Ryzen 5 3600 build freezes daily

MattFaz

I recently build a new UnRaid server with the following relevant parts:

• Motherboard: ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4 AM4 Motherboard (link)
  • CPU: AMD RYZEN R5 3600 (link)
  • RAM: Team T-Force Vulcan Z 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3000MHz (link)
  • PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower GX1 Series 600W 80+ Gold (link)
  • GPU: MSI GeForce GT 710 2GB GDDR3 (link)

I am running ~20 Docker Containers and 1 headless Debian VM.

At least once a day the Server appears to lock up, and I am unable to access it until I perform a hard shutdown/restart.

I haven't been able to isolate the issue, I originally thought it was maybe Sabnzbd using the cores the VM runs on and maxing it out causing a crash, so I isolated CPU 5 & HT 11, then have the VM just using those. Additionally I read some people faced issues with VMs when the Cache was not XFS format, so I changed to XFS format on my Cache.

There is plenty of free CPU power and RAM as shown in the screenshot below.

image.thumb.png.1a703cf4b43db057a1ef8ae79233d00f.png

That didn't seem to help though, so I connected a monitor to the GPU and it displays the following screen when it crashes:

Is this the C-State issue I have seen mentioned? I thought that was meant to be resolved with these newer Motherboards/CPU?

image.thumb.png.1702b24dde7c9402070bec314913c894.png

7 hours ago, trott said:

try to change the Power Supply Idle Control in bios to typical current idle, I'm fine with that using x470+3700x

You shouldn't need it for anything later than 1000-series processors, but it won't hurt. In case you struggle to find it it's usually at Advanced -> AMD CBS -> Power Supply Idle Control in the BIOS. Give it a try and report back to let us know if it makes a difference.

• Like 1

So despite the Motherboard stating it doesn't need updating to support Ryzen 3, and the C-State issue apparently not existing in Ryzen 3 I believe that is exactly what it was. I have updated the Motherboard now and haven't faced any issues, surprising that was required considering the board came out mid this year I believe?

Regardless - glad it is now sorted. Has been stable for ~5 days now and enjoying the significant power increase over the old HP Microserver N54L!

• Like 1
  • 4 years later...
On 11/4/2019 at 3:53 AM, MattFaz said:

So despite the Motherboard stating it doesn't need updating to support Ryzen 3, and the C-State issue apparently not existing in Ryzen 3 I believe that is exactly what it was. I have updated the Motherboard now and haven't faced any issues, surprising that was required considering the board came out mid this year I believe?

Regardless - glad it is now sorted. Has been stable for ~5 days now and enjoying the significant power increase over the old HP Microserver N54L!

Sorry for the necrosurrection. But what exactly did you change to make it stable / work properly? The power supply control? If that's just for 1000 series how did it work for you? 

Edited by Sptz87

Best practices for all Ryzen -

• Don't manually overclock (allow the CPU to handle it)
  • Set memory timing based on this FAQ.  Mind the Single/Dual Rank and the number of DIMMs used.  (Also don't go by the marketing speed, but see what the true native speed of the DIMMs you are using).
  • Typical Idle Current is generally the fix for Unraid freezes.  Locking up C-States fixes things too, but may be a bit heavy handed/overkill.