How to run memtest headless?

9 minutes ago, cinereus said:

Haha thanks. Seems a bit of an oversight. Couldn't it be run in a VM somehow? Or at least log the results to the USB it's running from? I'm not really able to buy a VGA monitor and VGA cable to leave running for checking 128 GB RAM.

memtest must run as the only thing, no OS or anything else running.

Not sure who you think has made an oversight here. This is the way memtest always works on everything, and Limetech didn't write memtest.

15 minutes ago, trurl said:

memtest must run as the only thing, no OS or anything else running.

Not sure who you think has made an oversight here. This is the way memtest always works on everything, and Limetech didn't write memtest.

I know, I've used memtest for years and I didn't mention limetech.

Presumably memtest itself takes up some memory which then can't be tested? And is there any reason why it can't write its results?

41 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

Did you miss my post or is your signature out of date?

I missed your post. Are you saying there is a way to run it headless after all? How do I do this with IPMI then? I can't get Java to ever open .jnlp files.

(btw found reference to a weird version of memtest that does seem to allow saving a report: https://www.idownloadblog.com/2017/06/08/test-ram-integrity-memtest86/)

Edited by cinereus
1 hour ago, johnnie.black said:

Google IPMI and how to use it, there's nothing you can do with a keyboard/mouse that can't be done with IPMI.

I have a keyboard/mouse. It's just the monitor I'm missing. Looking at IPMI I can't see how to run memtest via the command line tool but perhaps using the web GUI is easier. The only issue there is I can't get the Java console to work at all (edit okay got it working in IE).

But if you say it's pointless with ECC RAM can I just skip this step and just keep an eye on the IPMI system event log?

Edited by cinereus
22 minutes ago, cinereus said:

But if you say it's pointless with ECC RAM can I just skip this step and just keep an eye on the IPMI system event log?

Yeah, do that instead, server will keep working normally after any correctable RAM error and it will be logged on the SEL, you'll usually also get a warning if FCP is installed, if there's an uncorrectable error the server will halt to avoid data corruption.

You should also look into how IPMI works, very useful for servers, and you can store away the keyboard.