Refund

Hi:

Really hate to do this but I just bought a new NUC with my Stimulus and was trying to get GPU passthru to work  but apparently this is not possible with a AMD Radeon Vega GPU. I have switched back to Windows to take full advantage of my hardware and was wondering if it's possible for a refund on unRaid? I've only had it activated for 3 days.

Thanks,

Please Advise

3 hours ago, Fith said:

Hi:

Really hate to do this but I just bought a new NUC with my Stimulus and was trying to get GPU passthru to work  but apparently this is not possible with a AMD Radeon Vega GPU. I have switched back to Windows to take full advantage of my hardware and was wondering if it's possible for a refund on unRaid? I've only had it activated for 3 days.

Thanks,

Please Advise

You need to contact Limetech by email (Contact link at bottom of forum) as they will not necessarily see any forum messages.

13 minutes ago, Fith said:

Do you really want to force people into a PayPal dispute instead of "Doing the right thing" ?

You could have used Unraid for 30 days with the trial license to test it. That was the "right thing" to do. If you actually read PayPal's user agreement, you can easily learn that an item may not be considered Significantly Not as Described if the item was properly described but did not meet your expectations. 

I'm pretty sure LT will refund you, but not because you are right. LT likes to keep their customers satisfied.

• Like 4
26 minutes ago, Fith said:

Do you really want to force people into a PayPal dispute instead of "Doing the right thing" ?

Man, I feel for you but that's why they have a 30-day trial and this forum. You have an entire month to try things out before you even need to think about purchasing anything (you can even request a longer trial), and you can ask almost anything here on the forum and get a quick answer. The Unraid team puts everything out there for you and gives you the resources to figure out if it's the right OS for you. I'm sorry you rushed into it without doing your homework first.

• Like 5
38 minutes ago, Fith said:

Cool...  I never once would have thought that I could walk into a brick and mortar store buy a piece of software and then later decide I didn't want it and subsequently return it...  Guess since I've never been quite willing to shell out the coin for an up to date Office suite that now I can get it easily for free :)  

51 minutes ago, Fith said:

I don't want anything for free...Does someone here want to buy my License?

I can't use it if it will only use 1/2 of a $800 NUC's capabilities..sadly......It's very Nice OS besides that :( Although it does go totally against what Linux was founded for in the first place...Open Source and Free.....

Just because it's linux doesn't mean it has to be free. How do you think Red Hat earns money?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • 1 month later...

It has been a while since i posted on a linux-related forum or messageboard .. 

In general you can say that there is allways a tight balance between the 'opensource'  thingy and the for-proffit thingy. 

A lot of people tend to think that opensource 'must' be free and in a sence it is: 
In example quite strickt and viral atributes ar there on the terms of use on certain parts of the code:  - this is how alternative software (like: openwrt, and expenology can exist).   BUT as soon as it is your code (and not your contribution to someone-else's code)  you  may deside on the  terms of use.   thereby creating a hybrid opensource/closed-source  nonprofit/forprofit free/nonfree  piece of software. 

It can lead to verry complicated situations where people get confused about what they are entitled to:  

but let me say this; even if the viral properties of an opensource software are transmitted to other software also forcing them to be opensource   this still ONLY means that the  blablabla-verry-complicated machine code  has to be public and without restrictions other than the opensource ones. 

For example:  its perfectly legal and widely accepted to  publish the sourcecode and sell the binairies (in windows terms   provide a  code.vbs file and sell the exe file) 

but free on not free there are certain things to never do:  EVER!... 

1:   Dont try to  'bully' people into giving you a refund ....  First of all  ask people before hand if a trial version is avail,  if there is not ask about refund policies upfront.   maybe try to contact support. 

2:  if you try to involve the law:  do it correctly ... there are many websites and offices and even quite a few non-profit legal-advice organisations that are able to help you in getting what you are due:    but just never state that you have a right to .... if you dont...  its just killing all chances you have with people. 

3. dont blame other people for YOUR mistakes.... its really OK to make mistakes (they may cost you $$ but thats part of life  (you win some ..... you lose some) and if you are able to admit to what you did wrong and say you are sorry ... and be really polite about it you may end up getting stuf that you arn't entitled to just because people start to like you  .... 

4:    what whas in this topic was really disrespectfull  (and in a way my pre-edited message was too)  just DONT be disrespectfull and  make good if you where before: hence my apoligies for being too direct at first... 

so to the topic starter  i say:  ask yourself .... 

1: how did you not google  and search these forums on if/how your  igp-passthrough would work, 

2: how did you not do the  'trial license thing first. 

3: why is it never your fault ??? 

4:  and then there is the  'but on windows it works'   well if windows works for you, go use it and be happy. 
Do know however thant the licence of windows 10 forbids the use of it as a machine primairly used for remote access 
in other words: you may per licence not use windows 10 as a server  you need windows server 2019 for that. 

Edited by i-chat
the original post wasn't verry friendly ... or helpfull
  • Like 2
On 5/4/2020 at 4:28 PM, Fith said:

Does someone here want to buy my License?

And this is not possible as it's against T&C.

Lime Technology does not support the transfer of an Unraid Server OS Registration Key to a 3rd party for any reason whatsoever.

On 5/4/2020 at 2:30 PM, Fith said:

And you will loose it.

If you buy windows 10 and noticed that your device is not supported do you think you will get back your money?

Then, assuming that your hardware isn't really working with unraid, who said that unraid will not support your hardware in the future?

Edited by ghost82
On 5/4/2020 at 10:28 AM, Fith said:

I don't want anything for free...Does someone here want to buy my License?

I can't use it if it will only use 1/2 of a $800 NUC's capabilities..sadly......It's very Nice OS besides that :( Although it does go totally against what Linux was founded for in the first place...Open Source and Free.....

Just save it for your next build. You must of liked what you've seen and not have many issues if the only issue/complain is the compatibility issues with your GPU (which MAY get worked out in the future). The license is also a lifetime license which is the best thing to get when purchasing software. Specially around these times now that you even have BMW wanting to charge a subscription for their heated seats. Anyway, just save it. It may be the thing you need for your next build.

Edited by XiuzSu
typo
  • Thanks 1