bobbintb

Need ideas for power on buttons for VMs

4 posts in this topic Last Reply

Posted (edited)

I'm trying to think of a way to power on a specific VM using a power button. I want to get it as close operating a normal PC as possible. Either wake it from the attached mouse/keyboard or some kind on custom made button or something that powers it on. Maybe it sends a WOL packet. I know sending a WOL packet from my phone is an option but that's not quite what I'm looking for. Any ideas? Anyone know what options there are? Maybe even something like a hacked Amazon Dash button or Raspberry Pi Zero or something? Or something less complicated.

Edited by bobbintb

I have a similar need for one of my VMs that occasionally locks up. The screen and keyboard/mouse is some distance from my unRaid server so I need to find a way to force reset the vm that’s easy for the family.

Fortunately, I’m into home automation and have a Node-Red docker running on my server. In there, I’ll be able to set up a flow to call virsh  reset and power on commands to the unRaid server. Once that’s set up, I’ll just need to trigger them.

One idea is to use an amazon echo so it can be done via voice eg “Alexa, turn on the computer”.

another is to use a physical button such as this z-wave remote to get the job done:  https://amzn.to/2ZX1MF9

it's a high priority project for me so will be done soon. I’ll report back on success, or otherwise.

On 9/7/2019 at 3:04 PM, TSM said:

That's useful, thanks. I'd still like to keep power button functionality though, if possible.