Email notifications stopped working after upgrading to 6.7.2 (SOLVED)

Hello All,

I had email notifications set up with Unraid 6.6 and it was working flawlessly to my gmail. I had to manually upgrade to Unraid 6.7.2 because I only had 300 mb free in my /tmp folder (so the web update kept failing due to running out of space) using the manually copy all bz* files and a few other files method to USB memory drive. I also replaced my cache drive (to a bigger one) and converted my array hard drive from Reiserfs to XFS after the Unraid version upgrade. The 6.7.2 upgrade worked however now I discovered my email notifications stopped working. I triple checked my email settings (which were retained) and they are all correct. I even tried my yahoo mail and another gmail smtp server without success. When I send a test email Unraid gives me a message that says "Test Result." I looked in the logs and the last line is, "Nov 16 05:27:09 Microserver emhttpd: cmd: /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix/scripts/tail_log syslog" 

I have attached my diagnostic log as well.

Thank you,

Tom

microserver-diagnostics-20191116-1129.zip

Edited by hoxbox382
solved
30 minutes ago, trurl said:

Something is filling rootfs, probably the cause of your upgrade problem also. What dockers do you have?

I have duplicati and PlexMediaSever and mapped to user and cache drives (see screenshot attached).

I also did "df -h" and currently have 275M free on rootfs (screesshot 2)

docker1.png

df.png

39 minutes ago, hoxbox382 said:

I also did "df -h" and currently have 275M free on rootfs

Yes, that df is what I was looking at in diagnostics, but I see I was fooled by the fact that it was 67% used because you have so little RAM.

Can you add more memory? I don't recommend trying to run dockers without at least 4G, and more is better.

Your little RAM is the reason you had to upgrade manually, and is possibly the reason your email is failing. You could try disabling the docker service, reboot, then see if the email will work.

33 minutes ago, trurl said:

Yes, that df is what I was looking at in diagnostics, but I see I was fooled by the fact that it was 67% used because you have so little RAM.

Can you add more memory? I don't recommend trying to run dockers without at least 4G, and more is better.

Your little RAM is the reason you had to upgrade manually, and is possibly the reason your email is failing. You could try disabling the docker service, reboot, then see if the email will work.

Yeah I actually have 10gig of RAM but only showing 1.7 usable? (see screenshot).  Maybe my RAM went bad? I tried disabling docker and still cannot send any email out. 

EDIT:

Added Output of "dmidecode -t 17" I have 2 GIG and and 8 GIG RAM.

It looks like Unraid is only using the 2 GIG RAM. When I get home I will try to swap out the RAM into different slots and see.

root@Microserver:~# dmidecode -t 17
# dmidecode 3.2
Getting SMBIOS data from sysfs.
SMBIOS 2.7 present.

Handle 0x1100, DMI type 17, 40 bytes
Memory Device
        Array Handle: 0x1000
        Error Information Handle: Not Provided
        Total Width: 72 bits
        Data Width: 64 bits
        Size: 2048 MB
        Form Factor: DIMM
        Set: None
        Locator: PROC  1 DIMM  1 
        Bank Locator: Not Specified
        Type: DDR3
        Type Detail: Synchronous Unbuffered (Unregistered)
        Speed: 1600 MT/s
        Manufacturer: HP     
        Serial Number: Not Specified
        Asset Tag: Not Specified
        Part Number: 669237-071          
        Configured Memory Speed: 1333 MT/s
        Minimum Voltage: 1.5 V
        Maximum Voltage: 1.5 V
        Configured Voltage: 1.5 V

Handle 0x1101, DMI type 17, 40 bytes
Memory Device
        Array Handle: 0x1000
        Error Information Handle: Not Provided
        Total Width: 72 bits
        Data Width: 64 bits
        Size: 8192 MB
        Form Factor: DIMM
        Set: 1
        Locator: PROC  1 DIMM  2 
        Bank Locator: Not Specified
        Type: DDR3
        Type Detail: Synchronous Unbuffered (Unregistered)
        Speed: 1333 MT/s
        Manufacturer: HP     
        Serial Number: Not Specified
        Asset Tag: Not Specified
        Part Number: 647658-081          
        Configured Memory Speed: 1333 MT/s
        Minimum Voltage: 1.35 V
        Maximum Voltage: 1.5 V
        Configured Voltage: 1.5 V

ram.png

Edited by hoxbox382
additional info
4 hours ago, John_M said:

If you remove the 2 GB DIMM is it then able to use the 8 GB DIMM? Does your motherboard allow unbalanced RAM configurations? Most work best with matching sets of DIMMs.

Ok I'm stumped. I pulled the 2 GB and tried the 8 GB in both Slot 1 and Slot 2 (I only have 2 slots). Both times Unraid still shows "Usable size: 1.8 GiB" even though it sees 8 GiB ram total. Not sure what's going on now. I attached another Diagnostics for what it's worth.

RAM.png

microserver-diagnostics-20191117-0119.zip

Well I figured out my memory problem. 

Turns out when I was messing with Xen a while back I have the following in my syslinux.cfg

label Xen/unRAID OS
  menu default
  kernel /syslinux/mboot.c32
  append /xen dom0_mem=2097152 --- /bzimage --- /bzroot

After changing the "menu default" to

label unRAID OS
  menu default
  kernel /bzimage
  append initrd=/bzroot

now Unraid can see all the RAM now! I guess I just lived with 2 gb of RAM for the last few years since and didn't notice it now since I run so little docker lol.

As for the email problems I went ahead and cleaned out a lot of out of date plugins (that are now included with Unraid) I had before including ssmtp, apcupsd, and powerdown and now emails are now sending!

Thank you all for the help.