Maximum # of Drives?

fonzie

These are the current parts I bought for my first unRAID server, but before I purchase the remaining parts, I need to know exactly what I need to get.

Motherboard: ASUS M4A785-M

CPU: AMD Sempron 2.8GHz

RAM: 2GB Corsair XMS 675MHz (2x1GB sticks)

Parity Drive: Hitachi Deskstar 2TB 7200RPM HDD

Storage Drive: WD Green 2TB WD20EARS

--Still need Power Supply and Case

-What is the maximum amount of drives that my motherboard can support at full speed? I'm planning on using all green drives for storage.

-what PSU would you recommend with this setup?

*This setup will be used for streaming to my XBMC front-ends throughout the house (currently two) and eventually run SABNzb+, sickbeard, couchpotato once I learn how to use all of them.

**Also, people are always mentioning to put your jumpers on pins 7 and 8 of the WD20EARS but I've never heard where you can acquire them?  Can someone help me out with that too please.

Thanks.

I recommend buying jumpers locally since you will generally pay more for shipping than you will for the jumpers themselves.  I bought a bag of 100 for $12 at a local electronics shop.

As for a PSU, if you want to max out your build at 16 drives, I would recommend jumping on the Corsair 650W that is currently on sale (that PSU can actually support upwards of 22 drives).  Normally I would suggest the Antec Neo Eco 500w or the Corsair 550w, but both are currently more expensive than the Corsair 650w.

Now the only case I know of that can support 16 drives without wasting drive bays is the Norco RPC-3116 for $280.  However, the Norco 4220 sometimes goes on sale for about $300, so if you can catch it at that price I think it is a better deal (even if you don't use those last 4 drive bays).

If instead you prefer building your own case, I would recommend using the CM 590 (looks like you'll need to buy it elsewhere) and some good quality 5-in-3 units, such as the SuperMicro ones or the Icy Dock model.  Just keep in mind that you will get 15 drive bays, not 16, and the cost will likely be higher.

If instead you are looking for something smaller, like a 12 drive build, I would recommend following the Budget Box guidelines.

Finding jumpers isn't always as easy as one thinks it should be.  I literally went to 7 computer stores and elctronics shops and only 1 store sold any, and they came as part of a large "parts kit" that cost $30.  Luckily, the service department at TigerDirect gave me one.  After that, i went to the local recycling center where they accept old computers for disposal.  They let me have all the jumpers i could get to without making a mess.  :)  Only problem is old computers are generally not toolless cases.

Alright, so this is an updated parts list of what I currently own:

Motherboard: ASUS M4A785-M

CPU: AMD Sempron 2.8GHz

RAM: 2GB Corsair XMS 675MHz (2x1GB sticks)

Parity Drive: Hitachi Deskstar 2TB 7200RPM HDD

Storage Drive: WD Green 2TB WD20EARS

PSU: Corsair 650W (thanks Rajahal)

Case: ?

It's been established that the maximum amount of drives I can have is 16, now I have to decide the most cost effective way of reaching this setup.  I don't want the Norco's because I've heard they are pretty noisy, plus they're expensive, and also they are pretty huge.  I don't need hot swap capability either.

I'm leaning towards the Antec 1200 with 4 Scythe SCY-HDSX4 Hard Disk Stabilizers.  That would allow for 16 drives perfectly.  The case and stabilizers would run me about $200 total.  Are there any better recommendations for me?  I like building PCs so that's not a problem.

That's a good choice, it will come out looking nice as well.  You should have no problems with cooling.  That's probably about the cheapest solution you can get as well.

You could also consider the COOLER MASTER STB-3T4-E3-GP 4-in-3 Device Module Hardisk Cage (again, 4 of them).  They probably won't look as nice, but each one comes with a fan to cool the drives.  If you live in a very hot place, this might be important.  Otherwise, the Sycthes should serve you fine.

You could also consider the COOLER MASTER STB-3T4-E3-GP 4-in-3 Device Module Hardisk Cage (again, 4 of them).  They probably won't look as nice, but each one comes with a fan to cool the drives.  If you live in a very hot place, this might be important.  Otherwise, the Sycthes should serve you fine.

An Antec 1200 with Scythes also has fans in front of the drives. And is cheaper. You'll need to buy an additional 120mm fan if you use 16 drives, but that's cheap. Click "My Rig" in my sig for more info.

...**Also, people are always mentioning to put your jumpers on pins 7 and 8 of the WD20EARS but I've never heard where you can acquire them?  Can someone help me out with that too please.

Thanks.

If you're really stuck you should be able to find them at Radio Shack. They call them 'DIP Shunt Shorting Jumpers', they come in a pack of 10 for 99 cents, item # 276-1512.

yeah, nielt0 I was referred to your rig and that is where I came up to this conclusion.  In the long run I will probably be buying the Antec 1200 with the Scythes.  For now, I'm probably going to reuse my old Antec P160 with 3 drives and see if unRAID is the right fit for me (I'm almost certain it is because of this great community).

I found the jumpers on ebay at good prices.

http://cgi.ebay.com/100-Jumpers-2-54mm-Shunts-CD-DVD-Rom-Hard-Drive-Shunt-/350405321831?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5195c8e467

yeah, neilt0 I was referred to your rig and that is where I came up to this conclusion.  In the long run I will probably be buying the Antec 1200 with the Scythes.

FYI, it's a real pain removing/replacing/adding drives with this setup. The price of the Scythes has also increased (in the UK at least) since I posted my rig.

Today, I'd probably go with something like a Norco, but that wasn't readily available here when I built mine.

So just to clarify, the 2.54mm are acceptable for WD20EARS hard drives, correct?

So these would work:

http://cgi.ebay.com/100-Jumpers-2-54mm-Shunts-CD-DVD-Rom-Hard-Drive-Shunt-/350405321831?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5195c8e467

neilt0,

You are actually making me second guess purchasing the Antec 1200 and get a Norco instead.  It would be a little bit extra and even though I don't need hot swap bays, the convenience may be worth it.  The server will be in a closet, but still the noise does concern me somewhat.  If anything, I would probably got with the NORCO RPC-3116 that Rajahal recommended.  Has the perfect amount of drives that my mobo can handle.

neilt0,

You are actually making me second guess purchasing the Antec 1200 and get a Norco instead.  It would be a little bit extra and even though I don't need hot swap bays, the convenience may be worth it.  The server will be in a closet, but still the noise does concern me somewhat.  If anything, I would probably got with the NORCO RPC-3116 that Rajahal recommended.  Has the perfect amount of drives that my mobo can handle.

I can run my Antec 1200 basically silently most of the time, with the fans on low. I turn up the fan speed during parity checks.

I guess it depends on whether you think you'll upgrade the drives frequently. In my case, I had a lot of 500GB drives, and these have been upgraded as I buy new drives. If you have a machine filled with 2TB drives, you won't ever upgrade the drives unless you also upgrade the motherboard to one that supports 3TB drives.