I'm confused. Getting out of space errors

rykr

I'm just getting started with Unraid and I have 2 data drives, an 8TB and 4TB drive.  The 4TB drive is essential 100% full.  I have a docker container that is writing config to /mnt/user/appdata/ChannelsDVR and it's throwing out of space errors. I *thought* that Unraid would automatically use both drives.  The share for app data is set to use disk1 and disk2 but I noticed that it is also set to not only split on the top directory.  So it *sounds* like it's saying that the app data folder always lives on one drive and since that drive is out of space my docker container complains.

if that is the case that a bit crappy.  Who wants to be contactly checking each drive to see if some top level folder is too big.  I'm used to the zfs world where it really is one big volume and you never have to worry about these issues.

Do I need to set all my shares to split on any directory?

I mistyped above. The share is set to *only* split on top level. So I assume that means that it decides what drive to put it on at the top level but once the ChannelsDVR folder was put on disk1 then all of it stayed on1 and with disk1 being out of space the *folder* was out of  space. Is that the proper "normal" setting?  Only split on top level?

Be sure that you have set the Minimum Free space for each share:

Shares   >>>  <Share Name>   >>>   Share Settings   Then 'Minimum free space:"  If you turn on Help, you will find this:

The minimum free space available to allow writing to any disk belonging to the share.

Choose a value which is equal or greater than the biggest single file size you intend to copy to the share. Include units KB, MB, GB and TB as appropriate, e.g. 10MB.

IF the file is larger than the free space available on the drive on which the file would normally be written, Unraid will cause the write to fail.

1 hour ago, rykr said:

I mistyped above. The share is set to *only* split on top level. So I assume that means that it decides what drive to put it on at the top level but once the ChannelsDVR folder was put on disk1 then all of it stayed on1 and with disk1 being out of space the *folder* was out of  space. Is that the proper "normal" setting?  Only split on top level?

There is no ‘normal’ setting - it is what the user prefers.    By setting it to only split at the top level you have TOLD Unraid not to use any other disk.    If you wanted Unraid to be free to use the other disk you should have the split level for the share set to allow splitting of lower levels (I think the default for most shares is to allow splitting at all levels).

6 hours ago, rykr said:

Use Split level:

.) Automatically split any directory as required

or

.) Split only the top level directory as required

Edited by Zonediver