upgrading to 5.0?

So when 5.0 is released how will the update process work?  

1. For example, I assume all my shares will be fine but what about some of the scripts I have installed like air video, etc?  Will they work or will I have to wait till they are updated?  

2.  Will it totally over right everything like a fresh install?  What if I want to start over with a fresh install but keep my shares, can I do this?

thanks

I have been running 5.0b2 for a while.  It works fine with all of the addons I use (which is only a few like UPS support, powerdown script, and unmenu).

The install changes some of the security files (e.g., passwd).  So once you install it, it is not so easy to go back to 4.x.  But if you keep a backup of your config directory, you can replace the security files and go back if you need to.

But once you install it, there is a security script that you need to run.  Once you do that, you may not be able to go back to the 4.x world (I'm not sure about this).  I created some custom Samba shares that allow me to run 5.0b2 without running the security script, which I still haven't run.  Note that I do NOT use user shares, so I am unsure if the security update is required for user shared to function properly.  I do know that the disk shares will not work until you run the security script.

Hope this helps.  Let me know if I can help answer other questions about 5.0b2.

But once you install it, there is a security script that you need to run.  Once you do that, you may not be able to go back to the 4.x world (I'm not sure about this).

Just as a piece of information (don't blame me if sth goes wrong):

I have successfully changed back to 4.6 from 5.0b2 (updated from 4.6 to 5.0b2 doing all the steps in the readme.txt incl. 'New Permissions' ).

I couldn't get rid of a number of problems (worst of all accessing some of my shares) so I had to return.

Apart from backup copies of bzimage, bzroot I made backup copies of "config/smbpasswd" and "shares" (folder), maybe some other files.

I'm not 100% sure but I think AirVideo was working flawlessly. I did have to uninstall the php add-on.