QEMU Agent build for unRAID as VM

here runs unRAID 6.8.1 now as VM under Proxmox. all is fine so far, but i admit, i don't use VMs inside unRAID (as that can be very tricky with performance). using quite a few dockers and plug-ins, all runs fine.

Proxmox as the hypervisor uses KVM/QEMU itself to run VMs. so it would be great to have QEMU Agent support for unRAID as being run as VM (the QEMU agent would then report some informations back to the hypervisor).

there's one guy, which did a VMware Tools build for his ESXi as hypervisor. but (and that's fine) he won't/can't do it for the QEMU Agent.

so if anybody, or LimeTech, could bring support for the standard QEMU/Agent – that would be fine.

thx. alot.

PS: Proxmox is free (based on Debian) and has no limitations whatsoever. it can use all (from Debian supported) hardware, offers (built in) ZFS as filesystem and has a quite good GUI and also a respectable user base & forums. it can be (and is offered) with prof. support if wanted.

Edited by s.Oliver
  • Like 2

Hi,

I just realized that QEMU Guest Agent is part of standard QEMU package, and it is already on unRAID. Just add following line before "/usr/local/sbin/emhttp &" in /boot/config/go file:

/usr/bin/qemu-ga -l /var/log/qemu-ga.log -d

You can try running it directly in terminal, just be sure that QEMU Guest Agent is enabled in Options on VM Options section.

Best regards,

Maciej

• Like 4
On 1/30/2020 at 12:03 AM, maciekb said:

Hi,

I just realized that QEMU Guest Agent is part of standard QEMU package, and it is already on unRAID. Just add following line before "/usr/local/sbin/emhttp &" in /boot/config/go file:

/usr/bin/qemu-ga -l /var/log/qemu-ga.log -d

You can try running it directly in terminal, just be sure that QEMU Guest Agent is enabled in Options on VM Options section.

Best regards,

Maciej

hey Maciej,

i can report: it works! thanks alot! 😃

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

I know its an old topic, but using UNRaid 6.9.2 and I have qemu-gest-agent running, it shows the IP in proxmox but I can not shut the UNRaid VM down from proxmox.  I have to log into the UNRaid gui and shut it down from there.

Is this a bug with the guest agent version UNRaid has or am I just missing a setting or something?

• 5 months later...
On 5/6/2021 at 2:05 AM, BrownHP800 said:

I know its an old topic, but using UNRaid 6.9.2 and I have qemu-gest-agent running, it shows the IP in proxmox but I can not shut the UNRaid VM down from proxmox.  I have to log into the UNRaid gui and shut it down from there.

Is this a bug with the guest agent version UNRaid has or am I just missing a setting or something?

i guess it's because unRAID ignores the power button pressed event from the QEMU agent.

• 8 months later...

For anyone curious, shutdowns now work from a hypervisor (proxmox) from my testing of 6.10.3

Which is pretty nice.

Broadcast message from root@hostname (Sat Jul  2 17:08:23 2022):

hypervisor initiated shutdown 
The system is going down for system halt NOW!

Session was closed
Linux 5.15.46-Unraid.

• Upvote 1
  • 8 months later...
On 7/2/2022 at 5:22 AM, AshranPewter said:

For anyone curious, shutdowns now work from a hypervisor (proxmox) from my testing of 6.10.3

Which is pretty nice.

Broadcast message from root@hostname (Sat Jul  2 17:08:23 2022):

hypervisor initiated shutdown 
The system is going down for system halt NOW!

Session was closed
Linux 5.15.46-Unraid.

UnRaid newbie here, can you explain how to activate the proxmox agent in Unraid, I have it running in a VM on proxmox, everything works perfectly fine except for the guest agent, it is enabled on the VM, but it shows as not running on the Summary, I am on the latest Proxmox and UnRaid 6.11.5  

38 minutes ago, D34DPUULL said:

UnRaid newbie here, can you explain how to activate the proxmox agent in Unraid, I have it running in a VM on proxmox, everything works perfectly fine except for the guest agent, it is enabled on the VM, but it shows as not running on the Summary, I am on the latest Proxmox and UnRaid 6.11.5  

I use the go file located on the boot disk /boot/config/go

add this entry below the existing commands:

/usr/bin/qemu-ga -l /var/log/qemu-ga.log -d &

As a test you can run this in the command line to get the agent running for the current session, it should show up in proxmox straight away.

The go file will run this command on subsequent reboots.

• Thanks 3
  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/24/2023 at 8:18 PM, tjb_altf4 said:

I use the go file located on the boot disk /boot/config/go

As a test you can run this in the command line to get the agent running for the current session, it should show up in proxmox straight away.

Thank you so much, this works perfectly! 

• 4 months later...
On 3/25/2023 at 1:18 AM, tjb_altf4 said:

use the go file located on the boot disk /boot/config/go

Thank you!

Now I can shutdown Unraid from inside the proxmox webinterface!

• 6 months later...

Hello everyone,

I inserted this command in the GO file and everything works, now in ProxMox i see the IP address.

However, in the unRAID LOG I see that every 10 seconds or so it continues to write: Mar 25 16:16:22 Riddler qemu-ga: info: guest-ping called

Is all this normal?

Thanks in advance!