ago, Squid said:

If this is happening after a reboot, then you would have to post the diagnostics 

I ask @Jo7410 if he can post his logs here. Is it btw possible that Unraid checks on startup for updates?

17 minutes ago, Squid said:

It's more likely though that this is happening after checking for updates to the containers, in which case the template dictated by the author is downloaded again, and any missing ports are added back.

Good to know, also can confirm that this is happening if you press the button 'Check for Updates' and also at CA Auto Update.

18 minutes ago, Squid said:

The reason for this is so that if an author updates the app and it requires a new port it is all set up properly already.

Good reason for this to implement to Unraid...

@Squid Can i delete the TemplateURL (leave it blank) in the templates in my github so that this doesn't happen everytime to the users that download my gameserver or is this a 'required' entry in the templates?

6 minutes ago, ich777 said:

@Squid Can i delete the TemplateURL (leave it blank) in the templates in my github so that this doesn't happen everytime to the users that download my gameserver or is this a 'required' entry in the templates?

It's not a required entry

7 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Is it btw possible that Unraid checks on startup for updates?

Can't 100% remember.  Not something I pay much attention to

• Like 1