Get flash backup from console?

1 hour ago, hawihoney said:

I can get diagnostics from console. Is it possible to get a flash backup from console as well? I mean that same archiv I get when I call the flash backup from GUI.

Currently this is a manual act here. I would like to add that to my backup job.

Thanks in advance.

In addition to backing up the appdata share, you can get a scheduled backup of the flash drive through the CA Backup/Restore Appdata plugin. It will also backup your libvirt.img if you have any VMs.

Thanks. I don't use this backup plugin. I do have a self written complex backup environment (three different internal stores, two different external stores, four different timed roles). I would like to use that for automatic Flash backup creation as well.

Is it possible without the plugin - from console - or with a wget/curl call to the Web GUI?

1 minute ago, hawihoney said:

Sorry, don't understand. /boot and what command?

The question was: Can I issue Flash zip creation via Console?

/boot is the flash drive mount point.  If you want to backup the flash drive via a script or some other "self written complex backup environment" that is the path, with all subdirectories and files that you want to backup.  it is certainly possible to backup the /boot path via rsync or rclone from the CLI/console depending on your backup needs and destination.

It is not clear how you are doing your backup, just what you want to backup.  Perhaps a bit more detail on how you currently do your backups would be helpful.

For example from a remote server(not your unraid box):

scp -r root@tower:/boot usb_backup

would create a folder called usb_backup locally and copy everything from /boot on your unraid box. You can then create an archive or pipe the scp output directly to an archive. This will not create a differential backup but it won't be that much data.

Edited by soja
20 minutes ago, hawihoney said:

Sorry, don't understand. /boot and what command?

The question was: Can I issue Flash zip creation via Console?

You have to provide more details.  I was assuming that you already had a scheme/system in place to do a backup somewhere off of your server.  You also have to decide where you want to put the backup.  (Backing up to the flash onto one of its server shares is not the best practice for a number of very practical reasons.)   

If you share the flash drive via SMB, you can zip the entire contents with any zipping tool on your PC.  The file ends up on your PC which is a good place for it.  (When you need a backup of your flash drive, your server will probably not be working!) 

I fail to understand why you think you need a command line command to back up the Flash Drive with Unraid.  Those of us who support Unraid via this forum direct the user to the command line only as a last resort.  By the way, there is a way to backup the Flash Drive from the GUI.   Main  >>>   Boot Device  Then click on "Flash" under the 'DEVICE' column. Under the Flash Device Settings tab, you will find a 'FLASH BACKUP' button.